law school for government relations/ legislative counsel Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
gopats

New

law school for government relations/ legislative counsel

Post by gopats » Sat May 10, 2014 5:45 pm

I know manny if not most lobbyist and legislative analyst/advocates have JDs and I know there are many government relations firms and congressional offices have legislative counsel, but what Is the best way to go about starting a career in such fields. If I want to go the Legislative counsel route should I put some years in working as congressional staff before attending law school or should I go right to law school after graduating under grad? If I go the lobbyist route will a JD help get my foot in the door for entry level Lobbying positions ?

Elston Gunn

Gold

Re: law school for government relations/ legislative counsel

Post by Elston Gunn » Sat May 10, 2014 5:54 pm

gopats wrote: If I want to go the Legislative counsel route should I put some years in working as congressional staff before attending law school
Absolutely, yes, 100%. I'm not really convinced that the prevalence of J.D.s in political positions is actually causal, but it's definitely true that it's going to be connections that are more important; that it would absolutely suck to go to law school shooting for a (probably) non-LRAP-qualifying job that pays like $35k in a major metro; and that you'd be better off going to LS later, if you must. If you find you really, really need that J.D. to advance, probably your best bet would be Georgetown part time (hopefully with a big scholarship) and continue working in politics.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sat May 10, 2014 6:03 pm

Absolutely get Hill work first. After 3-5 years you will be telling us whether or not a JD would further your career.

I lobbied briefly before LS and IMO the most important thing is to be in DC and not let connections get cold (so if you do decide to get a JD, do GULC PT).

ALTHANI

New

Post by ALTHANI » Mon May 12, 2014 3:39 pm

Connections are most important.. at least I think lol.

You can always go back and do law school even if its part time, but you may not get connected jobs or career pathways opportunities. :)

thebobs1987

Bronze

Post by thebobs1987 » Tue May 13, 2014 7:18 pm

I lobbied and worked in gov't before going to LS as well. I don't even have any desire to go back to lobbying, but the connections I made in DC have made the stress of finding work and law school a lot less. Definitely get hill experience and life experience before going to law school. Always a good plan

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”