When to send 1L transcripts? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
ERod3191

New

When to send 1L transcripts?

Post by ERod3191 » Wed May 21, 2014 11:46 am

I have been casually networking as a 0L in my secondary market among alumni from my regional. I've talked on the phone or had lunch/coffee with recent grads from my school who all work in our secondary market version of "Big Law" AKA starting salary range of 105-120k. Yesterday I really hit it off with one lady who invited me to send in my resume so she could "set me up" with a 1L SA and an ADA here also said to contact him once I got my grades. I know it's far from guaranteed and they can only do so much since they're not on any hiring committees. I fully expect to strike out on most, if not all, 1L SA applications.

All that being said, when is the best time to send my 1L grades and resume? Immediately after fall grades are posted? My UG GPA is a train wreck so I want to make sure I have (hopefully) high grades to show. But if they want my UG grades on my resume or the official transcripts, I feel like it could torpedo my chances. Do they even ask for UG grades for 1L SA?

jbagelboy

Diamond

Re: When to send 1L transcripts?

Post by jbagelboy » Fri May 23, 2014 9:55 pm

ERod3191 wrote:I have been casually networking as a 0L in my secondary market among alumni from my regional. I've talked on the phone or had lunch/coffee with recent grads from my school who all work in our secondary market version of "Big Law" AKA starting salary range of 105-120k. Yesterday I really hit it off with one lady who invited me to send in my resume so she could "set me up" with a 1L SA and an ADA here also said to contact him once I got my grades. I know it's far from guaranteed and they can only do so much since they're not on any hiring committees. I fully expect to strike out on most, if not all, 1L SA applications.

All that being said, when is the best time to send my 1L grades and resume? Immediately after fall grades are posted? My UG GPA is a train wreck so I want to make sure I have (hopefully) high grades to show. But if they want my UG grades on my resume or the official transcripts, I feel like it could torpedo my chances. Do they even ask for UG grades for 1L SA?
Whoa

The best thing you can do before starting law school is chill. You only have a few more months until your life gets pretty shitty for a while. You don't have 1L grades yet.. You don't even have classes or sections yet. Premature would be an understatement here. You'll reach out to firms in the area during winter break and then they will either request your fall grades and resume or direct you to an online application. You'll be told by most firms they don't take 1L's. You can't even discuss work with employers till Dec 1 anyway.

IP/patent prosecution practice groups and firms may request your UG transcript. Cravath asks for UG transcripts. Very few others will care.

ERod3191

New

Re: When to send 1L transcripts?

Post by ERod3191 » Mon May 26, 2014 6:58 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
ERod3191 wrote:I have been casually networking as a 0L in my secondary market among alumni from my regional. I've talked on the phone or had lunch/coffee with recent grads from my school who all work in our secondary market version of "Big Law" AKA starting salary range of 105-120k. Yesterday I really hit it off with one lady who invited me to send in my resume so she could "set me up" with a 1L SA and an ADA here also said to contact him once I got my grades. I know it's far from guaranteed and they can only do so much since they're not on any hiring committees. I fully expect to strike out on most, if not all, 1L SA applications.

Whoa

The best thing you can do before starting law school is chill. You only have a few more months until your life gets pretty shitty for a while. You don't have 1L grades yet.. You don't even have classes or sections yet. Premature would be an understatement here. You'll reach out to firms in the area during winter break and then they will either request your fall grades and resume or direct you to an online application. You'll be told by most firms they don't take 1L's. You can't even discuss work with employers till Dec 1 anyway.

IP/patent prosecution practice groups and firms may request your UG transcript. Cravath asks for UG transcripts. Very few others will care.
Lol I am chilling. I'm spending my entire summer at the beach 8)

Thanks for the info. I was just vaguely worried about my UG grades but I'm glad no one really cares

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”