Finding legal jobs before law school Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
gatesome

Bronze

Finding legal jobs before law school

Post by gatesome » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:38 pm

Last year I graduated from a competitive university with good grades. I am currently searching for a job. I have several summers of legal internship experience, and I have been applying for many entry-level jobs with titles such as Legal Assistant, Paralegal, Legal Secretary, and Legal Support Analyst. I only apply for jobs that I strongly feel I am well qualified for and I spend multiple hours on each application, tailoring cover letters and researching the company/firm/organization. Sadly I haven't had much luck recently.

Does anyone have any suggestions for finding a legal job pre-law school?

I am especially interested in Public Interest and Government jobs, but I am also applying to several law firms. An example of an ideal job would be working with public defenders in NYC, or for a litigation (criminal or otherwise) law firm in Virginia. I'm looking for advice from people who have worked in the field before law school, or who have recently searched for a job.

middlebear

Silver

Re: Finding legal jobs before law school

Post by middlebear » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:01 pm

gatesome wrote:Last year I graduated from a competitive university with good grades. I am currently searching for a job. I have several summers of legal internship experience, and I have been applying for many entry-level jobs with titles such as Legal Assistant, Paralegal, Legal Secretary, and Legal Support Analyst. I only apply for jobs that I strongly feel I am well qualified for and I spend multiple hours on each application, tailoring cover letters and researching the company/firm/organization. Sadly I haven't had much luck recently.

I am especially interested in Public Interest and Government jobs, but I am also applying to several law firms. An example of an ideal job would be working with public defenders in NYC, or for a litigation (criminal or otherwise) law firm in Virginia. I'm looking for advice from people who have worked in the field before law school, or who have recently searched for a job.
So I became a Big Law paralegal straight out of undergrad. Honestly, it sounds like you're working a lot harder than I did on the apps, so I've got 2 questions:

1-have you interviewed with any of these employers? In my experience, it's less about qualifications (I had literally zero internship experience in any field) and more about if they feel like you'll get along with everyone and are an intelligent person, because frankly being a paralegal is all but unskilled labor (and I say this as a paralegal). I interviewed for 2 sections at my current firm, and am working where I am--in the one that is not at all applicable to my skill set, whereas the other was directly related--solely because of the personalities doing the interviewing.

2-how broadly are you applying? From what I know, PI/Gov't jobs are actually much, much more competitive at entry-level than private firm gigs, because we all want them. Suck it up and do Big Law if you have to, it's still a great teacher.

gatesome

Bronze

Post by gatesome » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:11 pm

middlebear wrote:
gatesome wrote:Last year I graduated from a competitive university with good grades. I am currently searching for a job. I have several summers of legal internship experience, and I have been applying for many entry-level jobs with titles such as Legal Assistant, Paralegal, Legal Secretary, and Legal Support Analyst. I only apply for jobs that I strongly feel I am well qualified for and I spend multiple hours on each application, tailoring cover letters and researching the company/firm/organization. Sadly I haven't had much luck recently.

So I became a Big Law paralegal straight out of undergrad. Honestly, it sounds like you're working a lot harder than I did on the apps, so I've got 2 questions:

1-have you interviewed with any of these employers? In my experience, it's less about qualifications (I had literally zero internship experience in any field) and more about if they feel like you'll get along with everyone and are an intelligent person, because frankly being a paralegal is all but unskilled labor (and I say this as a paralegal). I interviewed for 2 sections at my current firm, and am working where I am--in the one that is not at all applicable to my skill set, whereas the other was directly related--solely because of the personalities doing the interviewing.

2-how broadly are you applying? From what I know, PI/Gov't jobs are actually much, much more competitive at entry-level than private firm gigs, because we all want them. Suck it up and do Big Law if you have to, it's still a great teacher.
1. I had one Big Law paralegal interview in NYC during undergrad. It went okay, but I got the feeling the whole time like they had the position filled. For example, they made excuses why some people who should have been there didn't show, etc. It was good practice though.

2. Broadly in terms of employer type (gov't/nonprofits/law firms/banks), but very selectively in terms of geography. I have been sticking to NYC and DC. I know they are tough markets but I really, really want to live in one of those two.

Single-Malt-Liquor

Silver

Post by Single-Malt-Liquor » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:22 pm

gatesome wrote:
middlebear wrote:

1. I had one Big Law paralegal interview in NYC during undergrad. It went okay, but I got the feeling the whole time like they had the position filled. For example, they made excuses why some people who should have been there didn't show, etc. It was good practice though.

2. Broadly in terms of employer type (gov't/nonprofits/law firms/banks), but very selectively in terms of geography. I have been sticking to NYC and DC. I know they are tough markets but I really, really want to live in one of those two.
Don't read ANYTHING into the bolded. Anyone who's been through OCI and had more than three or four callbacks will tell you a story about this happening. Biglaw lawyers get called onto stuff all the time. It happened to me a few times and I still got offers, it's a client service business and nothing comes before the client, not even potential employees.

middlebear

Silver

Post by middlebear » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:25 pm

gatesome wrote: 1. I had one Big Law paralegal interview in NYC during undergrad. It went okay, but I got the feeling the whole time like they had the position filled. For example, they made excuses why some people who should have been there didn't show, etc. It was good practice though.

Hey, NYC/DC are hard but they are where the jobs are, that's totally where you should be applying. Also, where are you looking? I just went on my firm's website and there are paralegal spots in both DC and NYC, and a secretary position.

One interview makes me think that your cover letter content could be off-target. Good grades/good school should just on paper be getting you more interviews, in my experience (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Also, don't be afraid to apply even more broadly. I think I had something like 40+ cover letters (most not paralegal jobs, but a good amount) saved in my application folder before I got an offer.

gatesome

Bronze

Post by gatesome » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:30 pm

Single-Malt-Liquor wrote:Don't read ANYTHING into the bolded. Anyone who's been through OCI and had more than three or four callbacks will tell you a story about this happening. Biglaw lawyers get called onto stuff all the time. It happened to me a few times and I still got offers, it's a client service business and nothing comes before the client, not even potential employees.
Makes sense, thanks.

Any tips for successful legal interviews? For my first one I prepared to either a) talk about their business or b) talk about my experience, but they ended up asking more about minor, non-legal aspects of my resume. The interview was a pleasant and we got along well but definitely a learning experience for me.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”