What are the best available judicial externships? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
gotsomequestions

Bronze

What are the best available judicial externships?

Post by gotsomequestions » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:59 am

Say I have a connection to a state appellate judge. Do I gun for that if it's in the state I want to practice?

Are federal externships always considered better?

Any links to previous threads I cannot find are helpful too.

Please don't answer "retake"

kalvano

Diamond

Re: What are the best available judicial externships?

Post by kalvano » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:08 am

Are you asking which will help you get a job? Almost certainly no judicial externship will help you get a job.

fathergoose

Silver

Post by fathergoose » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:24 am

The best available externship is an externship in the area of law you want to practice. I agree that an externship won't get you a job (unless externing for the Supreme Court was a thing) but I do think it can paint part of the picture you try and sell a firm. This is especially true for specialized areas of law (tax, bk, probate, IP). For general litigation I would see it being less helpful, other than as a data point that you can point to as validation of your interest in litigation.

And as a general rule, federal internship/externship/clerkship are always better than state.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:51 am

Eh, the best externship is one where you get substantive experience and have enough interaction with the judge to gain a mentor or reference - someone who will speak well of you. That can happen in either state or federal externships.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”