How do you get work assignments during a summer internship? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
gottago

Bronze

How do you get work assignments during a summer internship?

Post by gottago » Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:59 pm

Former paralegals and SAs but not during the 2L summer, get ITT.

I started working at an AmLaw 100 recently. This is my summer before my 1L year. The partner was caught off guard that he'd be responsible for giving me assignments the first week.

He showed me around a floor or 2 this morning. He said that the 2LSAs have a portal to choose assignments from, but I don't have anything like that. I've just been sitting around surfing the web and reading a legal writing book.

Should I drop by partners' offices and ask them for stuff? I doubt they'd trust me with important stuff, as I haven't "learned any of the skills I'm supposed to learn during my 1L year yet."

The partners/associates seemed impressed when the partner who introduced me told them where I'm going in the fall, as it's a school that doesn't usually send associates to this place. However, having a high GPA and LSAT and knowing how to do legal research and draft things are completely different things.

shock259

Gold

Re: How do you get work assignments during a summer internship?

Post by shock259 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:57 pm

Have you asked the partner that showed you around how you will get assignments? Does he know that you have no work?

Arij.Syed

New

Re: How do you get work assignments during a summer internship?

Post by Arij.Syed » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:27 am

Just ask if you can help him with anything.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”