A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
SteveJobsRevived

New

Postby SteveJobsRevived » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:13 pm

Last edited by SteveJobsRevived on Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

spleenworship

Gold

Re: Do grades Matter? - Im going solo!

Postby spleenworship » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:16 pm

1. Don't go solo right away if you can get ANY kind of legal job. At all. Going solo out of law school is like taking O-Chem at a community college and then opening a pharmacy.

2. Yes, you have plenty of free time unless you are burdened with children.

MKC

Diamond

Postby MKC » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:20 pm

spleenworship wrote:1. Don't go solo right away if you can get ANY kind of legal job. At all. Going solo out of law school is like taking O-Chem at a community college and then opening a pharmacy.

2. Yes, you have plenty of free time unless you are burdened blessed with children.

Those are little miracles you're talking about Spleen.

SteveJobsRevived

New

Postby SteveJobsRevived » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:21 pm

Last edited by SteveJobsRevived on Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

spleenworship

Gold

Postby spleenworship » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:24 pm

MarkinKansasCity wrote:
spleenworship wrote:1. Don't go solo right away if you can get ANY kind of legal job. At all. Going solo out of law school is like taking O-Chem at a community college and then opening a pharmacy.

2. Yes, you have plenty of free time unless you are burdened blessed with children.

Those are little miracles you're talking about Spleen.

I prefer f***trophy. But hey, tomato/tomato.

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Postby Mal Reynolds » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:24 pm

Why go to law school at all if you're going solo. Just take the bar.

spleenworship

Gold

Postby spleenworship » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:26 pm

SteveJobsRevived wrote:

2. Yes, you have plenty of free time unless you are burdened with children.

Great. So, I can go to law school and actually have a life. - this lsat studying is quite the opposite.

Anyways, I guess GPA doesn't really matter? Law school is beginning to sound a tad bit better :)

I know a few guys in law school now (1Ls and 2Ls) and they seem to ALWAYS be at the library. I wonder why... :?

Because grades matter A LOT if you want a job after you graduate. As I just indicated, you WANT a job with an experienced attorney before you go solo if there is any possible way, up to and including prostituting yourself, to do so. That's why they are always in the library, they want jobs.

Also, some probably have scholarships to keep as well.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Postby TheSpanishMain » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:30 pm

SteveJobsRevived wrote:
Great. So, I can go to law school and actually have a life. - this lsat studying is quite the opposite.

Yeah, everyone I've talked to has told me that law school is way less demanding than LSAT prep.

spleenworship

Gold

Postby spleenworship » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:35 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:
SteveJobsRevived wrote:

Yeah, everyone I've talked to has told me that law school is way less demanding than LSAT prep.

bearsfan23

Gold

Postby bearsfan23 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:41 pm

Grades are especially important if you're going solo right after graduation.

Good luck getting any clients unless you have multiple framed CALI awards on your office wall

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Postby TheSpanishMain » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:47 pm

Also, if you're going solo, why all the LSAT prep? Any TTT will do.

SteveJobsRevived

New

Postby SteveJobsRevived » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:52 pm

spleenworship

Gold

Postby spleenworship » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:54 pm

Yes, because preftige matters for a solo. Every client is an avid USNWR ranking reader.

BigZuck

Diamond

Postby BigZuck » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:03 pm

I don't really have any advice to give, just wanted to tell the OP Good luck! Follow your dreams!

suzige

Bronze

Postby suzige » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:46 pm

no. going solo straight out of school is probably one of the worst ideas ever.

daleearnhardt123

Bronze

Postby daleearnhardt123 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:03 pm

I'm going to justify following this thread by telling myself that lots of people don't root for train wrecks but, regardless, can't manage to turn away when they see one.

TelegramSam

Silver

Postby TelegramSam » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:11 pm

If you dont have free time and all youre doing is studying for the LSAT you already fucked up

bk1

Diamond

Postby bk1 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:19 pm

TelegramSam wrote:If you dont have free time and all youre doing is studying for the LSAT you already fucked up

:lol:

Snape

Bronze

Postby Snape » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:54 am

Going solo right after law school isn't crazy. Look at some lawyer memoirs on amazon--there are some amazing stories that can be inspiring. But, if you are in that LSAT range I you will likely have some options--possibly even big law once you graduate and it is nice to let someone else pay to train you for 2-3 years and then go solo (or start something with a co-partner). If solo is your goal though you should look in the 10-50 USNews rankings at the region you want to start in. Connections will be key going solo and you will likely want to practice near where you go to school. Also, look to get a full ride in that region. So if you want Boston for example a full ride at BU or BC is better for a future solo practitioner than a full ride at Vandy or WUSTL. Good luck!

n1o2c3a4c5h6e7t

Bronze

Postby n1o2c3a4c5h6e7t » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:18 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:Why go to law school at all if you're going solo. Just take the bar.

Does anybody still do this?

arklaw13

Gold

Postby arklaw13 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:25 pm

Personally if I was ever going to hire a solo to some legal work for me I would ask to see his transcript and would probably request a letter of recommendation from at least one professor. If you can't take a law school exam, how can you possibly do real legal work? I'd also probably make sure he was on law review. Wouldn't want him to screw up bluebooking the citations in the briefs he files for me.

TelegramSam

Silver

Postby TelegramSam » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:42 pm

Snape wrote:Going solo right after law school isn't crazy. Look at some lawyer memoirs on amazon--there are some amazing stories that can be inspiring. But, if you are in that LSAT range I you will likely have some options--possibly even big law once you graduate and it is nice to let someone else pay to train you for 2-3 years and then go solo (or start something with a co-partner). If solo is your goal though you should look in the 10-50 USNews rankings at the region you want to start in. Connections will be key going solo and you will likely want to practice near where you go to school. Also, look to get a full ride in that region. So if you want Boston for example a full ride at BU or BC is better for a future solo practitioner than a full ride at Vandy or WUSTL. Good luck!

Solid advice. When looking for help making decisions regarding law school in 2014 lawyer memoirs on amazon are definitely the way to go.

BigZuck

Diamond

Postby BigZuck » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:50 pm

TelegramSam wrote:
Snape wrote:Going solo right after law school isn't crazy. Look at some lawyer memoirs on amazon--there are some amazing stories that can be inspiring. But, if you are in that LSAT range I you will likely have some options--possibly even big law once you graduate and it is nice to let someone else pay to train you for 2-3 years and then go solo (or start something with a co-partner). If solo is your goal though you should look in the 10-50 USNews rankings at the region you want to start in. Connections will be key going solo and you will likely want to practice near where you go to school. Also, look to get a full ride in that region. So if you want Boston for example a full ride at BU or BC is better for a future solo practitioner than a full ride at Vandy or WUSTL. Good luck!

Solid advice. When looking for help making decisions regarding law school in 2014 lawyer memoirs on amazon are definitely the way to go.

:)

"Memoirs" implies that they are old AF, or at least not a recent grad. Also, I bet it wouldn't take a whole lot of digging to find a book written by someone who won the lottery.

bdubs

Gold

Postby bdubs » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:50 pm

n1o2c3a4c5h6e7t wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:Why go to law school at all if you're going solo. Just take the bar.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Admission_ ... law_school

It's not exactly as easy as just taking the bar exam.

n1o2c3a4c5h6e7t

Bronze

Postby n1o2c3a4c5h6e7t » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:59 pm

bdubs wrote:
n1o2c3a4c5h6e7t wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Admission_ ... law_school

It's not exactly as easy as just taking the bar exam.

I'm aware of that; my question regards whether or not this is still a common practice.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate?