How important is a professional appearance in law school? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Nekrowizard

Bronze

How important is a professional appearance in law school?

Post by Nekrowizard » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:13 am

Last edited by Nekrowizard on Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CoffeeIsLife

Bronze

Re: How important is a professional appearance in law school?

Post by CoffeeIsLife » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:16 am

I'm also interested in this, I don't have the same clothes/hair, but my hair is "longer" and I have a beard. Just trying to figure out how much to clean up by the time I start school

Frothingslosh

Bronze

Post by Frothingslosh » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:21 am

In school? It won't matter at all. For interviews, networking events, anything semi-formal? Definitely chop that and leave the goat shirts in the closet. In case this isn't a flame, the legal profession is SUPER conservative. Don't draw unnecessary attention to yourself by way of being remembered as "the kid from Slayer with the skull shirts".

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:21 am

Nekrowizard wrote:Will the hair hurt me in interviews?
Interviews with firms? Honestly, probably.

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:22 am

ehhh...i dunno..i guess it depends which school you go to. I don't think it'll matter too much as a student, unless you want to establish relationships with more conservative faculty. But I would definitely clean up for interviews.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jchiles

Silver

Post by jchiles » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:23 am

I would definitely lose the long/longer hair for interviews, and as far as beards go I sort of base whats acceptable by looking at what other youngish associates at firms are doing in the area, but personally I'd go clean shaven.

As far as day-to-day at law school, that's up to you but if you're going to go with the metal look just be prepared to be known as that guy with the long hair and goat shirts, which I'd assume you're ok with.

ymmv

Diamond

Post by ymmv » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:25 am

Nekrowizard wrote:Will the hair hurt me in interviews?
Interviewing for Sierra Club counsel? Probably not. For 99.9% of law firms? Almost certainly.

El Pollito

Diamond

Post by El Pollito » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:26 am

Yes, having ridiculous hair will hurt you in interviews. People in school might also think you're a weirdo.

FSK

Platinum

Post by FSK » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:26 am

You'll look so much better with a haircut. Just do it.
Last edited by FSK on Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Abbie Doobie

Silver

Post by Abbie Doobie » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:36 am

never knew that goats were heavy metal. learned something new today

Nekrowizard

Bronze

Post by Nekrowizard » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:46 am

Last edited by Nekrowizard on Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:52 am

You don't need to clean up before you start, just before OCI which isn't till August before your 2L year. At school, the guy with the hair and the goat shirts will get less attention than the one who wears a button-down with tie and slacks to class every day.

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:01 am

rayiner wrote:You don't need to clean up before you start, just before OCI which isn't till August before your 2L year. At school, the guy with the hair and the goat shirts will get less attention than the one who wears a button-down with tie and slacks to class every day.
This is true.

I don't think it really matters until it comes time for your first interview, which will be sometime spring of 1L year.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ymmv

Diamond

Post by ymmv » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:28 am

rayiner wrote:You don't need to clean up before you start, just before OCI which isn't till August before your 2L year. At school, the guy with the hair and the goat shirts will get less attention than the one who wears a button-down with tie and slacks to class every day.
Yeah, these do tend to be most the noticeably insufferable students as a general rule.

FSK

Platinum

Post by FSK » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:35 am

ymmv wrote:
Yeah, these do tend to be most the noticeably insufferable students as a general rule.
The worst, in my experience. Mostly insufferable gunners.
Last edited by FSK on Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:55 am

How are we this many posts in without an argument already going about beards? I thought that the TLS minimum was 5 posts for such things.

zugzwanger

Bronze

Post by zugzwanger » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:59 am

It would have been awesome to go to LS during the early - mid 90s grunge/post-grunge era everybody was wearing plaid and torn up jeans all the girls kind of looked like janeane garofalo etc.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Power_of_Facing

Bronze

Post by Power_of_Facing » Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:06 pm

TCR, from my vantage at a biglaw firm, is to go into interviews looking all prim and proper and clean and cut, but then once people actually get to know/like you -- i.e. after you're "in", you can push the envelope a bit more in terms of appearance. Adults don't like to tell other adults to get a haircut, and so long as you look reasonably professional it shouldn't be a huge deal.

I also agree that gaudily overdressing for law school is gunneruesome and lame.
Last edited by Power_of_Facing on Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:10 pm

Saw a 1L this past year wearing a complete, full suit (with a vest, even) every. single. day.

And I was actually quite jealous. He wore that suit damn well.

Power_of_Facing

Bronze

Post by Power_of_Facing » Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:11 pm

Tanicius wrote:
Saw a 1L this past year wearing a complete, full suit (with a vest, even) every. single. day.

Really? That seems so ridiculous in a place like Berkeley.

lhanvt13

Gold

Post by lhanvt13 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:12 pm

Tanicius wrote:

Yeah if u maintain and rock it, then it's fly as hell. Otherwise, you just look like a tool.

Also depends on school..

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:18 pm

Power_of_Facing wrote:
Tanicius wrote:

Really? That seems so ridiculous in a place like Berkeley.
Depends on your background. The people with pre-enrollment connections to investment banking and Silicon Valley tend to wear expensive stuff a lot. They tend to either take it the Playboy route or they may dress like Harvey Specter. I think my emotional hostility to the way they dress is mostly petty and born of jealousy for their means, but I guess if nearly everyone is thinking the same way I am, then the motives for our distaste don't matter much and you should consider dressing in a way not calculated to alienate everyone around you.

lhanvt13

Gold

Post by lhanvt13 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:27 pm

Idk about your specific wardrobe, but I avoid all things with buttons. So t-shirt and sweat pants all day

Pokemon

Gold

Post by Pokemon » Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:51 pm

Cut your hair before interviews bro. This should not even be a question.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:28 pm

Agree re: hair. Lose it for law school.

As far as suits are concerned, they are totally unnecessary day to day. However if you have to wear one for a networking event/insist on wearing one in claas and around campus, make sure it fits. Seriously - nothing looks sillier than a kid wearing an ill-fitting jacket with a sloppy tie when its not even necessary. This sounds a bit classist, but if you want to work in the private sector or federal gov't, it's an unfortunate truth: don't just grab a cheap suit and dress shirts off the rack at Marshalls. Get it fit. It's never a downside to have a conversation start with "you clean up nice" or "that's a great tie."

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”