Lenovo laptops

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
RU5H

New

Lenovo laptops

Postby RU5H » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:48 am

Anyone have any good/bad experiences with lenovo laptops? Lifetime dell user, and like he computers but they seem to crap out or break after a few years. Looking to switch it up but dont want a mac. Opinions appreciated!

paayter

Bronze

Re: Lenovo laptops

Postby paayter » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:20 am

RU5H wrote:Anyone have any good/bad experiences with lenovo laptops? Lifetime dell user, and like he computers but they seem to crap out or break after a few years. Looking to switch it up but dont want a mac. Opinions appreciated!

lenovo is a solid chinese based manufacturer of laptops. to be honest tho im sort of done with windows based laptop manufacturers, the build quality is so cheap, the wear becomes so apparent software wise and hardware wise. i think im going mac, pay a little extra for premium features, but not having to worry about your purchase.

esrom55

Bronze

Postby esrom55 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:03 am

I've got a Lenovo U510. It's only about a year old, so I can't speak to the durability aspect of it.

Overall, I like it, but I wouldn't say it's fundamentally different from a Dell or any other windows machines I've used. The bigger issue is going to be with the computer specs (RAM, processor, etc.).

My one big complaint about the computer (and I don't know if this is all Lenovos, but I do know it is pretty common for the U510) is that it randomly will shut down instead of going to sleep. For example, if you close the lid, half the time it fresh reboots and half the time it will wake up. The same thing happens if I walk away from my computer - half the time I come back and it wakes up, but the other half the time I have to reboot. This can be really frustrating if I have a bunch of apps open for whatever work I'm doing.

Also, the computer was super fast when I got it (booted in like 3 secs), but after actually using it, it takes a more normal amount of time to boot (AVG specifically adds like 10 seconds boot time, but also just slower overall despite trying to clean up start processes). Again, not a Lenovo-specific thing, more windows.

Hope this helped.

kalvano

Diamond

Postby kalvano » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:09 am

notedgarfigaro

Silver

Postby notedgarfigaro » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:17 pm

I've alternated between lenovos and dells, lenovo is definitely more durable and higher build quality now.

minnbills

Gold

Postby minnbills » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:22 pm

I've had mine through two years of law school (and lots of travel) and it has held up great.

Cellar-door

Bronze

Postby Cellar-door » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:34 pm

Lenovo is really solid. Won't get metal bodies in the cheaper ones, and they are often on the heavier, but Lenovo's rep is that they are reliable and they have the best keyboards of any manufacturer.

BankruptMe

Silver

Postby BankruptMe » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:36 pm

I love lenovos.

Mine had Dolby Surround Sound.

HRomanus

Silver

Postby HRomanus » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:49 pm

I'm on my second Lenovo since freshman year of UG (2009). I only had to replace the first because I stepped on the screen and then, later, spilled beer on the keyboard. Everyone thinks I am using a computer from the 1990s, but I have been happy with both. I do limited graphic design (Photoshop, Indesign, and Illustrator) on my T430.

buttes

Bronze

Postby buttes » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:45 pm

Lenovo laptops can vary widely. Do your research on what lines are worth using. The T series (e.g. T430 or the lighter T430s) is one of my preferred lines. Well constructed, plenty of power for everything non-gaming, and built to take a beating (the keyboard is completely separated from the innards, for example, letting spills pass through holes in the bottom instead of frying your machine -still might have to deal with sticky keys though or replacing your keyboard at the worst).

Coming both from a law firm IT department and using one in law school the last couple of years, it's been solid. Plus it has an optional extra battery that swaps out with the CD drive, making it one of the only laptops I've found that can comfortably make it through a long day without having to plug it in.

My only real negatives have been some of the "Lenovo Experience" software crap that's included, but that seems to have become the standard with plenty of major computer lines.

Looking around class, the most common computers do seem to be Macs, but almost no firm will ever issue a non-Windows computer to a non-partner, so you might as well use a PC now to keep from having to relearn later.

yackob

New

Postby yackob » Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:59 pm

Lenovo think pads are the standard in business for a reason- they're generally durable and easy to fix.

I have an idea pad (media line) which I'm quite happy with- had it about 16 months.

My experience with dell was punctuated by repeated hard drive failures. It's a common problem and totally sucks when you lose all your stuff.

Incidentally as a law student you should get dropbox and put all your school shit in it no matter what

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate?