Capitol Hill Staffer Taking Q's Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Go Nats!

New

Capitol Hill Staffer Taking Q's

Post by Go Nats! » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:26 pm

It's been years since I've been on here, so mods, if this is the wrong place to post something of this nature please let me know.

I wouldn't have gotten into the T14 without this site so just wanted to give back a bit. TLS is notoriously focused on Biglaw (for good reason) so I doubt that my experience will be helpful to most of you. But if you are interested on working on the Hill and have questions about the process, please let me know.

For background, I've been on the Hill for a year and started immediately started working here after I took the bar exam. To be precise, it was a week after and I still felt like I was in a coma! I originally was on a fellowship from my law school and after four months had two offers and accepted a position working on policy. I love every second of it. Still imagining someone is going to pinch me awake.

Winter is Coming

Bronze

Re: Capitol Hill Staffer Taking Q's

Post by Winter is Coming » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:37 pm

Thanks for doing this. Kind of a personal question, but part of the reason I've never really considered policy-related positions like yours is because of the pay and my loan situation (just started 1L, I have a decent scholarship at a lower T14, but still plenty of debt). What is your debt situation like and how are you dealing with it? Is your position considered PSLF eligible?

cookiejar1

Silver

Post by cookiejar1 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:40 pm

What kind of exit options exist (if at all) for those exiting biglaw at a large DC shop, e.g. WilmerHale?

Go Nats!

New

Post by Go Nats! » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:59 pm

Winter is Coming wrote:Thanks for doing this. Kind of a personal question, but part of the reason I've never really considered policy-related positions like yours is because of the pay and my loan situation (just started 1L, I have a decent scholarship at a lower T14, but still plenty of debt). What is your debt situation like and how are you dealing with it? Is your position considered PSLF eligible?
Can I be honest? I haven't been great about this issue because it scares the living daylights out of me.* But yes, it's considered PSLF loan eligible according to my Financial Aid office. My school's loan forgiveness program also applies.

My debt situation is bad but manageable. Since the legal market crisis was still raging when I started law school, I turned down full rides and took T14 for sticker. I don't regret the choice but my circumstances are different as I only wanted to work in public service. As I told my law school classmates, working for ten years to pay off my loans is a bonus for me because, heck, my whole life is going to be in the public sector. There is no way I would have attended a T14, let alone go to the Hill, otherwise.

*Just to be clear, this is a bad, immature habit to pick up. Know your finances and just talk to Fin Aid about it.

Winter is Coming

Bronze

Post by Winter is Coming » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:07 pm

Thanks, I appreciate the response. Just so you know, you can send in the PSLF certifying paperwork now and the DOE will give you a definitive answer as to whether or not you qualify (along with an estimate of how many qualifying payments you have left, etc.). I worked in a PI spot in between undergrad and LS and had them do this for my undergrad debt.

Good luck with everything.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Go Nats!

New

Post by Go Nats! » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:08 pm

cookiejar1 wrote:What kind of exit options exist (if at all) for those exiting biglaw at a large DC shop, e.g. WilmerHale?
Committee work or senior counsel positions in a personal office. Most counsels I know come from law firms. Revolving door bro.

Because I'm so new here and followed a rather odd path (very few people coming straight out of law school tend to hold a position like mine) I'm hard pressed to give you exact information. If your basic question is whether biglaw folks have options have quality options to work on the Hill, then the answer is yes. How to make that leap from biglaw to the Hill is something that I'd be sketchy on outlining. Like everything else in DC, it comes down to luck and who you know.

Winter: Thanks for the info dude. Hope my answer helped.
Last edited by Go Nats! on Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RSN

Silver

Post by RSN » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:12 pm

Thanks for doing this. I have to say, congratulations on being in a job you love -- but how the hell did you get that gig? Talk to almost any attorney in DC and they'll tell you JD-required jobs on the Hill are few and far between, and damn near impossible to get. I see you mentioned a fellowship -- can you talk more about that, what it involved, and how you got it?

Also, just for context, can you say if you're House or Senate and committee or personal office? Would definitely help put this in more context.

Thanks!

MyNameIsFlynn!

Silver

Post by MyNameIsFlynn! » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:34 pm

LetsGoMets wrote:Thanks for doing this. I have to say, congratulations on being in a job you love -- but how the hell did you get that gig? Talk to almost any attorney in DC and they'll tell you JD-required jobs on the Hill are few and far between, and damn near impossible to get. I see you mentioned a fellowship -- can you talk more about that, what it involved, and how you got it?

Also, just for context, can you say if you're House or Senate and committee or personal office? Would definitely help put this in more context.

Thanks!
Second the bolded.

At the moment I'm just picturing an over-educated LA

Go Nats!

New

Post by Go Nats! » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:03 pm

LetsGoMets wrote:Thanks for doing this. I have to say, congratulations on being in a job you love -- but how the hell did you get that gig? Talk to almost any attorney in DC and they'll tell you JD-required jobs on the Hill are few and far between, and damn near impossible to get. I see you mentioned a fellowship -- can you talk more about that, what it involved, and how you got it?

Thanks!
Senate. Personal. Ranked higher than an LA. I will say no more because I'm slightly paranoid. Not to be all cloak and dagger.

Nothing all that exciting about the fellowship. My law school gives fellowships out to those who interested in public interest automatically so they can support themselves during internship periods.

Unlike law firms, there's no real pipeline for Hill positions. There are so many variables you can't control - when will a position be open? How can you make sure that someone is going to vouch for you when it does become available? Who do you need to know? (Hint: Everyone) - that it can be disorienting. The key is to favorably position yourself as much as possible and not to give up.

1. Know someone:I got my internship by talking to people on Facebook who worked on the Hill. I asked them if their office had a position open or an internship. And then I locked it in. Contact anyone you can think of with a connection there. Contact alumni on the Hill. Network at Fed Soc or thinktanks or whatever. If you don't know anyone, take the time to e-mail the office or, heck, just drop by there and ask how you could apply. You have to be proactive and you have to be fearless without being annoying or pestering.

Here's another secret: There are a lot of clearinghouses for Hill positions. People should use those but lots of them were filled before they're put up. The goal here is breaking through the invisible primary. You gotta be that guy or gal who someone thinks of when they learn a position is open. They know your work. They know you're good at what you do. So they'll stick up for you. That's how it works.

2. Be here: The Hill is a tightly controlled ecosystem. Once you're in the bubble, you're in. I could go to a law firm (barf) or an agency and flip right back into the Hill. It might be difficult but it would be much easier now that I've been here. The trouble is getting in the bubble. If you want to do this, then you need to be here. I got my first offer from a throwaway e-mail request for an intern interview that I had sent months ago but was suddenly discovered. I got the call for an interview and the rest is history. If I hadn't been here for an interview, I doubt very much it would have gone anywhere.

I also probably wouldn't have gotten it if the people at my internship supervisor hadn't vouched for me. Goes back to number 1.

3. Be humble: Not sure if it's true, but I've been told of the Harvard law grad who had to start as a staff assistant - taking phone calls, doing mail, etc. Chris Matthews was Chief of Staff to Tip O'Neill but that dude used to just handle mail when he first started working on the Hill. Basically, anyone who wants to work on the Hill, especially if they have no previous Hill experience - law degree or no - needs to be willing to take their lumps unless you know somebody. I did it and I was rewarded with substantive work afterwards. If you're an established lawyer, be willing to take a stipend and do some work to test it out. I've seen lawyers do that but I totally understand why some lawyers would be unwilling to do that. These positions are so prized that there's rarely a reason to take a chance on someone who is untested in congressional work.
Last edited by Go Nats! on Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

RSN

Silver

Post by RSN » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:21 pm

Go Nats! wrote:

Thanks!
Senate. Personal. Ranked higher than an LA. I will say no more because while also being over-educated I'm also slightly paranoid. Not to be all cloak and dagger.

Nothing all that exciting about the fellowship. My law school gives fellowships out to those who interested in public interest automatically so they can support themselves during internship periods.

Unlike law firms, there's no real pipeline for Hill positions. There are so many variables you can't control - when will a position be open? How can you make sure that someone is going to vouch for you when it does become available? Who do you need to know? (Hint: Everyone) - that it can be both disorienting. The key is to favorably position yourself as much as possible and not to give up.

1. Know someone:I got my internship by talking to people on Facebook who worked on the Hill. I asked them if their office had a position open or an internship. And then I locked it in. Contact anyone you can think of with a connection there. Contact alumni on the Hill. Network at Fed Soc or thinktanks or whatever. If you don't know anyone, take the time to e-mail the office or, heck, just drop by there and ask how you could apply. You have to be proactive and you have to be fearless without being annoying or pestering.

Here's another secret: There are a lot of clearinghouses for Hill positions. People should use those but lots of them were filled before they're put up. The goal here is breaking through the invisible primary. You gotta be that guy or gal who someone thinks of when they learn a position is open. They know your work. They know you're good at what you do. So they'll stick up for you. That's how it works.

2. Be here: The Hill is a tightly controlled ecosystem. Once you're in the bubble, you're in. I could go to a law firm (barf) or an agency and flip right back into the Hill. It might be difficult but it would be much easier now that I've been here. The trouble is getting in the bubble. If you want to do this, then you need to be here. I got my first offer from a throwaway e-mail request for an intern interview that I had sent months ago but was suddenly discovered. I got the call for an interview and the rest is history. If I hadn't been here for an interview, I doubt very much it would have gone anywhere.

I also probably wouldn't have gotten it if the people at my internship supervisor hadn't vouched for me. Goes back to number 1.

3. Be humble: Not sure if it's true, but I've been told of the Harvard law grad who had to start as a staff assistant - taking phone calls, doing mail, etc. Chris Matthews was Chief of Staff to Tip O'Neill but that dude used to just handle mail when he first started working on the Hill. Basically, anyone who wants to work on the Hill, especially if they have no previous Hill experience - law degree or no - needs to be willing to take their lumps unless you know somebody. I did it and I was rewarded with substantive work afterwards. If you're an established lawyer, be willing to take a stipend and do some work to test it out. I've seen lawyers do that but I totally understand why some lawyers would be unwilling to do that. These positions are so prized that there's rarely a reason to take a chance on someone who is untested in congressional work.
Ohhh you work for Ted Cruz don't you

Nah I'm kidding, thanks for the insight. I had a few internships on the Hill during undergrad and tried to get back full time after college but it didn't come together. It's encouraging to hear that the process is relatively similar to trying to get a Hill job as a non-lawyer though (know everyone, push hard but not too hard, and don't be afraid to take something beneath you and put your time in).

FSK

Platinum

Post by FSK » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:33 pm

What're the hours like? My bud's seem to be long & random.
Last edited by FSK on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Go Nats!

New

Post by Go Nats! » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:41 pm

Your hours depend on the Member you work for and your position - I'd say it mostly depends on the member. Have there been times when I've worked biglaw hours? Yes. But I can count those on one two hands.

It's not random for me. The way Congress works you tend to know when things are going to get busy in regards to your issue area. Maybe it's biglaw hours if you're in leadership staff. I don't know.

MyNameIsFlynn!

Silver

Post by MyNameIsFlynn! » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:21 pm

Are you working on Judiciary issues or in a JD-required position?

I think the idea of Hill work is cool and the info on how to get a foot in the door is great... but it seems like law school would be unnecessary? The steps you suggest - interning, SA--> LC > LA and on depending on ability - are something a kid could do coming right out of college.

I'm really just wondering where the law school education fits in given that there's clearly not a ceiling for non-JD people (vast majority of LDs/COS are not JDs, yes?)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

gnomgnomuch

Silver

Post by gnomgnomuch » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:31 pm

Thank you SO much for doing this, this would be a dream outcome for me.

A couple questions

1) What does your typical day look like?

2) For actual policy work, does a JD or an MPP work better individually, or does a dual degree help more?

3) I know the pay isn't stellar, but is it enough to be able to live more or less comfortably in DC?

4) I've heard a lot from people about working in the top firms at DC firms can get you a position on the Hill, to what extent is that true.

Again, thank you for doing this!

jk148706

Gold

Post by jk148706 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:48 pm

republican or democrat

Elston Gunn

Gold

Post by Elston Gunn » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:49 pm

Go Nats! wrote:Your hours depend on the Member you work for and your position - I'd say it mostly depends on the member. Have there been times when I've worked biglaw hours? Yes. But I can count those on one two hands.

It's not random for me. The way Congress works you tend to know when things are going to get busy in regards to your issue area. Maybe it's biglaw hours if you're in leadership staff. I don't know.
Fwiw a good friend of mind is a low level staffer in a personal office, and he easily works BigLaw hours, especially for DC, though they are fairly predictable.

ymmv

Diamond

Post by ymmv » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:39 am

jk148706 wrote:republican or democrat
OP wrote:Network at Fed Soc
I imagine most of this advice would be pretty transferable though...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Go Nats!

New

Post by Go Nats! » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:01 am

MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:Are you working on Judiciary issues or in a JD-required position?

I think the idea of Hill work is cool and the info on how to get a foot in the door is great... but it seems like law school would be unnecessary? The steps you suggest - interning, SA--> LC > LA and on depending on ability - are something a kid could do coming right out of college.

I'm really just wondering where the law school education fits in given that there's clearly not a ceiling for non-JD people (vast majority of LDs/COS are not JDs, yes?)
I wouldn't have gotten my job without my law degree. So I would slot it under JD-required.

You're absolutely right to say that if you just want to be on the Hill a law degree is unnecessary. I've told many, many people this IRL. Go to law school because you want to be a lawyer. Don't go to law school if your primary purpose is to go into another field. If all you want is to be in politics or on the Hill, just be there. Getting into the network is more important than credentials generally. The marginal increase of prestige on your resume for having a JD is worth less than the three years of experience you would have if you just went to the Hill after college.

Still, it's a great place to start your career. And it's a networking goldmine if you play your cards right.

middlebear

Silver

Post by middlebear » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:13 am

Can I ask what you did with your summers in LS? I'm not sure about the Hill, but I definitely want to be doing gov't work, so any advice is appreciated. :)

feralinfant

Silver

Post by feralinfant » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:17 am

Can you ballpark the pay and what the career trajectory looks like? Is it really frustrating working in the current political climate?

feralinfant

Silver

Post by feralinfant » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:49 am

This may be a stupid question but what does the work actually look like/what do you do on a typical day? Are you researching/drafting bills?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”