Bored GULC 3L Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
cappuccino&latte

New

Re: Bored GULC 3L Taking Questions

Post by cappuccino&latte » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:12 pm

Transfer Orientation/Registration Day question: Is it a one-day thing or like a whole week thing? Starts at 9:00 am but end at...? Thanks!

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:24 pm

cappuccino&latte wrote:Transfer Orientation/Registration Day question: Is it a one-day thing or like a whole week thing? Starts at 9:00 am but end at...? Thanks!
Looks like it never ends and we'll be stuck there :(

cappuccino&latte

New

Post by cappuccino&latte » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:40 pm

chuckbass wrote:
cappuccino&latte wrote:Transfer Orientation/Registration Day question: Is it a one-day thing or like a whole week thing? Starts at 9:00 am but end at...? Thanks!
Looks like it never ends and we'll be stuck there :(
WHATTTT?! hahaha what does that even mean...? :shock:

awoodard

New

Post by awoodard » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:57 pm

Will being a member of a specialty journal hurt/pigeonhole you at EIW if you don't necessarily want that practice area? For example, getting Immigration Law Journal but not really gunning for immigration at EIW, or getting ACLR and not necessarily definitively knowing you want to do criminal law?

theotherone823

Bronze

Post by theotherone823 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:15 pm

awoodard wrote:Will being a member of a specialty journal hurt/pigeonhole you at EIW if you don't necessarily want that practice area? For example, getting Immigration Law Journal but not really gunning for immigration at EIW, or getting ACLR and not necessarily definitively knowing you want to do criminal law?
I know it's only anecdotal, but back in the spring, ACLR had panel where ACLR alumni came and talked about their experiences on the journal. Of the 3 alumni that were on the panel (all working at firms), only 1 was doing any sort of criminal-related work. I imagine it's fairly common for people to join a secondary journal that's unrelated to the area in which they want to practice, so I don't see it pigeonholing you into a particular practice area. Just have a good answer for why you wanted to join that journal, just in case you get asked.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:26 pm

awoodard wrote:Will being a member of a specialty journal hurt/pigeonhole you at EIW if you don't necessarily want that practice area? For example, getting Immigration Law Journal but not really gunning for immigration at EIW, or getting ACLR and not necessarily definitively knowing you want to do criminal law?
No. No one cares about secondary journals.

awoodard

New

Post by awoodard » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:30 pm

Capitol_Idea wrote:
To the point where having one is good but probably won't come up in an interview, or to the point where it isn't worth it? (Obviously depends on the jounral/person but just want some opinions)

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:58 pm

awoodard wrote:
Capitol_Idea wrote:
To the point where having one is good but probably won't come up in an interview, or to the point where it isn't worth it? (Obviously depends on the jounral/person but just want some opinions)
Honestly to the point it isn't worth it but ymmv. I enjoyed getting a note published but the blue booking and editor work is annoying, and you might have to judge write on next year. That is also unpleasant.

Firms really, really don't care about journals. Some care a little about main journal but that's it.

BmoreOrLess

Gold

Post by BmoreOrLess » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:31 pm

Figured I'd stop shitting up the EIW thread and move my dumb questions here.

I assume you can do your journal work mostly on your own time, right? Like there's not really a schedule or anything, other than obviously due dates.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:34 pm

BmoreOrLess wrote:Figured I'd stop shitting up the EIW thread and move my dumb questions here.

I assume you can do your journal work mostly on your own time, right? Like there's not really a schedule or anything, other than obviously due dates.
Yeah. There are due dates and you can do it on your own time EXCEPT for the source collect stuff. Because you may actually have to go hunt down books at other universities (by which I mean have the GULC library do it for you through WorldCat), you need to build in time for that. So source collect stuff you usually have to jump on right away as soon as you get the assignment.

gtown1212

New

Post by gtown1212 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:33 am

idk if capitol is right about journals not mattering. I had friends who were asked specifically why they didn't do a journal during EIW.

if you got on a journal, just accept it and do the work. it's honestly not that bad.

EzraFitz

Silver

Post by EzraFitz » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:16 am

gtown1212 wrote:idk if capitol is right about journals not mattering. I had friends who were asked specifically why they didn't do a journal during EIW.

if you got on a journal, just accept it and do the work. it's honestly not that bad.
I think the point is not that they never matter, but moreso that anecdotal moments where they matter are far outnumbered by anecdotal moments where they didn't (at least that's the impression I get). Granted, I'm still doing my journal haha... but nonetheless.

JustHawkin

Gold

Post by JustHawkin » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:20 am

Anyone know if we can sort the open interview slots to the top of the "see all" when open sign up starts?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:35 am

How do we drop ourselves from wait listed classes? I just can't seem to figure out how to do this :?

EzraFitz

Silver

Post by EzraFitz » Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:33 pm

chuckbass wrote:How do we drop ourselves from wait listed classes? I just can't seem to figure out how to do this :?
According to MyAccess: "If you wish to remove yourself from a section waitlist, you may do so from this Add/Drop Link or from MyAccess."

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:22 pm

EzraFitz wrote:
chuckbass wrote:How do we drop ourselves from wait listed classes? I just can't seem to figure out how to do this :?
According to MyAccess: "If you wish to remove yourself from a section waitlist, you may do so from this Add/Drop Link or from MyAccess."
Yeah I saw that but then there's no link and nothing else anywhere on myaccess for this :cry:

EzraFitz

Silver

Post by EzraFitz » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:17 am

chuckbass wrote:
EzraFitz wrote:
Yeah I saw that but then there's no link and nothing else anywhere on myaccess for this :cry:
It might not let you until classes start, because Myaccess is the worst.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JustHawkin

Gold

Post by JustHawkin » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:42 am

What's the approach for finding RA position outside of symplicity? Are there ones known for taking RAs?

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:21 pm

JustHawkin wrote:What's the approach for finding RA position outside of symplicity? Are there ones known for taking RAs?
1. Get to know professor by taking class of theirs
2. Go to professor office hours
3. Ask if professor needs an RA or (better) get asked by said prof if they like you enough.

kray

Bronze

Post by kray » Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:29 pm

Work-study question: How do new students find positions? My GULC netid/login info doesn't work yet for Symplicity. Is TCR to wait for orientation to learn more or are there jobs posted somewhere now?

JustHawkin

Gold

Post by JustHawkin » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:27 pm

Capitol_Idea wrote:
JustHawkin wrote:What's the approach for finding RA position outside of symplicity? Are there ones known for taking RAs?
3. Ask if professor needs an RA or (better) get asked by said prof if they like you enough.
lol. Biggest GULC downfall, gunners monopolization of office hours.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:56 pm

JustHawkin wrote:
Capitol_Idea wrote:
lol. Biggest GULC downfall, gunners monopolization of office hours.
Yep. And those gunners go on to be RAs. Alternative is just knowing the profs - the two I've worked for I was introduced to through my wife.

What are you looking for in an RA gig? PM me if you want and I'd be happy to advise more specifically on what might help or which profs might be good targets.

GULCsect7

New

Post by GULCsect7 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:56 pm

How do you register for main campus classes? I can't figure it out for the life of me, and there doesn't seem to be much guidance anywhere on GULC websites. Thanks!

RDA2930

New

Post by RDA2930 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:29 pm

So being on a law journal is already shaping up to be one of the worst decisions I've ever made...any input on whether it's really that big of a deal to quit? Not sure I can deal with this pointless tedium for two years...

Glasseyes

Silver

Post by Glasseyes » Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:50 pm

RDA2930 wrote:So being on a law journal is already shaping up to be one of the worst decisions I've ever made...any input on whether it's really that big of a deal to quit? Not sure I can deal with this pointless tedium for two years...
Yeah, it's not fun, that's for sure. My journal gave us a lecture about the consequences of trying to quit during our initial orientation: basically they make a stink to the school and career services, who sends a letter to your upcoming summer employer that you're a quitter. I would assume if you get permission from your firm to quit then you're probably fine, but you'll be strictly barred from keeping it on your resume. Our editor framed it more like: if you quit you will probably lose your job. No idea if that's true, but I'm not about to find out.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”