AnBryce: The Definitive Collection Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
capricious

New

Re: AnBryce: The Definitive Collection

Post by capricious » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:30 pm

politics89 wrote:How transferable out of NYC do you think the AnBryce is? If I wanted to go somewhere other than NYC after graduation (Boston, DC) will people there know the AnBryce or will there be connections to help me?
NYU also has a DC clinic where you spend a semester working at an agency in DC. One AnBrycer worked for the Defense Dept. (correct me if I'm wrong) and another has worked for the FTC.
Last edited by capricious on Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

capricious

New

Post by capricious » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:34 pm

AnBryce_Hopeful wrote:Contingency query:

About what percentage of AnBryce finalists NOT selected for the scholarship ultimately still end up at NYU? And how would you describe their relationship with the chosen scholars?
AnBrycers tend to get great offers from several high ranking schools so my sense is that most who don't get the scholarship take good offers elsewhere. But those who do come even if they don't get the scholly still remain friends with those who did.

capricious

New

Post by capricious » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:38 pm

Also, I don't think AnBryce + Root is possible anymore. There was a big discussion about how the programs have different interests and aims.

capricious

New

Post by capricious » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:24 am

capricious wrote:Also, I don't think AnBryce + Root is possible anymore. There was a big discussion about how the programs have different interests and aims.
Happy to say I was wrong. You can get both.

AnBryce_Hopeful

New

Post by AnBryce_Hopeful » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:06 pm

Hey, all! Has anyone received a follow-up email with more detailed instructions about the interview process as of yet? I was told to expect this info to come soon after I accepted the invitation to interview, but I haven't heard anything -- so I guess I just want to make sure I'm not alone on pins and needles.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

politics89

Bronze

Post by politics89 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:08 pm

AnBryce_Hopeful wrote:Hey, all! Has anyone received a follow-up email with more detailed instructions about the interview process as of yet? I was told to expect this info to come soon after I accepted the invitation to interview, but I haven't heard anything -- so I guess I just want to make sure I'm not alone on pins and needles.
I haven't heard anything new either. It's not just you :)

paglababa

Silver

Post by paglababa » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:08 pm

politics89 wrote:
AnBryce_Hopeful wrote:Hey, all! Has anyone received a follow-up email with more detailed instructions about the interview process as of yet? I was told to expect this info to come soon after I accepted the invitation to interview, but I haven't heard anything -- so I guess I just want to make sure I'm not alone on pins and needles.
Same.

AnBryce_Hopeful

New

Post by AnBryce_Hopeful » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:11 pm

paglababa wrote:
politics89 wrote:
Same.
Phew.

jimraynor

New

Post by jimraynor » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:23 pm

No worries folks. More information will be coming at you shortly, I promise. Expect plenty of emails over the next couple weeks.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

arism87

Silver

Post by arism87 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:57 am

I just wanted to tag in as a 3L AnBrycer-- I hope to be helpful at some point and look forward to meeting everyone in New York! :D

I read through the thread and totally agree. I just wanna add a few things to what was asked/mentioned--

I think our clerkship rate probably tops HYS. I know at least 5 of our 2013 class are clerking (of I'm not sure how many, but can't be more than 10), and for awesome judges at that. That rate is higher than HYS (17.1%, 34.5%, and 24.1% respectively), though granted that's just one year. I'm clerking next year and happy to talk via PM about why I think that is.

As far as AB outside of NYC, I spent last fall semester at the FTC and was really happy to find that I was still part of the network there. The founders went out of their way to include us in great events they were a part of in the city and several alum are in the area as well. The program at this size is relatively new (10 years ago it was just a scholar per year), but the alumni network is growing very quickly and is strong!

vincanity1

Silver

Post by vincanity1 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:54 pm

Update: Expect panel assignments VERY soon (if you haven't already received them)

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Post by Nonconsecutive » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:49 pm

`
Last edited by Nonconsecutive on Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MissMiran

New

Post by MissMiran » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:10 am

The reception at NYU on April 10th has in past years been what I would describe as business casual. Women wore dresses/skirts or trousers and a nice blouse; men wore dress pants and shirts but not ties or jackets. Unless the information they've sent you says something different, I assume this year will be the same. After the reception, we current scholars will take you all out to hang out and do something fun, so wear something in which you'd both be comfortable enough to hobnob with impressive people who are making the scholarship decisions and comfortable enough to go out afterwards.

Dinner with current scholars is nothing formal at all, but it is usually in relatively nice restaurants so the above standard is the safe bet for that reason. The same can be said for lunch with professors or whatever similar event you may have. You might not have that; I'm not sure of the scheduling this year. But if you do, it's not formal but is still a place where you'd want to be business casual.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

vincanity1

Silver

Post by vincanity1 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:37 pm

Hey all, interviews aren't too far away now. All of you should have gotten an email from a current AnBryce student or alum by now. If you haven't, no worries. Just let me know and we'll make sure someone reaches out.

Also, I'll be a host for the DC panel this year. You should have received your panel assignment by now so feel free to reach out. Looking forward to meeting you guys.

paglababa

Silver

Post by paglababa » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:11 pm

Anyone hear about lodging yet or further details?

politics89

Bronze

Post by politics89 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:26 am

paglababa wrote:Anyone hear about lodging yet or further details?
I haven't heard anything since the email about who was on my panel. No hotel info.

vincanity1

Silver

Post by vincanity1 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:14 am

politics89 wrote:
I haven't heard anything since the email about who was on my panel. No hotel info.
For those in NY, you'll most likely be staying at the Downtown Marriot at 85 West St. For those of us in DC, we'll be at Hotel George

NY: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review ... _York.html

DC: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review ... umbia.html

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

paglababa

Silver

Post by paglababa » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:39 pm

politics89 wrote:
Just got the email. Woohoo so excited. Are we sharing hotel rooms, as has been the norm in the past?

AnBryce_Hopeful

New

Post by AnBryce_Hopeful » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:34 am

What's the protocol for the interview waiting room area -- are the folks scheduled to interview first expected to stick around until the other candidates are finished? Do the folks up last wait in a reception area until it's their turn? Seems like this could make for anxiety.

politics89

Bronze

Post by politics89 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:38 am

AnBryce_Hopeful wrote:What's the protocol for the interview waiting room area -- are the folks scheduled to interview first expected to stick around until the other candidates are finished? Do the folks up last wait in a reception area until it's their turn? Seems like this could make for anxiety.
I asked and they said we all had to stay while everyone interviewed. But they said I would have access to work email and such during that time.

bluesummer

New

Post by bluesummer » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:28 pm

Thanks everyone for your your insights and help! They have been most helpful and informative.

One question - do you know whether it is possible to defer for a year if chosen as a scholar?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

vincanity1

Silver

Post by vincanity1 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:45 pm

bluesummer wrote:Thanks everyone for your your insights and help! They have been most helpful and informative.

One question - do you know whether it is possible to defer for a year if chosen as a scholar?
I think that's decided on a case-by-case basis (not sure though). Deborah Malamud would be a good person to ask about that.

rkfl2004

New

Post by rkfl2004 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:51 pm

Hi!

Has anyone heard anything back yet? This wait is really killing me!

At least with the ROOT it was quick although not painless. :(

politics89

Bronze

Post by politics89 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:58 pm

rkfl2004 wrote:Hi!

Has anyone heard anything back yet? This wait is really killing me!

At least with the ROOT it was quick although not painless. :(
Nothing for me.

China Spy

Bronze

Post by China Spy » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:01 pm

politics89 wrote: Nothing for me.
+1 I guess they aren't making phone calls today?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”