The BigLaw hate buffet Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Single-Malt-Liquor

Silver

Re: The BigLaw hate buffet

Post by Single-Malt-Liquor » Sun May 11, 2014 6:29 pm

Humor me. Lots of firms say that they care about their associates being able to do pro bono work. Is that a straight up lie, or just a truth with an asterisk?

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sun May 11, 2014 7:40 pm

Single-Malt-Liquor wrote:Humor me. Lots of firms say that they care about their associates being able to do pro bono work. Is that a straight up lie, or just a truth with an asterisk?
Truth with an asterisk. They'll encourage it, but they won't encourage it at the expense of f'realsy work.

From what I've seen, pro bono is substantially more common for litigators than corporate attorneys.

If you ever want a chuckle, look up how much pro bono Wachtell does.

BaiAilian2013

Silver

Post by BaiAilian2013 » Sun May 11, 2014 8:08 pm

Single-Malt-Liquor wrote:Humor me. Lots of firms say that they care about their associates being able to do pro bono work. Is that a straight up lie, or just a truth with an asterisk?
Depends on firm and practice. My firm has no limit on how many pro bono hours you can count towards your billables, so people can take the matters seriously. I forget which of my matters are pro bono sometimes. Partners are less involved usually, although not always, but that is largely because you have more independence on pro bono matters so you don't really need the partners. And matters come to you; I've never gone looking for pro bono matters, but that could be my practice.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sun May 11, 2014 8:08 pm

Ugh is it time to law AGAIN?! Already?! Stupid 2 day weekend.

Theopliske8711

Gold

Post by Theopliske8711 » Sun May 11, 2014 9:07 pm

IAFG wrote:Ugh is it time to law AGAIN?! Already?! Stupid 2 day weekend.

So you had a free weekend is what you're sayin?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sun May 11, 2014 9:13 pm

Theopliske8711 wrote:
IAFG wrote:Ugh is it time to law AGAIN?! Already?! Stupid 2 day weekend.

So you had a free weekend is what you're sayin?
I was supposed to go in Sunday but I got taken off the matter at the last minute. So it only very minorly fucked up my Mother's Day.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun May 11, 2014 9:33 pm

thesealocust wrote:
Truth with an asterisk. They'll encourage it, but they won't encourage it at the expense of f'realsy work.

From what I've seen, pro bono is substantially more common for litigators than corporate attorneys.

If you ever want a chuckle, look up how much pro bono Wachtell does.
My firm makes everyone do the minimum to check it off that we do it. But the lit head said to forget about it after that.

And we are supposed to have it count all the way.

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Sun May 11, 2014 10:25 pm

I supervise some pro bono work done by associates and they all do a shit job of it, which makes me suspect they don't get a lot of time for it.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Sun May 11, 2014 10:41 pm

worldtraveler wrote:I supervise some pro bono work done by associates and they all do a shit job of it, which makes me suspect they don't get a lot of time for it.
what type exactly? From what I can tell some of my pro bono projects may resemble what you do. feel free to pm

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Sun May 11, 2014 10:51 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
worldtraveler wrote:I supervise some pro bono work done by associates and they all do a shit job of it, which makes me suspect they don't get a lot of time for it.
what type exactly? From what I can tell some of my pro bono projects may resemble what you do. feel free to pm
memos about the feasibility to bring claims to UN committees.

Onetime the firm did it for the wrong country. :|

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun May 11, 2014 11:00 pm

worldtraveler wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:

Nobody wants to do a pro bono memo. They want actual work.

It probably got passed down and down to junior associates with little instruction.

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Sun May 11, 2014 11:05 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
worldtraveler wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:

Nobody wants to do a pro bono memo. They want actual work.

It probably got passed down and down to junior associates with little instruction.
That is exactly what happens.

Usually people want to work with actual clients and do some kind of feel good project, which I feel like is often a bad idea because the last thing you should to to trafficking survivor is assign a socially stunted patent attorney to her case.

mirroroferised7

Silver

Post by mirroroferised7 » Mon May 12, 2014 11:34 am

So, what's the deal with firms fucking over associates on health insurance/dental/vision?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon May 12, 2014 11:39 am

mirroroferised7 wrote:So, what's the deal with firms fucking over associates on health insurance/dental/vision?
It's a profession of mostly single people who stay for 3-4 years. Nobody cares enough about benefits to change firms, so firms don't care.

Gold

Post by 84651846190 » Mon May 12, 2014 12:03 pm

worldtraveler wrote:That is exactly what happens.

Usually people want to work with actual clients and do some kind of feel good project, which I feel like is often a bad idea because the last thing you should to to trafficking survivor is assign a socially stunted patent attorney to her case.
lol patent attorneys

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon May 12, 2014 12:04 pm

Biglaw_Associate_V20 wrote:

lol patent attorneys
We may fear women, but at least we are nice.

Best case they get married. Win win.

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Mon May 12, 2014 1:43 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

lol patent attorneys

Are you proposing a side business of matching asylum seekers with awkward but nice rich men?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon May 12, 2014 1:44 pm

worldtraveler wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

lol patent attorneys

Are you proposing a side business of matching asylum seekers with awkward but nice rich men?
Not a bad plan.

FKASunny

Gold

Post by FKASunny » Mon May 12, 2014 1:51 pm

OneMoreLawHopeful

Silver

Post by OneMoreLawHopeful » Mon May 12, 2014 5:55 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
mirroroferised7 wrote:So, what's the deal with firms fucking over associates on health insurance/dental/vision?
It's a profession of mostly single people who stay for 3-4 years. Nobody cares enough about benefits to change firms, so firms don't care.
Huh?

The insurance package is pretty good at most biglaw places, especially compared to the average on offer in "corporate america." Are you comparing this to government benefits or something?

Don't get me wrong - lots of problems with biglaw I'm sure, even with benefits (WTF is with no 401k match!?!), but it doesn't seem like insurance is one of the problems.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon May 12, 2014 5:59 pm

OneMoreLawHopeful wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Huh?

The insurance package is pretty good at most biglaw places, especially compared to the average on offer in "corporate america." Are you comparing this to government benefits or something?

Don't get me wrong - lots of problems with biglaw I'm sure, even with benefits (WTF is with no 401k match!?!), but it doesn't seem like insurance is one of the problems.
Its not commensurate with the pay. Sure it's better than Walmart. But it's only like 60% subsidized for single folks. That's pretty shitty. My old job did 100% for single people.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

OneMoreLawHopeful

Silver

Post by OneMoreLawHopeful » Mon May 12, 2014 6:24 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
OneMoreLawHopeful wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Huh?

Its not commensurate with the pay. Sure it's better than Walmart. But it's only like 60% subsidized for single folks. That's pretty shitty. My old job did 100% for single people.
Without naming firms, I can say for certain that this is not true for all biglaw shops, and that some subsidized at 100% for single people, while others are at like 80-90%.

Still, it is fair warning to others about the range in packages and what to expect.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon May 12, 2014 6:27 pm

No biglaw firms do 401(k) matching? Not even like 2%?

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Mon May 12, 2014 6:30 pm

OneMoreLawHopeful wrote:
Without naming firms, I can say for certain that this is not true for all biglaw shops, and that some subsidized at 100% for single people, while others are at like 80-90%.

Still, it is fair warning to others about the range in packages and what to expect.
With naming firms, does any v20 have 80%+?

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Mon May 12, 2014 6:55 pm

jbagelboy wrote:No biglaw firms do 401(k) matching? Not even like 2%?
Wachtell does, but I haven't heard of any others.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”