Paralegal Interview Prep

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
gatesome

Paralegal Interview Prep

Postby gatesome » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:18 pm

Any advice or suggestions?

4LTsPointingNorth

Re: Paralegal Interview Prep

Postby 4LTsPointingNorth » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:40 pm

What type of law firm?

gatesome

Postby gatesome » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:42 pm

4LTsPointingNorth wrote:What type of law firm?

business litigation

a branch of law i have very little familiarity with :?

4LTsPointingNorth

Postby 4LTsPointingNorth » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:45 pm

gatesome wrote:

business litigation

Prepare some anecdotes about how organized you are and how you enjoy working toward tight deadlines. Bonus points if you already color code binder tabs for fun; if not, you soon will.

hill1334

Postby hill1334 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:21 pm

4LTsPointingNorth wrote:
gatesome wrote:

business litigation

Prepare some anecdotes about how organized you are and how you enjoy working toward tight deadlines. Bonus points if you already color code binder tabs for fun; if not, you soon will.

Working as a paralegal, I have tabbed hundreds of binders over the last year and a half, but I never have actually used color coded binder tabs. I guess I have been lucky.

OP, I participated in the interview process at my firm last spring. I have the following suggestions:
1) If, like my firm, the firm you are interviewing at would like a two year commitment, emphasize your desire to fulfill that commitment.
2) Stress your willingness to work long hours and to work weekends. If you have examples of when you have worked long hours in the past, other than just at school, that is a plus. FYI--you most likely will work really long hours.
3) Demonstrate an interest in law. As I mentioned above, my firm is very interested in having paralegals stay on for at least two years. A genuine interest in law makes it more likely that an individual will do so.
4) Demonstrate a knowledge of how civil litigation actually goes down. I think this is a better way of showing interest in the job than having superficial knowledge regarding the law firm you are interviewing at (though that might be worth having as well).
5) Stress attention to detail, organization, time management, and any computer skills you may have.
6) It may be too late for this one, but make sure your resume is formatted perfectly and is internally consistent. My manager sees an inconsistently formatted resume as being evidence of a lack of attention to detail.

Let me know if you have any questions.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:50 pm

When I interviewed my paralegal at my old firm, she didn't have any experience in transactional work. The two biggest things I was looking for were attention to detail and a willingness to learn something new. I also wanted to know why the switch to a new area of law. I would have a good explanation for that.

cookiejar1

Postby cookiejar1 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:19 am

Showcase your attention to detail and your ability to follow asinine directions to a tee.

scrowell

Postby scrowell » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:42 am

Dazzle them with your fabulous personality.

GOATlawman

Postby GOATlawman » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:48 am

hill1334 wrote:2) Stress your willingness to work long hours and to work weekends. If you have examples of when you have worked long hours in the past, other than just at school, that is a plus. FYI--you most likely will work really long hours.

Is this really true?

IME at multiple firms staff hours have been cut to avoid paying overtime and less benefits. Much cheaper to have two paras working at 30 hours than 1 para working 60

4LTsPointingNorth

Postby 4LTsPointingNorth » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:10 am

GOATlawman wrote:
hill1334 wrote:2) Stress your willingness to work long hours and to work weekends. If you have examples of when you have worked long hours in the past, other than just at school, that is a plus. FYI--you most likely will work really long hours.

Is this really true?

IME at multiple firms staff hours have been cut to avoid paying overtime and less benefits. Much cheaper to have two paras working at 30 hours than 1 para working 60

If you're working as a Big Law paralegal/legal assistant it's true. Much easier for associates to work with one para through the life of a deal/case and not have to re-explain everything, plus the Firm usually bills the para's time to the client at more than 5x the para's overtime rate anyway

GOATlawman

Postby GOATlawman » Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:40 pm

4LTsPointingNorth wrote:
GOATlawman wrote:

Is this really true?

If you're working as a Big Law paralegal/legal assistant it's true. Much easier for associates to work with one para through the life of a deal/case and not have to re-explain everything, plus the Firm usually bills the para's time to the client at more than 5x the para's overtime rate anyway

That's funny because I was referring to biglaw firms I've worked at, OL

Apparently some, but it is certainly fewer firms these days than in the past.

Just because a para is working less hours doesn't mean you need more paras per case, it means that para won't be on as many matters

gatesome

Postby gatesome » Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:49 pm

Interview is tomorrow ... any last tips?

Thanks everyone

cookiejar1

Postby cookiejar1 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:22 pm

Are you interviewing with a biglaw firm? If so, read a little bit about them if they're listed here: http://www.chambers-associate.com/Search/FirmList

AReasonableMan

Postby AReasonableMan » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:31 pm

I would imagine that for this position, fit is even more important than it is for SA's.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”