Dual Degree Programs Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
kelssimone

New

Dual Degree Programs

Post by kelssimone » Sun May 18, 2014 7:18 pm

Hi! I am currently a 0L planning on applying to law school in the fall. I want to focus in corporate law, specifically contracts and intellectual property and even more specifically I want to do this within the sports industry. Would it be wise to pursue a JD and a masters in sports administration or receive the JD and focus on the masters later? Thanks!

Hipster but Athletic

Gold

Re: Dual Degree Programs

Post by Hipster but Athletic » Sun May 18, 2014 7:20 pm

sports bros are fond of jd/mba.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Sun May 18, 2014 7:29 pm

My advice is to not go to law school

You will not get a job is sports law

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Sun May 18, 2014 11:54 pm

kelssimone wrote:Hi! I am currently a 0L planning on applying to law school in the fall. I want to focus in corporate law, specifically contracts and intellectual property and even more specifically I want to do this within the sports industry. Would it be wise to pursue a JD and a masters in sports administration or receive the JD and focus on the masters later? Thanks!
Sports law is a pretty narrow niche field, but I'd be the last person to tell you not to go to law school to go into a niche field. The firm I'm summering with now does sports law, but, as far as I can tell, none of the partners who do this have Masters degrees in anything relevant. So you may not need the second degree at all.

If you do decide to pursue the second degree, definitely do it simultaneously with the JD, not after the JD; it's much harder to go into law a while after getting the JD than right after getting the JD. Also, I think that you may want to consider between the MS in Sports Management and the more general MBA. I think there are sports-oriented tracks in some MBA programs, but I'm not sure the exact tradeoffs to consider.

Oh, and this probably goes without saying, but going into a niche field is tricky. Be very, very cautious about which law school you attend; you will be able to get into sports law from some schools (with adequate grades, of course), but definitely not from all, even of the top-tier schools.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”