Fordham Housing Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
the fledgling

Bronze

Re: Fordham Housing

Post by the fledgling » Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:40 pm

Also: People who are considering living outside the city--meaning outside of the five boroughs--make sure you factor in the cost of getting into the city and then getting from Grand Central or Penn or wherever to Fordham. If your rent plus transportation cost (including the subway monthly pass) is close to or equals the cost an apartment in the city just live in the city (unless of course you hate the city, but then why would you be going to Fordham?).

If you're seriously considering living outside the city you should keep up with NYC's local news as there has been some talk of increasing rail fares and bridge tolls (for instance, the LIRR's monthly ticket might increase 23% in May, bringing it from $240 a month to something like $280).

Just my advice :D

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:46 pm

the fledgling wrote:Heading to Fordham as well :D Not looking for a roommate, but as a current commuter to NYC (about 2 years now) I figured I'd give my two cents. I commute from Long Island and work four blocks from the law school. My commute's a little over an hour, except in the summer when it's longer because I walk from Penn Station to save money on the subway (fyi--they're raising the fare again, possibly up to $110 for a monthly, so budget that in). The pros: I save money, can keep my car, and the beach is down the block from me. The cons: I wake up at 6:30 to get to work at 9, my life revolves around trains and their schedules and their (increasingly many) problems, and I don't live in the city ( :cry: ).

I personally will be moving to Hells Kitchen or the Upper West side, preferably close enough to the school that I could walk. I love Manhattan and am looking forward to enjoying life without having to factor in the commute home. Sure it's expensive, but the prices have been going down and I have fortunately saved up for it. I've heard good things about Astoria (a friend has a studio for $1,100) and it is closer than Brooklyn. Can't speak to Jersey City, though I imagine the view's nice if you're close to the Hudson.

And for the record: Fordham's 2008-2009 COA budget (housing portion only) allowed for $1,875 per month for 9 months rent, and that goes down to $1,400 per month for 12 months. It isn't cheap compared to other cities but it is doable.

That is indeed very doable, and I'm glad to hear Fordham is so generous. I was fearing they'd say something ridiculous like $900 a month.

I'm going to cling to my tiny jewel box of an East Village apartment, in the vain hope that I will ever belong in this thread. I'd actually be under budget... I'm shocked.

the fledgling

Bronze

Post by the fledgling » Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:50 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:
the fledgling wrote:Heading to Fordham as well :D Not looking for a roommate, but as a current commuter to NYC (about 2 years now) I figured I'd give my two cents. I commute from Long Island and work four blocks from the law school. My commute's a little over an hour, except in the summer when it's longer because I walk from Penn Station to save money on the subway (fyi--they're raising the fare again, possibly up to $110 for a monthly, so budget that in). The pros: I save money, can keep my car, and the beach is down the block from me. The cons: I wake up at 6:30 to get to work at 9, my life revolves around trains and their schedules and their (increasingly many) problems, and I don't live in the city ( :cry: ).

I personally will be moving to Hells Kitchen or the Upper West side, preferably close enough to the school that I could walk. I love Manhattan and am looking forward to enjoying life without having to factor in the commute home. Sure it's expensive, but the prices have been going down and I have fortunately saved up for it. I've heard good things about Astoria (a friend has a studio for $1,100) and it is closer than Brooklyn. Can't speak to Jersey City, though I imagine the view's nice if you're close to the Hudson.

And for the record: Fordham's 2008-2009 COA budget (housing portion only) allowed for $1,875 per month for 9 months rent, and that goes down to $1,400 per month for 12 months. It isn't cheap compared to other cities but it is doable.

That is indeed very doable, and I'm glad to hear Fordham is so generous. I was fearing they'd say something ridiculous like $900 a month.

I'm going to cling to my tiny jewel box of an East Village apartment, in the vain hope that I will ever belong in this thread. I'd actually be under budget... I'm shocked.
Oh yeah, it's totally doable. I think people who aren't from the city or living here now are suffering sticker shock. My friend's ex-girlfriend for instance used to split $1,200 a month for a TWO bedroom apartment in Portland. Sigh.

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:01 pm

the fledgling wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:

Oh yeah, it's totally doable. I think people who aren't from the city or living here now are suffering sticker shock. My friend's ex-girlfriend for instance used to split $1,200 a month for a TWO bedroom apartment in Portland. Sigh.
Seriously! I'm curious as to Fordham's entire COA. Is it approaching 70k per year? I want to mentally prepare myself, as I swore an unbreakable oath (via my 2nd LOCI) that I would attend if admitted.

the fledgling

Bronze

Post by the fledgling » Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:08 pm

Well I was told by the Financial Aid office that they haven't calculated the tuition for '09-'10, which kinda freaked me out a bit, and then I looked in their Q&A booklet and they did say that it's set in April... Anyway, if my memory serves me correctly '08'-'09 was around $65K total (and I mean upwards of $65K unfortunately). The bulk was tuition and housing. The rest was for books, financial aid fees, and "expenses."

It's a little scary... but worth it! (my mantra)

And good luck!!!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:20 pm

the fledgling wrote:Well I was told by the Financial Aid office that they've haven't calculated the tuition for '09-'10, which kinda freaked me out a bit, and then I looked in their Q&A booklet and they did say that it's set in April... Anyway, if my memory serves me correctly '08'-'09 was around $65K total (and I mean upwards of $65K unfortunately). The bulk was tuition and housing. The rest was for books, financial aid fees, and "expenses."

It's a little scary... but worth it! (my mantra)
Yes, very much so. I was watching Rusalka at the Met (with Renee Fleming), and during the scene where Rusalka trades her voice to the witch Jezibaba to become human, it occurred to me that I was prepared to do that for admission to Fordham.

I'll be heading PI, so hopefully some of this debt will be zapped by the Federal Government. I do understand why such a large percentage of the class is intent on biglaw, though.

Thanks!

plewis01

New

Post by plewis01 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:04 pm

hey i'm like 90% set on fordham but really bummed about the whole jesuit housing rules (SO). i want to live fairly close to fordham though. 21/male/likes to go out. pm me if you're looking to maybe share a place.

VictoryFord

New

Post by VictoryFord » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:06 pm

how close do you want to be?

VictoryFord

New

Post by VictoryFord » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:19 pm

no, but i may be looking for a roommate. or moving some other place in my neighborhood.

also, i'm definitely not retaking in june. but october isn't out of the question. :(

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

VictoryFord

New

Post by VictoryFord » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:28 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:
VictoryFord wrote:no, but i may be looking for a roommate. or moving some other place in my neighborhood.

also, i'm definitely not retaking in june. but october isn't out of the question. :(
Wait, wait. Does this imply that you will not be a part of the class of 2012?

I had hoped maybe we'd be classmates somewhere. And by somewhere, I meant one place only.
i only won't be if i'm unhappy with my options. but i don't think that will happen. class of '12 ftw. cheap shots ftw.

geoanthem

Bronze

Post by geoanthem » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:29 pm

Victory, where are you leaning towards now?

plewis01

New

Post by plewis01 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:25 pm

VictoryFord wrote:how close do you want to be?
upper west side prob. pretty close. when it comes down to it, location is way more important to me than quality of the place itself. im still waiting to get off of bu waitlist though before i do any serious searching. i guess i'm also still on the fence about whether or not I want to live on campus but these jesuit rules are really rubbing me the wrong way. it's like we're not freshman undergrads, fordham.

the fledgling

Bronze

Post by the fledgling » Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:08 pm

plewis01 wrote:
VictoryFord wrote:how close do you want to be?
upper west side prob. pretty close. when it comes down to it, location is way more important to me than quality of the place itself. im still waiting to get off of bu waitlist though before i do any serious searching. i guess i'm also still on the fence about whether or not I want to live on campus but these jesuit rules are really rubbing me the wrong way. it's like we're not freshman undergrads, fordham.
You know it might not be as bad as everyone thinks. I went to a Jesuit school for undergrad and although they had the same policy Fordham does it was never *ever* enforced. Ask the admissions office to put you in touch with a law student who lived in or currently lives in the dorms. They'll be able to set the record straight.

The thing that turns me off about the dorms is that there are more undergrads living there than grad students.

There's also subsidized housing on the upper east side btw.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

s_scott

New

Post by s_scott » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:10 am

Hey Dudes.

I'm a Fordham Evening impending 2L that's looking for a roommate and an apt. for Fall 2009, hopefully in HK or the UWS.

I'm 24/male, easy going, I work at a trust company part time during the day, so I don't end up going out much all told.

PM me if anybody is looking for a roommate.

I also lived in the dorms my first year, and they're kind of shitty, but doable. Some people really seem to like it. It's annoying living with undergrads. The dorms are expensive, but it is very convenient. As a law student you can have overnight guests of the opposite sex, but you have to get a "guest pass" by talking to the RA on duty. It's a pain signing in everybody, too. But really, you only have a twin bed and no comfortable place to sit in the whole gd apartment, so you aren't gonna want to hang out there much anyway.

So, yeah, I'm moving out.

the fledgling

Bronze

Post by the fledgling » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:23 pm

Anyone else get this email?

"Greetings,

I hope you are doing well. Thank you for applying to live at Fordham's East 81st Street housing for either the summer or the fall semester.

I am writing to inform you that this summer we will be moving Fordham Graduate Housing to a new building just blocks away from the Lincoln Center campus. The transition will occur in mid-June. Because of this, we will not be offering summer housing to any new residents unless they can move in after the middle of June.

Additional information about the building and the new rates will be released in the next two weeks. We will also be redoing our website. Please stay tuned!"

I put myself on the list for grad housing just in case I needed to check it out. I have to admit that I'm now more intrigued than I was since the new subsidized housing looks like it will be much closer to the law school. Any thoughts?

plewis01

New

Post by plewis01 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:51 am

the fledgling wrote:Anyone else get this email?

"Greetings,

I hope you are doing well. Thank you for applying to live at Fordham's East 81st Street housing for either the summer or the fall semester.

I am writing to inform you that this summer we will be moving Fordham Graduate Housing to a new building just blocks away from the Lincoln Center campus. The transition will occur in mid-June. Because of this, we will not be offering summer housing to any new residents unless they can move in after the middle of June.

Additional information about the building and the new rates will be released in the next two weeks. We will also be redoing our website. Please stay tuned!"

I put myself on the list for grad housing just in case I needed to check it out. I have to admit that I'm now more intrigued than I was since the new subsidized housing looks like it will be much closer to the law school. Any thoughts?
that sounds incredible. do know how a fordham admit would officially put themselves on this sort of housing request list?

the fledgling

Bronze

Post by the fledgling » Mon May 04, 2009 7:21 pm

plewis01 wrote:
the fledgling wrote:Anyone else get this email?

"Greetings,

that sounds incredible. do know how a fordham admit would officially put themselves on this sort of housing request list?
So it took me a while to find this (it's in the fine print of their website somewhere) but here's the link: http://www.fordham.edu/student_affairs/ ... e_housing/

I put my name in a month or so ago as a back up plan since I didn't really want to live on the UES and I heard the building itself was pretty awful. They haven't updated it yet though :? Even if it's cheaper it still may be my back up plan. I'm a bit concerned that they could pull something like this next year and then I'd be out of an apartment for a month or two.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

broach911

New

Post by broach911 » Tue May 26, 2009 12:58 pm

I've begin the apartment hunt in the Manhattan area, but I was wondering of any New Yorkers could fill me in on the areas and what is considered a safe and nice area and what isn't. I've searched mainly in the Upper West Side and Midtown West, but any other suggestions of safe areas, with a non ridiculous commute time to the school?

jrock12

Bronze

Post by jrock12 » Wed May 27, 2009 12:39 pm

broach911 wrote:I've begin the apartment hunt in the Manhattan area, but I was wondering of any New Yorkers could fill me in on the areas and what is considered a safe and nice area and what isn't. I've searched mainly in the Upper West Side and Midtown West, but any other suggestions of safe areas, with a non ridiculous commute time to the school?
just curious before i start rattling off my opinions, where specifically have you looked? any luck at all?

broach911

New

Post by broach911 » Wed May 27, 2009 1:29 pm

I haven't actually gone yet to NYC, I'll be doing so at the end of June, I've mainly been looking through Craigslist, in the Upper Westside, Hells Kitchen area. Also the Harlem/Morningside area. What I would like to know is if anyone can recommend a good way to search for apartments, a good website, or subway commute times. I've mainly stayed away from the Upper East Side since I figure the subway will take forever to get to the Fordham area. Any good rental sites?

jrock12

Bronze

Post by jrock12 » Wed May 27, 2009 2:11 pm

i have a hard time saying it, but craigslist is definitely your best starting point (keeping in mind all of the disclaimers people give about the postings on there...if you dont know them, i'll gladly fill you in)

other than that, i think your best options are:
-www.rent-direct.com: they charge a fee, but i believe you get access to a lot of 'no fee' postings you'd never find in other places
-www.eberhartbros.com: mostly UES, but solid places...if you check the site right now they have a 1-br not too far from fordham on UWS for $1850/mo...listings change periodically and they are all no fee/very legit
-www.aimconyc.com: slightly more expensive, but no fee/legit
-http://howtorentinnyc.com/review.php: some unreliable links/etc, but may have some luck here going directly to mgmt companies
-check realtor's websites...the firms i've had the best luck with in the past are Corcoran (a bit higher end), Halstead (also a bit higher end), Bond, Century21, and Prudential Douglas Eliman...all have ample listings/pictures on their websites, so i definitely suggest you peruse these

as far as a website for commute times, http://www.hopstop.com isnt bad...it will atleast give you a general sense of subway routes/connections/etc

EDIT: http://www.triptropnyc.com
people have also been passing this one around for commute times
Last edited by jrock12 on Wed May 27, 2009 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

the fledgling

Bronze

Post by the fledgling » Fri May 29, 2009 8:04 pm

I recommend streeteasy.com. It compiles all brokers/owners listings on the web into one neat website. When you sign up (it's free) the site gives you your own page where you can save the apartments and buildings you like. It also allows you to create detailed searches (area, cost, amenities, no fee, etc.), which you can save to your page. Every time a new listing is added that meets your search criteria, Street Easy sends you a message with the details of that listing.

My biggest dig with Craigslist is that more often than not the listings don't give you the cross streets, let alone the actual address. I like to check out places before I commit to a broker (and their fee), plus more than a few times I've gotten into the buildings myself, so for a control freak like me who prefers to do things on her own this is a major plus. Craigslist is still invaluable though--there are listings on there that aren't anywhere else (in fact I saw a great one today).

As for area, it depends. I would say make a long list of places that look good and when you go see them you should know whether or not you'll feel safe in that area. Also try going during different times of the day, if you can. I personally am looking in the UWS and am leaving Hells Kitchen as my back up plan. I wouldn't recommend going west of 10th Ave. in Hells Kitchen (it gets industrial) and I wouldn't go above 118th in the UWS (that gets into Columbia territory anyway) because its a bit far away from the places I frequent. Good luck!

broach911

New

Post by broach911 » Fri May 29, 2009 8:32 pm

Wow thanks for the advice, street easy seems really useful

the fledgling

Bronze

Post by the fledgling » Fri May 29, 2009 8:52 pm

broach911 wrote:Wow thanks for the advice, street easy seems really useful
No problem. I love that site. It feeds my unhealthy obsession with apartment hunting.

zazalea

New

Post by zazalea » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:20 am

I'm moving out of my wonderful apartment at 56th and 9th ave in Manhattan to go to grad school and my respectful, clean roommate (a Fordham law student) is looking for someone to share our 2 bedroom apartment, available July 15th, 2009. She is looking for someone (preferably female) who will stay for at least a year. Rent is $1200 including utilities (a/c, wireless, cable, heat, etc). The room has a large window, a decent sized closet, and a big loft space for storage. The apartment looks out into the Alvin Ailey dance studio. It has a nice living room space, small kitchen, and bathroom with a tub/shower. It's 3 blocks to Columbus Circle, 6 blocks to the N, Q, R, W trains, 2 blocks to the A,B,C,D & 1 trains, and is in a fun, covenient area steps away from Fordham, Cuny, CVS, Morton Williams, Central Park West, Lincoln Center, Time Warner Center, and so much more. Security deposit is one month's rent. Let me know if you or anyone you know are interested in viewing the apartment. Pls call 516.547.4826

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”