Government Exit Options

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
starry eyed

Government Exit Options

Postby starry eyed » Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:04 pm

I'm still weighing school options. Biglaw is not really a priority, but neither is shit law. I'd really like to be an ADA at a major metropolitan area in Texas (or a decent size metro area). I don't know how competitive it is to get into prosecutorial work, but I assume less competitive than biglaw. I do not see myself doing government work permanently. What are the exit options for a job like this? I'm assuming in-house would not be too realistic. Would midlaw or biglaw be totally out of the realm of possibility?

twenty

Re: Government Exit Options

Postby twenty » Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:29 pm

alaird21 wrote:I'd really like to be an ADA at a major metropolitan area in Texas (or a decent size metro area).

First off, ADA spots in "decent sized metro areas" can be insanely competitive (think sub 1% hire rates). Echo chamber here, but a lot of guys that gun for ADA gigs end up volunclerking for 1-2 years before getting a spot in a large DA's office. Pick a market, go to school nearby for free, and then gun for that particular spot in that particular office like there's no tomorrow.

I do not see myself doing government work permanently.

I feel like you're setting yourself up for failure by deciding that "I'd really like to be an ADA" is conditioned by "eh, but probably not as a permanent career." If you see yourself wanting to do biglaw, then go to a T14 and gun for biglaw. It's not completely outside the realm of possibility to go ADA -> biglaw, but it is much, much easier to go T14 -> biglaw. Why make it harder for yourself than it needs to be?

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:39 pm

1L here, but why would you want to be an ADA for a few years then try to move into BigLaw? It seems pointless to start down one career path only to go back to square one on a different career path.

akili

Postby akili » Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:43 pm

I've been post-bar 'clerking' at a DA's office in Texas. There is 1 spot for 6 interns, plus they take outside applications. It's very competitive. Plus, your grades don't really matter.

Exit options as far as I can tell are moving up to felonies, moving to federal (criminal) work, or running for a judge position/other elected position. Anecdotally, I don't know of anyone who has moved to BigLaw.

starry eyed

Postby starry eyed » Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:49 pm

But Harvey from "suits" worked for the da and then went to biglaw. I guess that's pure fiction though,

starry eyed

Postby starry eyed » Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:50 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:1L here, but why would you want to be an ADA for a few years then try to move into BigLaw? It seems pointless to start down one career path only to go back to square one on a different career path.

The thought of doing just one thing my whole life is not that appealing to me... But I see your point.

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:57 pm

AUSA -> biglaw exists. ADA -> biglaw, much less so. If you want some flexibility in your career but want to start out as a prosecutor, become a federal prosecutor. (Note: This is hard to do.)

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”