Indiana University Students Answering Questions (IU Maurer) Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Baby_Got_Feuerbach

Silver

Re: Indiana University Students Answering Questions (IU Maurer)

Post by Baby_Got_Feuerbach » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:33 pm

thebobs1987 wrote:
Baby_Got_Feuerbach wrote:If you want an elite firm like L&W, &c., coming out of IU, you'll need to be within the top 1/3* to even get a look, with at least two of the following: i) Moot Court, ii) Indiana Law Journal (our "law review"), iii) leadership post somewhere within the school, i.e., as a "practice group advisor," or on the e-board of a student club, inc. SBA. Oh yeah, and you'll need to interview well.

That's not impossible. And it's more likely than your chances coming out of Loyola. Something like 15% of our class gets legitimate BIGLAW; or, roughly thirty students a year out of ~200. (May I ask why you KNOW you want BIGLAW? How come?)

That does NOT mean it would be a bet worth taking.

This may be an unpopular opinion *but I am not encouraging you to take on needless debt*: the government is making it easier to pay off student loans (see, PAYE, among other programs). All things considered IU may be the better option for you, given that your chances for meaningful employment are much greater. It's also a fun place, for what it's worth.

* - Anecdotally, this varies. I know someone slightly below median who will earn 160k in Chicago after graduation. But this person's resume (not transcript) is impressive. Mostly, this person loaded up on extracurrics and, at one point, was president or vice president of all of them. THEIR STORY IS FAR FROM TYPICAL; IT IS NOT THE NORM.

This is bad advice. To even get a look from a firm like Latham and Watkins, you'd need to be in the top 10% at IU. If you really want an elite law firm, you don't go to any non-t14. Yeah, you could luck out, but you more than likely will not. And the government may change PAYE and other programs so the debt is not worth it
Nothing I said is "bad advice." (To give bad advice would require giving any advice, period.) Maybe I'm wrong about the percentile needed to not be laughed out of the room but it was heavily qualified.

pdt1765

New

Post by pdt1765 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:37 pm

Are there any suggestions on specific apartments or areas to look for housing, or on the other hand, places to avoid?

Baby_Got_Feuerbach

Silver

Post by Baby_Got_Feuerbach » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:03 pm

pdt1765 wrote:Are there any suggestions on specific apartments or areas to look for housing, or on the other hand, places to avoid?
Hey, sorry for the delay. LRW is a time suck (but don't worry!, it's the same at every school, not just IU).

The happiest people, IME, are those who live closest to the law school (between 2nd and 7th, east of College Ave.) . I recommend http://www.padmapper.com - Craigslist, but on a map and with an easier to use search interface.

Not sure which rental co's to avoid, but I don't suggest living in a place that will cost you > $800 a person / month. Most important is knowing which complexes are saturated with undergrads. I know, the idea sounds cool to some folks -- never growing old, playing flip cup 'til you die -- but you're going to want peace and quiet. Don't live in a complex that caters to the undergrad population. (There are so many that it's impossible for me to list 'em all but throw out some names and I'll let you know).

Oh! -- almost forgot. The Facebook group for 2018 is a good place to find housing info. The school does a nice job of keeping the Excel sheet updated and there are a few upperclassmen (and current 1Ls) among the members and they're happy to answer questions about their experiences living in Bloomington.

Pequod

New

Post by Pequod » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:24 pm

Last edited by Pequod on Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Post by Nonconsecutive » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:58 pm

Pequod wrote:Hi all, I am hoping some IU students can speak to the racial atmospheres of the school, the city of Bloomington, and the state of Indiana in general. I am not white. Upon visiting schools at the top of my list, I have experienced racism in the form of shit-talking, name-calling, etc. This was quite a surprise to me... Nevada has been good to me. Though I did not experience any overt racism during my short visit to Bloomington last week, I have to ask... is moving to a KKK hotbed state a bad idea for me or do you think the racism has toned down/is very negligible? Knowing that campuses are usually more diverse and liberal than the surrounding area, I am not as worried about the school as I am about working in the state of Indiana afterward. Can anyone speak to this?
Bloomington is more akin to mars than it is to the rest of Indiana.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lawschoolbound13

New

Post by lawschoolbound13 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:26 am

Does Maurer have a dress code?

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Post by Nonconsecutive » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:24 pm

lawschoolbound13 wrote:Does Maurer have a dress code?
Yes, clothes are required.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”