Would it be wise to get involved in politics? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
#NotACop

Bronze

Would it be wise to get involved in politics?

Post by #NotACop » Wed May 21, 2014 12:54 pm

Might be a stupid question, but I'm bored at work. A few of the bigger law firms that I'm looking into around my area have huge roles in local politics. Would it be a smart thing to do if I were to volunteer every so often to get my name out there/build up my network a little bit?

McAvoy

Gold

Re: Would it be wise to get involved in politics?

Post by McAvoy » Wed May 21, 2014 12:56 pm

#NotACop wrote:Might be a stupid question, but I'm bored at work. A few of the bigger law firms that I'm looking into around my area have huge roles in local politics. Would it be a smart thing to do if I were to volunteer every so often to get my name out there/build up my network a little bit?
Unless you're in a region completely dominated by one party and you are a supporter of that party, absolutely do not do this.

#NotACop

Bronze

Post by #NotACop » Wed May 21, 2014 12:59 pm

Region is primarily dominated by one side (even though everyone knows the gov. is a shitbag) but I'm more independant.

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Wed May 21, 2014 2:11 pm

#NotACop wrote:Might be a stupid question, but I'm bored at work. A few of the bigger law firms that I'm looking into around my area have huge roles in local politics. Would it be a smart thing to do if I were to volunteer every so often to get my name out there/build up my network a little bit?
Maybe it's because I'm in public interest, but, no attorney I know has ever seen political involvement as a bad thing. Shows drive, passion, ect.

philosoraptor

Silver

Post by philosoraptor » Wed May 21, 2014 2:16 pm

Will_McAvoy wrote:
Unless you're in a region completely dominated by one party and you are a supporter of that party, absolutely do not do this.
Aren't you an 0L?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

McAvoy

Gold

Post by McAvoy » Wed May 21, 2014 2:28 pm

philosoraptor wrote:
Will_McAvoy wrote:
Aren't you an 0L?
Yes, but I have some direct experience in this situation. Getting involved in local politics will likely serve as a black mark on your resume if you eventually want to be employed by one of these firms and do government relations work. Local politics tend to be very sensitive and firms (and their employees) that work in local government rel. can't appear adversarial and can't seem to lean one way.

If it's volunteering that could not in any way be construed as partisan, then I'd say go for it; otherwise I would see the benefits as being very marginal compared to the risk in rubbing someone important the wrong way.

Teoeo

Silver

Post by Teoeo » Wed May 21, 2014 2:32 pm

Will_McAvoy wrote:
philosoraptor wrote:
Will_McAvoy wrote:
Aren't you an 0L?
Yes, but I have some direct experience in this situation. Getting involved in local politics will likely serve as a black mark on your resume if you eventually want to be employed by one of these firms and do government relations work. Local politics tend to be very sensitive and firms (and their employees) that work in local government rel. can't appear adversarial and can't seem to lean one way.

If it's volunteering that could not in any way be construed as partisan, then I'd say go for it; otherwise I would see the benefits as being very marginal compared to the risk in rubbing someone important the wrong way.

You are assuming a lot (that he does government relations work). Many lawyers are active in politics - particularly if they want to be appointed to a position (head of an agency, the bench, etc.).

SFSpartan

Silver

Post by SFSpartan » Wed May 21, 2014 2:35 pm

My own experience suggests that this is a bad idea. I have a substantial amount of experience working as a staffer for various politicians, all in the Democratic Party. I live in the Bay Area, where Dems basically run everything. However, as I interviewed for 1L summer jobs (primarily in-house and various corporate law practices), I felt that the work experience hurt me as it came up a lot in interviews, and the interviewers generally seemed skeptical.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't do it, but think about what kind of work you want to do first. If you want to do PI or government work, then go for it. If not, stay out of politics until you are actually practicing.

McAvoy

Gold

Post by McAvoy » Wed May 21, 2014 2:39 pm

Teoeo wrote:Many lawyers are active in politics - particularly if they want to be appointed to a position (head of an agency, the bench, etc.).
Totally. That's not inconsistent with what I said.

Local/state government relations practices and attorneys that work in government relations practices are crazy about appearing neutral and not offending anyone; rando partners at their firm in other practice groups can be pretty brazen about their politics. My experience is limited to just a few practices in the same region, so maybe I've overstated some of this, but in the situations I've been around, I wouldn't advise someone to do this.
Last edited by McAvoy on Wed May 21, 2014 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

philosoraptor

Silver

Post by philosoraptor » Wed May 21, 2014 2:40 pm

If I were an associate looking to get into politics, I'd do it very slowly and carefully, either by (a) getting to know the partners who are politically connected, or (b) serving on local boards and getting to know the players in my city, or both. Plenty of biglaw partners (almost exclusively lit, as far as I've seen) are politically active, but you'd have to get started through the proper channels as an associate.

#NotACop

Bronze

Post by #NotACop » Wed May 21, 2014 2:43 pm

So general consensus is wait until I'm already established with an associate position somewhere. Good thing I asked because I was about to dive right in, also good because I have no idea which political idealogies I align better with.

redsox

Silver

Post by redsox » Wed May 21, 2014 2:49 pm

#NotACop wrote:So general consensus is wait until I'm already established with an associate position somewhere. Good thing I asked because I was about to dive right in, also good because I have no idea which political idealogies I align better with.
Do you...vote?

zugzwanger

Bronze

Post by zugzwanger » Wed May 21, 2014 4:16 pm

I read a while back that Marco Rubio ran for office and it gave him quite the boost salary-wise at his law firm since it brought attention to the firm etc.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

HRomanus

Silver

Post by HRomanus » Wed May 21, 2014 4:40 pm

Disclosure: 00L

There are a ton of lawyers on the board and involved with fundraising for the non-profit I work for. Would this kind of community involvement subsitute at all for political activity in bringing in clients?

politics89

Bronze

Post by politics89 » Wed May 21, 2014 4:52 pm

redsox wrote:
#NotACop wrote:So general consensus is wait until I'm already established with an associate position somewhere. Good thing I asked because I was about to dive right in, also good because I have no idea which political idealogies I align better with.
Do you...vote?
Also, a 0L here.

Normally I would be all for encouraging someone to get involved in politics, but if you don't even know what your political leanings are, don't do this.

#NotACop

Bronze

Post by #NotACop » Fri May 23, 2014 2:31 pm

redsox wrote:
Do you...vote?
Probably should have phrased this better. I know where I stand on individual issues; however, in terms of being completely on one side of the other, I'm all over the place. For example, damn illegal immigrants, go big corporations, yay guns, hooray abortion, mmmmm pot legalization, and yippee go green.

McAvoy

Gold

Post by McAvoy » Fri May 23, 2014 2:40 pm

You're a cafeteria Libertarian in the Ron/Rand Paul vein. Probably best you don't vote :wink:

Pragmatic Gun

Silver

Post by Pragmatic Gun » Fri May 23, 2014 3:11 pm

How about running for office and winning a seat?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”