Transfer from Tier 2, top 2-3% Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
sam_s2020

New

Transfer from Tier 2, top 2-3%

Post by sam_s2020 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:27 pm

I am currently at a Tier 2 school with a full ride. Although the class rankings have not officially come in yet, I suspect I am in the top 2-3%. My GPA is a 3.9 and I am on Law Review. My LSAT was 166 and my undergrad GPA was a 3.6. If I transfer, I have to pay my scholarship money back, i.e. a full year's tuition. I think I am only willing to leave my current school (with all that money) for HYS and maybe CCN. I am wondering what people think my chances are for getting into these schools and what schools it would be worth transferring for. Thanks!

jbagelboy

Diamond

Re: Transfer from Tier 2, top 2-3%

Post by jbagelboy » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:27 pm

Wait - you have to pay back your scholarship? That can't possibly be legal.

sam_s2020

New

Post by sam_s2020 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:07 am

Yeah. That's what the contract I signed says.

transferror

Silver

Post by transferror » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:20 am

sam_s2020 wrote:Yeah. That's what the contract I signed says.
TTTT

Frothingslosh

Bronze

Post by Frothingslosh » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:56 am

transferror wrote:
TTTT
It would be a public service to tell us what school came up with this brilliant scholarship stipulation.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rahulg91

Bronze

Post by rahulg91 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:03 am

Is this a common practice for scholarships?

Ohiobumpkin

Silver

Post by Ohiobumpkin » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:38 am

Yeah, you should tell us which school this is. That is pretty douchey.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:47 am

rahulg91 wrote:
Is this a common practice for scholarships?
Among predatory dumps, yes.

Congrats on the awesome grades regardless, OP. Please out your douchebag school.

Mount Elbrus

New

Post by Mount Elbrus » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:55 am

That is a sly dirtbag move by the school. I tend to think that there is no way the school could actually force you to repay the money, but in the end that doesn't matter. What they can do is refuse to release your transcripts or anything else you need to actually transfer until you came up with the money.

I am guessing not many people have $30+k just sitting around and I don't think you could get a retroactive student loan - but maybe I am wrong. Very interested to see how this turns out.

InTheHouse

Bronze

Post by InTheHouse » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:01 am

OP: It is going to be hard for people to give you advice on transferring without knowing what your goals are and what your current school offers in terms of employment outcomes.
Mount Elbrus wrote:That is a sly dirtbag move by the school. I tend to think that there is no way the school could actually force you to repay the money, but in the end that doesn't matter. What they can do is refuse to release your transcripts or anything else you need to actually transfer until you came up with the money.

I am guessing not many people have $30+k just sitting around and I don't think you could get a retroactive student loan - but maybe I am wrong. Very interested to see how this turns out.
Also, I would investigate the legality of this scholarship contract and figure out what your options are if you do, in fact, have to pay them back. If your school employs all these underhanded shenanigans, do you really trust them to give a shit about your career goals or help you reach them?

EDIT: I'd worry about how motivated a CSO is going to be when it comes to bringing in new/top flight employers when it knows it won't lose its scholarship students to the transfer process.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”