Practicing Law in Austin, TX (not necessarily biglaw) Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Glasseyes

Silver

Practicing Law in Austin, TX (not necessarily biglaw)

Post by Glasseyes » Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:16 am

Like the title says. Reading TLS has taught me no one gets biglaw in Austin. Or that some people do, but they're clearly better at law school/networking/life than I could ever hope to be, therefore it's already off the table.

What about other types of legal jobs? Theoretically shouldn't there be IP work to be had with all the tech and startups in the area? As the capital of a giant state, shouldn't there government work? If the goal after graduation is to stay in Austin and make some money (as opposed to all of the money), can this be attained by attending a school like UT Austin? Or is every position stupid competitive because Austin is Austin and everyone on earth wants to be here?

Thanks in advance for any responses, and for tolerating my sarcasm.

bk1

Diamond

Re: Practicing Law in Austin, TX (not necessarily biglaw)

Post by bk1 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:31 am

Glasseyes wrote:Theoretically shouldn't there be IP work to be had with all the tech and startups in the area? As the capital of a giant state, shouldn't there government work?
1. The only patent work startups tend to generate is patent prosecution so if you don't have a tech degree that's not really open to you. Biglaw firms do do emerging company work but Austin's startup scene just isn't large enough to support a bunch of startup lawyers.

2. Most gov jobs are not open to entry level hires.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:53 am

Glasseyes wrote:Or is every position stupid competitive because Austin is Austin and everyone on earth wants to be here?
Every position is stupid competitive because quite a number of people want to be there for some reason.

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:05 am

kalvano wrote:
Glasseyes wrote:Or is every position stupid competitive because Austin is Austin and everyone on earth wants to be here?
Every position is stupid competitive because quite a number of people want to be there for some reason.
Can you blame them? Austin is great :mrgreen:

Chiming in, from a naive 0L perspective in regards to competitiveness. I did lunch with an associate at a bigfirm's Austin office recently, and when I asked him about Austin employment almost everyone he was talking to me about had previous clerkship experience prior to being an associate in Austin and that he felt that was essential for getting his position.

But I was envious that I was more well dressed in jeans and a button up shirt.

Of course, this is anecdotal and surely not representative of all associates in Austin, but the impression seems to be it is hard to get.

Running on this question though: for any 0Ls, like myself, who would love to get Austin biglaw, what schools should be considered?

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:18 am

Austin blows. Almost as bad as Houston. Nothing but terrible weather, stupid hipsters, and horrendous traffic.

As for firms and schools, H/Y/S? I mean, it's a tiny legal market, and even the large firms there don't have a large class size there. Just a few open spots, so the competition is very intense. No matter what school you go to, have a back-up plan because it's likely you won't get Austin simply due to a lack of available positions.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:26 am

kalvano wrote:Austin blows. Almost as bad as Houston. Nothing but terrible weather, stupid hipsters, and horrendous traffic.

As for firms and schools, H/Y/S? I mean, it's a tiny legal market, and even the large firms there don't have a large class size there. Just a few open spots, so the competition is very intense. No matter what school you go to, have a back-up plan because it's likely you won't get Austin simply due to a lack of available positions.
Those are probably the three things I'd get rid of.

Good to know, and since I won't ever get into any I'll just keep going for the idea of Dallas as the plan.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:34 am

kalvano wrote:Austin blows. Almost as bad as Houston. Nothing but terrible weather, stupid hipsters, and horrendous traffic.

I don't know what the hipster sitch is like in Dallas but terrible weather is a universal Texas thing and horrendous traffic is universal in all TX big cities.

Because I don't have a dog in this fight I can say that Austin is unequivocally amazing. Not going to touch the Houston/Dallas rivalry.

As a 0L I would probably give up on the dream of working as a big lawyer in any of the most desirable places to live in this country (with the exception of New York City). Too many issues with the whole good grades and ties things. I would go into school with the mindset that "If I crush it then great" but really have your sights set on markets that are more attainable.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:51 am

[quote="BigZuck"]I can say that Austin is unequivocally amazing. /quote]

And to think I used to agree with your advice.

El Principe

Silver

Post by El Principe » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:05 pm

BigZuck wrote:

I don't know what the hipster sitch is like in Dallas but terrible weather is a universal Texas thing and horrendous traffic is universal in all TX big cities.

Because I don't have a dog in this fight I can say that Austin is unequivocally amazing. Not going to touch the Houston/Dallas rivalry.

As a 0L I would probably give up on the dream of working as a big lawyer in any of the most desirable places to live in this country (with the exception of New York City). Too many issues with the whole good grades and ties things. I would go into school with the mindset that "If I crush it then great" but really have your sights set on markets that are more attainable.
I can testify that Dallas doesn't suffer from the hipster plague, however, we've had our fair share of yuppies and douches wearing Ed Hardy type shirts, but thankfully that's starting to disappear.

I couldn't live in Austin because they don't have a pro team (I dare you to say Texas football :lol: ) and the cost of living is ridiculous. I understand it's got this kinda-California vibe going on, but damn, I shouldn't have to pay kinda-California prices to live there.

Regarding the weather/heat, you're not going to find much good weather anywhere unless you're in Miami or California.

And I have no intention of living elsewhere, except maybe Cali, but the large amount of people telling me that it's overrated, even moving to cesspools like Louisiana, have done more than enough to convince me it's a pipe-dream I'd regret. After all, it's not like you're going to have the time or money to be surfing the waves every day outside your luxurious waterfront property, touring the California country side with your Ferrari, or group dates with your model girlfriend and your favorite celebrity couple... did I mention I won't have enough time & money?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:22 pm

kalvano wrote:
BigZuck wrote:I can say that Austin is unequivocally amazing. /quote]

:)

There's good restaurants and bars and stuff in all TX big cities but its just so concentrated and easy to get to in Austin as opposed to the sprawl of Dallas and Houston (assuming you live in Austin, if you're trying to travel in from the suburbs then that's your funeral). And there's stuff happening all the time. It's great.

But of course YMMV

BigLawer

Bronze

Post by BigLawer » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:34 pm

BigZuck wrote:
kalvano wrote:

There's good restaurants and bars and stuff in all TX big cities but its just so concentrated and easy to get to in Austin as opposed to the sprawl of Dallas and Houston (assuming you live in Austin, if you're trying to travel in from the suburbs then that's your funeral). And there's stuff happening all the time. It's great.

But of course YMMV
I have lived in all 3 cities. Houston>Dallas>>Austin

If you dont care about having a successful career and $$$ then Austin moves up. But who goes to law school and cares more about being able to go to SXSW than attempting at the most prosperous career possible. I had offers in all 3 cities, chose Htown (and I am from Austin).

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:44 pm

BigLawer wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
kalvano wrote:

But of course YMMV
I have lived in all 3 cities. Houston>Dallas>>Austin

If you dont care about having a successful career and $$$ then Austin moves up. But who goes to law school and cares more about being able to go to SXSW than attempting at the most prosperous career possible. I had offers in all 3 cities, chose Htown (and I am from Austin).
People care about different stuff? I know it's hard for some Texans to wrap their mind around this concept but some people want to live in places like CA as well.

Anyway, devolving into yet another "Which TX city is better?" debate is a little off topic. Sorry OP.

Magnifique1908

Silver

Post by Magnifique1908 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:58 am

Non-native here (who will not get into the Texas city debate).

Worked in Austin big law as a 1L and doing the same this coming summer (with a short stint in Dallas thrown in for good measure). Had offers in all three cities.

Feel free to PM with specific questions.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:09 pm

Magnifique1908 wrote:Non-native here (who will not get into the Texas city debate).

Worked in Austin big law as a 1L and doing the same this coming summer (with a short stint in Dallas thrown in for good measure). Had offers in all three cities.

Not to discount your experiences at all, but as a URM female, your experiences likely will not be typical.

rion91

Silver

Post by rion91 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:13 pm

I have a friend who's a partner in a mid-to-large size law firm (80+ attorneys) and she said Austin just can't support training recruits like it used to. They've turned to laterals for the most part, outside of "diversity" recruits.

Edit: This firm has a big presence in Austin

Magnifique1908

Silver

Post by Magnifique1908 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:49 pm

kalvano wrote:
Magnifique1908 wrote:Non-native here (who will not get into the Texas city debate).

Not to discount your experiences at all, but as a URM female, your experiences likely will not be typical.
'

I'm aware of that but considering that I wasn't alone in any of my summer classes (class size ranged from 4-9), that I was the only "URM" in all of them, and that my grades put me on par with everyone else that has been hired in Austin (from UT at least), I'm sure that I can help someone out even if they aren't "diverse."

eeebbb

New

Post by eeebbb » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:32 pm

Magnifique1908 wrote:
kalvano wrote:

'

I'm aware of that but considering that I wasn't alone in any of my summer classes (class size ranged from 4-9), that I was the only "URM" in all of them, and that my grades put me on par with everyone else that has been hired in Austin (from UT at least), I'm sure that I can help someone out even if they aren't "diverse."
Mind telling me what school you're at and where you stand in your class? Debating nyu and UT right now. I want to Austin big law to be an option.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:00 pm

eeebbb wrote:
Magnifique1908 wrote:
kalvano wrote:

'

Mind telling me what school you're at and where you stand in your class? Debating nyu and UT right now. I want to Austin big law to be an option.
Austin big law is almost never an option

Houston/Dallas big law is hard enough to get.

NYC big law is the easiest to get and NYU will give you an enormous leg up there. I wouldn't consider UT just for Austin big law. I could see picking it for a host of other factors, but not solely thinking about Austin big law.

Best course of action is to forget Austin big law even exists IMO. If you can pull it off at the end of 1L year, great. But don't make school decisions based on it.

timmyd

Bronze

Post by timmyd » Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:31 pm

Austin is a great city, but it doesn't really have much as far as big law goes. Most profiles I see for austin big law associates seem to be HYS/UT top of the class. I think it would go a long way if you could get a clerkship for Tx S.C. and have ability to network a lot, but as BigZuck said, you really shouldn't be thinking of that as a realistic possibility right now. To add to the dead debate from last year, Austin is great. I haven't lived in Houston or Dallas, but the only city I enjoy more than Austin is New Orleans.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”