Grade Anomaly Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
adpondcummings

New

Grade Anomaly

Post by adpondcummings » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:42 pm

I'm a 2L at a T20. GPA ~ 3.9. I decided to take a winter course at my school this year. As usual, I felt fantastic about the material and about my performance on the exam. About a week ago I found out that I got the worst grade in the class (about 20 students). The professor has dodged my only email, but of course I do intend to talk with him as soon as possible.

My gut is this: This can't be right. It just can't possibly be. He must have done something horribly wrong.

My QUESTION is this: What can i do? What's an effective way to approach this situation? IF the grade can be changed, it will almost invariably have to be at HIS insistence. Even if he screwed up horribly, I doubt I can get this situation remedied without his help. But, confronting him basically means telling him he dropped the ball. Not exactly an easy conversation to have.

Anyone have any input, or have faced something similar? Ya, ya I know it's possible that I deserved it. But top GPA in the class, worst grade in the class, what are really the odds?

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Re: Grade Anomaly

Post by Tiago Splitter » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:48 pm

How bad was the grade? If you got a D when the next lowest grade was a B I'd think something was up, but if lowest grade in the class means a B- then it's probably legit

Asleep

New

Post by Asleep » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:49 pm

It's possible a mistake was made, but make sure you go about this the right way. Certainly don't confront him. I would suggest asking to go over your exam with him. In my experience, professors are happy to do this. If there really was a major error, it should become apparent.

adpondcummings

New

Post by adpondcummings » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:51 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:How bad was the grade? If you got a D when the next lowest grade was a B I'd think something was up, but if lowest grade in the class means a B- then it's probably legit
I'm trying to divulge as little identifying information here as possible. To answer your question as best as I can, I'll say that this class (like I would imagine many classes of this size and duration are) has a very steep curve (i.e. a LOT of grades at median and 1-3 above, 0-2 below). I was one gradation below median, but that represented the 0-2 that are below. Of course, this also means that I didn't get a D, which I would think raises a rebuttable presumption that your professor graded with a vendetta in mind.

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:52 pm

adpondcummings wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:How bad was the grade? If you got a D when the next lowest grade was a B I'd think something was up, but if lowest grade in the class means a B- then it's probably legit
I'm trying to divulge as little identifying information here as possible. To answer your question as best as I can, I'll say that this class (like I would imagine many classes of this size and duration are) has a very steep curve (i.e. a LOT of grades at median and 1-3 above, 0-2 below). I was one gradation below median, but that represented the 0-2 that are below. Of course, this also means that I didn't get a D, which I would think raises a rebuttable presumption that your professor graded with a vendetta in mind.
Are exams not blind graded at your school?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

adpondcummings

New

Post by adpondcummings » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:54 pm

ph14 wrote:
adpondcummings wrote:
Are exams not blind graded at your school?
They are blind, but the professor eventually must line up the grade with an actual name, as well as take into considerations such as participation and attendance. So they are really BINO - blind in name only. I DON'T think the professor had a score to settle with me. I merely think he did not do his job. Perhaps, even, just assigned random grades. Or, maybe, completely messed up when he input them (i.e. he meant to give me a higher grade) and now might not own up to it.

First Offense

Platinum

Post by First Offense » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:04 pm

Or maybe you didn't do that well? It just seems that this possibility is completely absent in your analysis.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:06 pm

Does the professor actually line up the grade with the name? Everywhere I know of, the registrar does this. The prof has the right to adjust for attendance, but never actually adjusts the exam grade/matches it with any specific student.

But I agree with the above that the best way to handle this is to ask to go over your exam with the prof and see what comes of it. One gradation below median in a class of 20 people with a very tight curve sounds perfectly plausible to me, frankly.

SemperLegal

Silver

Post by SemperLegal » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:09 pm

adpondcummings wrote:I'm a 2L at a T20. GPA ~ 3.9. I decided to take a winter course at my school this year. As usual, I felt fantastic about the material and about my performance on the exam. About a week ago I found out that I got the worst grade in the class (about 20 students). The professor has dodged my only email, but of course I do intend to talk with him as soon as possible.

My gut is this: This can't be right. It just can't possibly be. He must have done something horribly wrong.

My QUESTION is this: What can i do? What's an effective way to approach this situation? IF the grade can be changed, it will almost invariably have to be at HIS insistence. Even if he screwed up horribly, I doubt I can get this situation remedied without his help. But, confronting him basically means telling him he dropped the ball. Not exactly an easy conversation to have.

Anyone have any input, or have faced something similar? Ya, ya I know it's possible that I deserved it. But top GPA in the class, worst grade in the class, what are really the odds?

I hope I'm wrong, but its a winter class. It is probally filled with gunners who didn't want to go home for the holidays because of there extreme interest in the topic being taught. I think you might just have gotten screwed with an EXTREMELY tight curve. Its possible all 20 of you wrote model answers, especially if it was a huge issue spotter or policy questions where no one was expected to cover even 20% of the material. You just randomly choose the wrong issues that excite the professor (especially likely since in a winter class, you have less time to suss out the professors preference and interests).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

adpondcummings

New

Post by adpondcummings » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:12 pm

I'm willing to entertain the idea I performed poorly. But given that past performance is probably the best indicator of future performance, what's the likelihood that the best GPA in the class performs the worst? There were absolutely no gunners in this class (which made it attractive to take). And yes, at my school the professors do line up the "blind" exam results with the name before they submit it to the registrar who inputs it.

I understand that one gradation below median seems like it makes the situation more plausible, but consider: This means I am #20 (or perhaps #19) in a class of 20 where I was the highest incoming GPA. And that there was a GAP between me and #18, or else he couldve just given us all median grades. I know that TLS is fond of telling people that they are full of themselves and need to accept their failures, but Im surprised that more people don't have a strong presumption here that something is incredibly odd.

Muff

New

Post by Muff » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:16 pm

adpondcummings wrote:I'm willing to entertain the idea I performed poorly. But given that past performance is probably the best indicator of future performance, what's the likelihood that the best GPA in the class performs the worst? There were absolutely no gunners in this class (which made it attractive to take). And yes, at my school the professors do line up the "blind" exam results with the name before they submit it to the registrar who inputs it.

I understand that one gradation below median seems like it makes the situation more plausible, but consider: This means I am #20 (or perhaps #19) in a class of 20 where I was the highest incoming GPA. And that there was a GAP between me and #18, or else he couldve just given us all median grades. I know that TLS is fond of telling people that they are full of themselves and need to accept their failures, but Im surprised that more people don't have a strong presumption here that something is incredibly odd.
This is kinda funny hahahah

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:18 pm

Probably because we've all seen really wide ranges of grades given out to people (I have seen this very scenario play out with someone in my class). If it were a D or even a C I'd consider it more unusual than basically getting median-pwned. Have you had a class with this professor before? Past performance with different professors is different. Your result is frustrating, sure, and it's entirely possible there is something weird going on, so investigate away. But honestly, no, this doesn't strike me as "incredibly odd."

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:19 pm

go over your exam with the professor.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:20 pm

How do you know you even have the worse grade in the class?

mr.hands

Silver

Post by mr.hands » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:16 pm

adpondcummings wrote:I'm willing to entertain the idea I performed poorly.

I understand that one gradation below median seems like it makes the situation more plausible, but consider: This means I am #20 (or perhaps #19) in a class of 20 where I was the highest incoming GPA. And that there was a GAP between me and #18, or else he couldve just given us all median grades.
First, you sound kind of like an ass

Second, don't assume that you're brighter than your classmates or that you should perform better just because you have good grades so far

girlrunning

New

Post by girlrunning » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:45 pm

If you just want to feel better for now before you meet with your prof: One of our Civ. Pro profs told me a story about having made a mistake inputting the grade (BINO: Prof had to match up essay with multiple choice and participation points via a short memo we did) of a student she considered "a strong performer in class." S/he had received a 2.3. When s/he he met with the professor, prof. quickly realized that she'd transposed the numbers. The student had a 3.2.

So, it's not unheard of, but don't get your hopes either.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”