A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Snape

Bronze

Re: Do grades Matter? - Im going solo!

Postby Snape » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:00 pm

TelegramSam wrote:
Snape wrote:Going solo right after law school isn't crazy. Look at some lawyer memoirs on amazon--there are some amazing stories that can be inspiring. But, if you are in that LSAT range I you will likely have some options--possibly even big law once you graduate and it is nice to let someone else pay to train you for 2-3 years and then go solo (or start something with a co-partner). If solo is your goal though you should look in the 10-50 USNews rankings at the region you want to start in. Connections will be key going solo and you will likely want to practice near where you go to school. Also, look to get a full ride in that region. So if you want Boston for example a full ride at BU or BC is better for a future solo practitioner than a full ride at Vandy or WUSTL. Good luck!

Solid advice. When looking for help making decisions regarding law school in 2014 lawyer memoirs on amazon are definitely the way to go.

Well for this response…here is equal advice…read TLS….then you will realize the decision regarding law school in 2014 is DONT GO! So I guess you might as well have read some memoirs just as much as you should have read this blog.

patogordo

Gold

Postby patogordo » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:08 pm

arklaw13 wrote:Personally if I was ever going to hire a solo to some legal work for me I would ask to see his transcript and would probably request a letter of recommendation from at least one professor. If you can't take a law school exam, how can you possibly do real legal work? I'd also probably make sure he was on law review. Wouldn't want him to screw up bluebooking the citations in the briefs he files for me.

:lol:

TelegramSam

Silver

Postby TelegramSam » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:09 pm

Snape wrote:
TelegramSam wrote:
Snape wrote:Going solo right after law school isn't crazy. Look at some lawyer memoirs on amazon--there are some amazing stories that can be inspiring. But, if you are in that LSAT range I you will likely have some options--possibly even big law once you graduate and it is nice to let someone else pay to train you for 2-3 years and then go solo (or start something with a co-partner). If solo is your goal though you should look in the 10-50 USNews rankings at the region you want to start in. Connections will be key going solo and you will likely want to practice near where you go to school. Also, look to get a full ride in that region. So if you want Boston for example a full ride at BU or BC is better for a future solo practitioner than a full ride at Vandy or WUSTL. Good luck!

Solid advice. When looking for help making decisions regarding law school in 2014 lawyer memoirs on amazon are definitely the way to go.

Well for this response…here is equal advice…read TLS….then you will realize the decision regarding law school in 2014 is DONT GO! So I guess you might as well have read some memoirs just as much as you should have read this blog.

TLS is a blog?

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Postby Mal Reynolds » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:12 pm

You know who else called TLS a blog.

TelegramSam

Silver

Postby TelegramSam » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:22 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:You know who else called TLS a blog.

Dingbat?

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Postby Mal Reynolds » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:25 pm

I thought it was bearsgrl but I must be losing my touch.

TelegramSam

Silver

Postby TelegramSam » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:34 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:I thought it was bearsgrl but I must be losing my touch.

Oh you're right. This is just the kind of shitty advice she'd give too.

Tbf I was close

twenty

Gold

Postby twenty » Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:51 pm

LegacyRabbit was known for that too.

jphiggo

Bronze

Postby jphiggo » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:26 pm

TelegramSam wrote:

I found skipping the actual memoir and just reading the 5* feedback to be actually the most helpful.

Snape

Bronze

Postby Snape » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:56 pm

Yeah, yeah. I can guarantee one thing: reading memoirs for inspiration by ACTUAL lawyers and people who have actually practiced will help more than the sarcasm of TLS hacks who's only plan is/was big-law or bust. At least the original OP has a plan and is thinking of something besides "Big-law or bust" and then when misses big-law all of a sudden really is interested in PI or gov't work.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:01 pm

twenty wrote:LegacyRabbit was known for that too.

It looks like it's a good shitposter flag.

spleenworship

Gold

Postby spleenworship » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:07 pm

Snape wrote:Yeah, yeah. I can guarantee one thing: reading memoirs for inspiration by ACTUAL lawyers and people who have actually practiced will help more than the sarcasm of TLS hacks who's only plan is/was big-law or bust. At least the original OP has a plan and is thinking of something besides "Big-law or bust" and then when misses big-law all of a sudden really is interested in PI or gov't work.

You like generalities, anecdotes, and special snowflakes, don't you?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate?