Taking Q's about inability to afford this house on biglaw

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
First Offense

Platinum

Re: Taking Q's about inability to afford this house on biglaw

Postby First Offense » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:35 pm

That kitchen makes me weep. TCR is to move to the burbs and get a 3k square foot place for the same price. And enjoy that lovely DC traffic.

Tanicius

Gold

Postby Tanicius » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:37 pm

Desert Fox wrote:http://www.redfin.com/DC/Washington/1905-9-1-2-St-NW-20001/home/9877092

You ready to cry? This is what I'm getting on a PI salary. Moving away from the Bay was in hindsight a smart choice.

--LinkRemoved--

chuckbass

Platinum

Postby chuckbass » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:54 pm

First Offense wrote:That kitchen makes me weep. TCR is to move to the burbs and get a 3k square foot place for the same price. And enjoy that lovely DC traffic.

You'd have to go to some pretty shitty "burbs" to get a 3k square foot place for 400k something tbh.

First Offense

Platinum

Postby First Offense » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:48 am

Yeah I was curious after and started looking at housing prices around there. I'm going to be a renter for the rest of my life.

scoobysnax

Bronze

Postby scoobysnax » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:24 am

flawschoolkid wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
anyriotgirl wrote:you planning on having any babies DF? school district a consideration in this purchase?

I'm not sending my kids to DC public schools.

Some MoCo and Fairfax public schools are solid, but still much worse than private.

Some MoCo and Fairfax schools are better than/on par with private

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bjsesq

Diamond

Postby bjsesq » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:34 am

530 fucking grand for that?

Same exact price for this house:

http://www.homes.com/property/118-w-spy-glass-dr-sioux-falls-sd-57108/id-100009961561/

ymmv

Diamond

Postby ymmv » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:37 am

Damn. You can get a pretty dope luxury condo in Center City Philly for that price.

Danger Zone

Platinum

Postby Danger Zone » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:38 am

ymmv wrote:Damn. You can get a pretty dope luxury condo in Center City Philly for that price.

A better home in a better city? DF you should jump on this

Tanicius

Gold

Postby Tanicius » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:41 am

bjsesq wrote:530 fucking grand for that?

http://www.homes.com/property/118-w-spy-glass-dr-sioux-falls-sd-57108/id-100009961561/

That seems insanely overpriced for a fairly average house out in the boonies. The housing market must really have come back already, cause I'd have figured that for 200, maybe 300k at the most.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kcam1991

Bronze

Postby kcam1991 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:48 am

Would you advise anyone of buying a home or condo straight out of law school?

bjsesq

Diamond

Postby bjsesq » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:49 am

Tanicius wrote:

That seems insanely overpriced for a fairly average house out in the boonies. The housing market must really have come back already, cause I'd have figured that for 200, maybe 300k at the most.

Yes and no. Sioux Falls is certainly boonies compared to DC, but with the burbs surrounding it, it's roughly 200-250k range. Wages are pretty high because of how insanely low corporate taxes and stuff are here.

ymmv

Diamond

Postby ymmv » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:51 am

kcam1991 wrote:Would you advise anyone of buying a home or condo straight out of law school?

That will absolutely depend on your individual personal and financial situation. Job, debt-level, amount in savings, family, etc.

For the vast majority of TLSers I imagine the answer is "no."

Tanicius

Gold

Postby Tanicius » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:06 am

bjsesq wrote:
Tanicius wrote:

Yes and no. Sioux Falls is certainly boonies compared to DC, but with the burbs surrounding it, it's roughly 200-250k range. Wages are pretty high because of how insanely low corporate taxes and stuff are here.

No I know location is key. An old, only moderately-in-shape townhouse in St. Paul will run over a million, easy. But those houses you see in the suburbs aren't as expensive as their size leads on. I could probably find a dozen suburb houses in my hometown 45 minutes out from the Twin Cities that are about that same size and cost almost half as much. I'd also figure that the Twin Cities-area prices are going to be more expensive than any city or suburban area in South Dakota, and likewise the Chicago area is going to beat the Twin Cities by a metric.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

chuckbass

Platinum

Postby chuckbass » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:11 am

scoobysnax wrote:
flawschoolkid wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
anyriotgirl wrote:you planning on having any babies DF? school district a consideration in this purchase?

I'm not sending my kids to DC public schools.

Some MoCo and Fairfax public schools are solid, but still much worse than private.

Some MoCo and Fairfax schools are better than/on par with private

I was gonna say this but didn't want to get into a debate about schools. TCR is to move to Bethesda and have kids attend BCC if you want to be as close to DC but not pay for school.

bjsesq

Diamond

Postby bjsesq » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:09 am

Tanicius wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
Tanicius wrote:

No I know location is key. An old, only moderately-in-shape townhouse in St. Paul will run over a million, easy. But those houses you see in the suburbs aren't as expensive as their size leads on. I could probably find a dozen suburb houses in my hometown 45 minutes out from the Twin Cities that are about that same size and cost almost half as much. I'd also figure that the Twin Cities-area prices are going to be more expensive than any city or suburban area in South Dakota, and likewise the Chicago area is going to beat the Twin Cities by a metric.

iirc, the burbs to the south and southwest are the obscenely expensive ones, right? Eden Prarie, Edina, Prior Lake, Shakopee, Eagan, Apple Valley, etc?

Tanicius

Gold

Postby Tanicius » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:13 am

bjsesq wrote:iirc, the burbs to the south and southwest are the obscenely expensive ones, right? Eden Prarie, Edina, Prior Lake, Shakopee, Eagan, Apple Valley, etc?

Yeah, there's lots of expensive housing. I mean more in your average suburb 30+ minutes out from the Cities, like the I-94 corridor, Michelle Bachmann's white picket fence American paradise. You can get a house like you found in that ad for 200k.

abl

Silver

Postby abl » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:23 pm

Wait, I'm confused. Assuming it's in a good area of DC (I don't really know the city), it looks pretty awesome -- and affordable on a biglaw salary. Right?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Postby TheSpanishMain » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:20 pm

abl wrote:Wait, I'm confused. Assuming it's in a good area of DC (I don't really know the city), it looks pretty awesome -- and affordable on a biglaw salary. Right?

Half a million dollars for a two bed, one bath is "awesome"?

jbagelboy

Diamond

Postby jbagelboy » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:25 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:
abl wrote:Wait, I'm confused. Assuming it's in a good area of DC (I don't really know the city), it looks pretty awesome -- and affordable on a biglaw salary. Right?

yea, I think DF's pt is that for all the glamour & glitz of the biglaw paycheck hype you can't even buy a tiny house within a reasonable vicinity of work cause CoL is so high in the market paying locales (NY/SF/DC)

then again DF has a lot of loans, most professionals on six fig salary can afford down-payment & 30-yr mortgage on a half mil home

FSK

Platinum

Postby FSK » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:33 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:

yea, I think DF's pt is that for all the glamour & glitz of the biglaw paycheck hype you can't even buy a tiny house within a reasonable vicinity of work cause CoL is so high in the market paying locales (NY/SF/DC)

then again DF has a lot of loans, most professionals on six fig salary can afford down-payment & 30-yr mortgage on a half mil home

Also, Shaw isn't great.
Last edited by FSK on Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chuckbass

Platinum

Postby chuckbass » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:44 pm

I'm always surprised how people really underestimate COL in DC.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

abl

Silver

Postby abl » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:27 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:

Sure. That'd be a steal in Palo Alto (or a complete ripoff in Chicago). It's all relative. But if I was tied to living in a high COL city, I think I could be pretty thrilled with a place like that.

ymmv

Diamond

Postby ymmv » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:33 pm

abl wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:

Sure. That'd be a steal in Palo Alto (or a complete ripoff in Chicago). It's all relative. But if I was tied to living in a high COL city, I think I could be pretty thrilled with a place like that.

Yeah this really seems more like a "fuck DC COL" thread than a "fuck biglaw" thread.

Diamond

Postby 09042014 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:35 pm

It's ugly as fuck.

NYSprague

Silver

Postby NYSprague » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:44 pm

Desert Fox wrote:It's ugly as fuck.

Thank God. I thought you liked it.

What down payment are they looking for, from a big law associate? You can probably get preferred lending from a firm client.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to ā€œAsk a Law Student / Graduateā€?