PLEASE HELP: Quick Question Regarding GPA Calculation Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
aussy777

New

PLEASE HELP: Quick Question Regarding GPA Calculation

Post by aussy777 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:12 am

Hi, I'm beginning my junior year at UCLA this upcoming Fall, so I will be taking the LSAT fairly soon, along with finding out what my LSAC GPA calculation is. Currently, my GPA is a 3.7, but I received a D in a class my freshman year that was worth 5 units. Without this class, my GPA is 3.94. This class I received a D in is numbered 353 on my transcript, and on the back of my transcript it is noted with "300 level classes are generally remedial classes and/or non-transferable classes." My question is: is this statement on the back of my transcript enough to exclude this grade and class from my LSAC GPA calculation? Thank you.

encore1101

Silver

Re: PLEASE HELP: Quick Question Regarding GPA Calculation

Post by encore1101 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:19 am

No, the statement does not seem to exclude the D. Ask your academic advisor/counselor to be sure, but it sounds like it would have to be included.

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:01 am

Nope, that grade is for sure going to be counted. If it shows up on your transcript LSAC is pretty much always going to count it.

aussy777

New

Post by aussy777 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:54 pm

I'm surprised. LSAC says if a transcript clearly states a grade is remedial, then that grade will be excluded. I guess I have to talk to a counselor... it's such a drastic GPA drop for such an elementary class.

First Offense

Platinum

Post by First Offense » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:14 pm

aussy777 wrote:I'm surprised. LSAC says if a transcript clearly states a grade is remedial, then that grade will be excluded. I guess I have to talk to a counselor... it's such a drastic GPA drop for such an elementary class.
Shouldn't have gotten a D in such an elementary class, then.

aussy777

New

Post by aussy777 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:32 pm

Thanks for the helpful advice. That time is past and I have kept a near 4.0 average since. Hopefully LSAC regards the class as remedial. Either way, I'll make up for it on the LSAT.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”