Fordham Housing Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Night_L

New

Re: Fordham Housing

Post by Night_L » Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:41 pm

Last edited by Night_L on Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Meggie5121

New

Post by Meggie5121 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:52 am

I just paid my Fordham deposit last week and have started doing research on housing. The dorms are not an option for me because I am going to live with my boyfriend. He is going to be working in the Rockefeller Center so we really would like to live in a place between there and the Lincoln Center area. The problem is, of course, the cost of living in the midtown area. I have been looking at 1 bedroom places in the midtown area and some of them are like $2,200 a month for a 400 sq foot apartment. Would it be better to try and live in the village or even the lower east side? I am trying to balance price with convenience- just like everyone else.

We are trying to stay under $2500 ... any ideas on where the best place to live would be with this budget? Also we are both early 22 and even though we are both going to be really busy it would be nice to live kind of close to some bars and nice places to eat. I am not sure if my expectations are too high or not because I live in Atlanta now and the cost of living is wayyyyyyy less.

Any advice would be appreciated.

infinity

New

Post by infinity » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:35 am

i am looking in riverdale and upper west for now. we most likely will also look at astoria.

i've always lived in ny and worked in nyc but have always had a BIG problem paying manhattan rents so that's why i am willing to look in these other places b/c i know i'll get more for my money.

mike80

New

Post by mike80 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:42 am

Meggie5121 wrote:The problem is, of course, the cost of living in the midtown area. I have been looking at 1 bedroom places in the midtown area and some of them are like $2,200 a month for a 400 sq foot apartment. Would it be better to try and live in the village or even the lower east side? I am trying to balance price with convenience- just like everyone else.
umm. both those areas are going to be just as expensive (or more). if you're set on manh, look in hells kitchen or murray hill. you can still get good deals particularly if you're only looking for a 1 br with your bf. if you don't want to spend manh money, move to the boros. it's cheaper and you can get more space.

Darth Topher

New

Post by Darth Topher » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:10 pm

Consider "Inwood." (north most neighborhood of Manhattan)

Take the A train to class

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lsnhut7083

New

Post by lsnhut7083 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:28 pm

that's where I'm looking

Meggie5121

New

Post by Meggie5121 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:28 pm

Thanks for the responses

I have a feeling we are just going to end up paying more to live closer. He is a first year analyst for an investment bank and the hours are going to be really really rough. When he did it over the summer he normally was never home before 2 am on weeknights and he had to be back in the office by 9 am so adding a long commute to that would really be hard.

It just makes me sick to imagine paying $3,000 plus per month since my rent for an 800 sq foot place is $700 now. :cry: I guess I better just get used to it.

barrister2b

New

Post by barrister2b » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:09 am

*bump*

anyone out there in fordham land looking for roommate(s)?

jfugit

New

Post by jfugit » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:53 pm

I'm an incoming Fordham 1L looking for a roommate. Male. I'm basically looking for anywhere that isn't as expensive as the dorms, and I've been told that finding a place with a roommate is the best bet. Anyone in the same situation?

I don't live in NYC so it's hard for me to go apartment hunting. I was up there a few weeks ago to familiarize myself with the neighborhoods, though.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dyermaker16

New

Post by dyermaker16 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:02 pm

-
Last edited by dyermaker16 on Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

dyermaker16

New

Post by dyermaker16 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:08 pm

-
Last edited by dyermaker16 on Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

underdawg

Silver

Post by underdawg » Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:21 am

I want to vouch for Jersey City here. There are shitty parts, but the nice parts are nice, and the place has a strong "young people" vibe. Kind of like NYC-lite really. Not a bad place at all. Also, it seems like every Filipino person I know has cousins there, if you're into Filipinos.
Last edited by underdawg on Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

mgrogan

New

Post by mgrogan » Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:20 pm

I'll also be attending fordham in the fall and am looking for a male roommate. I'd like to stay somewhere near the school if it is at all possible but don't want to pay anything too insane. PM me if anyone is interested.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jlibou

New

Post by jlibou » Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:14 pm

I am also in the market for a roommate(s) to share a place with near Lincoln Center. I'm coming up to the city from Philly next week to check out a couple places. Send me a message if you are interested.

tracyb

New

Post by tracyb » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:49 pm

Hi there,

I just graduated from Fordham Law and have an apartment right across the street that is awesome for school. I have an open bedroom in a three bedroom apartment and need to resign by the end of july (the lease would begin August 1st) so if you want to check it out let me know! Check out my profile for pics of the apartment on facebook (marketplace). Its on the 28th floor of the Concerto and has a balcony - the doormen are awesome and there is a laundry and free gym in the building. Let me know - feel free to email me at tbookspan@gmail.com or bookspan@law.fordham.edu

-Tracy

infinity

New

Post by infinity » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:21 pm

Hi -
I will be attending Fordham this fall and know of an affordable apt share. It is on the UES but very close to subway.

Please PM me if you are interested.

barrister2b

New

Post by barrister2b » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:10 pm

for the record, finding a place in new york is retarded.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

SummaWrestler

New

Post by SummaWrestler » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:03 am

*bump*

starting fordham fall of 09, anyone looking for a roommate? 21yo female, clean, likes to go out, on a budget but the place has to be decent

jrock12

Bronze

Post by jrock12 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:37 am

if you are looking for a safe, affordable apartment hells kitchen is your best option by far...having lived in nyc for 4yrs now (3 of those in HK), i know that there are great values for studios, 1br, and 2br in hells kitchen....you are walking distance to all fordham buildings, and 42st subway station can get you to virtually every part of nyc with ease

no disrespect to all of those potentially looking to live in other boroughs or nj (more power to you, you'll be spending a lot less than i will), but i would just keep in mind how long it could potentially take to commute in everyday on a daily basis (just remember the inconsistencies of mass transit/weather/etc...)

heathbar88

New

Post by heathbar88 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:49 pm

McMahon hall isn't bad at all. Actually, the dorms are pretty nice & clean. Law students get first dibs on singles which are 3 bedroom apartments (with 3 single rooms), a bathroom, a kitchen, and a common/living room. It's about $13,000 for the school-year so it ends up being about $1500 a month, but that includes all utilities & cable.

Unfortunately, Fordham is a Jesuit school. There is no curfew, but you can't have overnight guests of the opposite sex (you can get someone else to get a pass for them, but it's annoying). You have to get a pass for guests of the same sex if they're there after 3am, and you have to sign all guests in. Also, even if you're 21, unless everyone in your room is over 21 you're not supposed to have alcohol. Oh and it is true that mostly undergrads live in the dorms.

Good luck!

SummaWrestler

New

Post by SummaWrestler » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:04 pm

does anyone know of any listings that have possible graduating 3Ls posting their soon-to-be-evacuated apartments? I know the dorms seem like a good deal, but there's a possibility of not getting in bc I'm only from Philadelphia, and priority goes to people from the furthest away. I want to be prepared to have to search for an apartment.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

chilerelleno

New

Post by chilerelleno » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:14 pm

you guys suggesting jersey city are out of your minds. the commute is horrible--takes forever and on weekends you have to ride the path through hoboken and it takes even longer. plus the path comes rather infrequently late at night and you could be waiting 30 minutes on the platform and THEN have to go through everything else. ugh. JC is lifeless and it sucks. chain restaurants, young professional condo type stuff (lame)... i personally think life is too short to commute to midtown from jersey city. if you're doing NYC, shouldn't it be go gold or go home?

but i guess people have different priorities.

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:49 pm

I am not a Fordham student, but I attended undergrad in the City, and still have a sublet in the East Village. In general, in order to take out your own lease here, you must make 40x the monthly rent annually, or you will need a guarantor who makes 80 to 120x the monthly rent, depending on your landlord or management company. In addition, you could be looking at a broker fee of 15% of the first year's rent. For these reasons, it is much easier to take over an existing lease as a subletter, as I did, or move into a vacant room in someone's apartment.

All that said, there are still bargains to be had in Manhattan, particularly on the Upper East Side, east of 3rd Ave, and above 100th St in the Columbia area, known as Morningside Heights. Your second best option is a nearby part of Brooklyn like Greenpoint or Williamsburg (the eastern fringe is fast gentrifying). I second considerations of Long Island City and Astoria. Anything else is too damn far for a law student with a full schedule!

And while my own adopted neighborhood is not cheap, you could still get luckily: I pay $1200 for an elegant room with high ceilings that is 3 blocks from Union Square, with one roommate. Believe it or not, I found it on Craigslist.

crabbycakes

New

Post by crabbycakes » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:29 pm

So I don't post much here, but I'm probably headed to Fordham in the fall. Just wondering if there are any guys our there looking for a roommate. I'm an easy-going guy and looking to get an apartment because I hear the dorms are kind of sucky. Unfortunately, I have no idea where to begin really. If there's anyone who's looking that knows something about NYC, that'd be awesome.

the fledgling

Bronze

Post by the fledgling » Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:31 pm

Heading to Fordham as well :D Not looking for a roommate, but as a current commuter to NYC (about 2 years now) I figured I'd give my two cents. I commute from Long Island and work four blocks from the law school. My commute's a little over an hour, except in the summer when it's longer because I walk from Penn Station to save money on the subway (fyi--they're raising the fare again, possibly up to $110 for a monthly, so budget that in). The pros: I save money, can keep my car, and the beach is down the block from me. The cons: I wake up at 6:30 to get to work at 9, my life revolves around trains and their schedules and their (increasingly many) problems, and I don't live in the city ( :cry: ).

I personally will be moving to Hells Kitchen or the Upper West side, preferably close enough to the school that I could walk. I love Manhattan and am looking forward to enjoying life without having to factor in the commute home. Sure it's expensive, but the prices have been going down and I have fortunately saved up for it. I've heard good things about Astoria (a friend has a studio for $1,100) and it is closer than Brooklyn. Can't speak to Jersey City, though I imagine the view's nice if you're close to the Hudson.

And for the record: Fordham's 2008-2009 COA budget (housing portion only) allowed for $1,875 per month for 9 months rent, and that goes down to $1,400 per month for 12 months. It isn't cheap compared to other cities but it is doable.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”