OCI Challenges For International Students

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
britrf

New

OCI Challenges For International Students

Postby britrf » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:15 pm

Canadian here trying to figure out the mess that is regulation about working summers and participating in OCI as an international student.

I've heard conflicting reports about the OPT regulation for the first year of study and it's 20 hour a week cap. Is the cap on employment during the academic year, or the first summer as well?

Essentially, what I'd like to know is if there's any rule that would bar me from fully participating in OCI 1L year and working full-time during the 1L summer.

Best,
Confused 0L Canuck

danitt

Gold

Re: OCI Challenges For International Students

Postby danitt » Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:36 am

britrf wrote:Canadian here trying to figure out the mess that is regulation about working summers and participating in OCI as an international student.

I've heard conflicting reports about the OPT regulation for the first year of study and it's 20 hour a week cap. Is the cap on employment during the academic year, or the first summer as well?

Essentially, what I'd like to know is if there's any rule that would bar me from fully participating in OCI 1L year and working full-time during the 1L summer.

Best,
Confused 0L Canuck

OPT is for after graduation. During summers you use CPT. So one doesn't affect the other. There is a 20 hour per week cap on working during the academic year as per bar regulations. Nothing to do with your student status. Talk to your international student office to make sure though.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate?