Already have a job - motivation? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
pfunkera

Bronze

Already have a job - motivation?

Post by pfunkera » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:16 pm

I will be turning 40 soon and will be entering law school in a few weeks. I have many concerns, but the biggest concern is staying motivated. I have a good corporate job and once I finish law school/pass the bar that job won't change much. I will be a part-time student working full-time, but the local school does not have an evening program so I will be mixed in with the regular day students.

Any tips for staying motivated? I wish there was an evening program so I would at least be able to hang out with people in similar situations. I realize this is a small concern compared to most people working their butts off to get a good job, but I want to do well and make the next 4 years of hell worth it.

tomwatts

Gold

Re: Already have a job - motivation?

Post by tomwatts » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:32 pm

Why are you going to law school to stay in the same job? That seems like the problem here.

pfunkera

Bronze

Post by pfunkera » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:36 pm

tomwatts wrote:Why are you going to law school to stay in the same job? That seems like the problem here.
will be paid much more for the same job and will be one of the cool kids. Everyone else is a patent attorney, I got into this position because the company grew so fast they couldn't get enough people in to handle the work. 90% of the job is project management.

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:00 pm

pfunkera wrote:
tomwatts wrote:Why are you going to law school to stay in the same job? That seems like the problem here.
will be paid much more for the same job
Motivation found.

(Are they also paying for at least part of school?)
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:45 pm

If you can't find it in yourself to stay motivated in order to make more money and be cool, then you should probably withdraw.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:47 pm

If you don't have to do well, don't do well. I don't get it. Just put in enough work to pass.

pfunkera

Bronze

Post by pfunkera » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:25 pm

I know I can do enough to pass, but I want to get more out of it than that and have the personal satisfaction of doing well. It just seems so many posts discuss about trying to be in the top 10% or 5% to get a good job after school and that appears to be a big motivation to do well in some of the less exciting classes. Once the weight of law school combines with my other time contraints I am not sure just wanting to do well will be enough :)

pfunkera

Bronze

Post by pfunkera » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:27 pm

BVest wrote:
pfunkera wrote:
will be paid much more for the same job
Motivation found.

(Are they also paying for at least part of school?)
some motivation there - they pay more depending on the grade, but the tuition (after scholarship) is pretty cheap so we aren't talking a huge difference in money between a C average and A average.

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:26 pm

I would let go of any desire to do more than what is required to pass, but YMMV.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Lying Lawyer

New

Post by Lying Lawyer » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:07 pm

How about all the wasted hours studying and the tuition you've paid for no reason.

mephistopheles

Gold

Post by mephistopheles » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:00 pm

Lying Lawyer wrote:How about all the wasted hours studying and the tuition you've paid for no reason.

dude, low cost and big payoff, plus mad prestige = worth it

DELG

Gold

Post by DELG » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:41 pm

mephistopheles wrote:
Lying Lawyer wrote:How about all the wasted hours studying and the tuition you've paid for no reason.

dude, low cost and big payoff, plus mad prestige = worth it
Yes MAD PRESTIGE

Yea All Right

Silver

Post by Yea All Right » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:10 pm

How about acquiring a newfound love of learning the law as a source of motivation?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Leprechaun

Bronze

Post by Leprechaun » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:51 am

That's a tough question that largely depends on your intrinsic competitiveness and your personal situation. I'm in my 40's as well and attend on a part time basis while working a full time job and being a dad to a 16 year old and a 10 year old. I find motivation in competiting with other students 20 years my junior as well as those 10 years my senior. I've always enjoyed competition and I'm too old and fat to do too much in the athletic realm anymore, but I can still compete in the mental realm. I also draw motivation from literally learning something new EVERY night that I go to school. I've worked for the same "company" for 21 years now, and it's nice having a change of pace from my day job. Perhaps my biggest motivator though, is wanting to set an example of how to succeed academically for my two children and in showing them how hard and efficient work can help you succeed. There is nothing more satisfying than having my son and daughter saying they are proud of me and in celebrating with them when I make a good grade or when something good happens like landing a big law interview. That's a very individual, long, specific answer to your motivation question, but I guess a short answer is find something that is important to you and somehow tie your law school success to that and use that as motivation.

heythatslife

Silver

Post by heythatslife » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:09 am

pfunkera wrote:I know I can do enough to pass, but I want to get more out of it than that and have the personal satisfaction of doing well.
So isn't that enough? I don't see a lot of material reason for you to be a gunner in law school.

pfunkera

Bronze

Post by pfunkera » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:48 am

Leprechaun wrote:That's a tough question that largely depends on your intrinsic competitiveness and your personal situation. I'm in my 40's as well and attend on a part time basis while working a full time job and being a dad to a 16 year old and a 10 year old. I find motivation in competiting with other students 20 years my junior as well as those 10 years my senior. I've always enjoyed competition and I'm too old and fat to do too much in the athletic realm anymore, but I can still compete in the mental realm. I also draw motivation from literally learning something new EVERY night that I go to school. I've worked for the same "company" for 21 years now, and it's nice having a change of pace from my day job. Perhaps my biggest motivator though, is wanting to set an example of how to succeed academically for my two children and in showing them how hard and efficient work can help you succeed. There is nothing more satisfying than having my son and daughter saying they are proud of me and in celebrating with them when I make a good grade or when something good happens like landing a big law interview. That's a very individual, long, specific answer to your motivation question, but I guess a short answer is find something that is important to you and somehow tie your law school success to that and use that as motivation.
thanks for the response. I am feeling a little better about motivation as it gets closer.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”