AnBryce: The Definitive Collection

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
paglababa

Re: AnBryce: The Definitive Collection

Postby paglababa » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:04 pm

Are decisions based on the formal panel interview only? Or is it a combination of all of the events during the trip?

politics89

Postby politics89 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:06 pm

paglababa wrote:Are decisions based on the formal panel interview only? Or is it a combination of all of the events during the trip?

Adding to this, does your essay/GPA/LSAT also come back into play?

jimraynor

Postby jimraynor » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:13 pm

paglababa wrote:Are decisions based on the formal panel interview only? Or is it a combination of all of the events during the trip?

Just the formal interview.

Your essay will most likely be discussed during the interview. I can't speak to LSAT/GPA though I believe if you're a finalist you've at least largely passed any GPA/LSAT cutoffs.

DontShootFurbies

Postby DontShootFurbies » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:00 pm

MissMiran wrote:The only expenses you should have are traveling to and from the airport, and any meals or activities you decide to do that aren't officially with the group. And those are reimbursed through mailing in your receipts.

Actually, your travel to and from the airport is also reimbursed. :D I'll double check on everything that is reimbursed and get back to you all.

Edit: I just realized I misread your sentence. The airport travel and non-group meals are what get reimbursed by mail. My bad.
Last edited by DontShootFurbies on Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nonconsecutive

Postby Nonconsecutive » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:29 pm

DontShootFurbies wrote:
MissMiran wrote:The only expenses you should have are traveling to and from the airport, and any meals or activities you decide to do that aren't officially with the group. And those are reimbursed through mailing in your receipts.

Actually, your travel to and from the airport is also reimbursed. :D I'll double check on everything that is reimbursed and get back to you all.

Thanks! That would definitely be good to know. :)

DontShootFurbies

Postby DontShootFurbies » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:13 pm

Re: Reimbursements

You will be getting all of these details when you get assigned to your panels (likely late this week or early next week), but since questions have come up, here's the quick version:

"We will cover their airline and train tickets so those will not be out of pocket. We also pay for the hotel stay (again, not- an out-of-pocket cost). We will reimburse for shuttles and taxis to and from airports and train stations as well as planned and unplanned meals." (To the extent possible, the current scholars will accompany you for both planned and unplanned meals, but this is not a requirement for reimbursement.)

If you still have questions after you get your info packets, please feel free to reach out to either the current scholars on TLS, or to any of the contacts you're given through your official AnBryce communications.

Also, you'll get some lovely meals as part of ASW. NYU had the best food of all the ones I went to.

MissMiran

Postby MissMiran » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:20 pm

Just the formal interview, as someone else said earlier. Plus I want to make sure that you guys know that when you're hanging out with us current scholars, we aren't evaluating you or testing you or anything like that. We don't fill out any forms about you or talk to the panels about you, and the panels don't ask us what we thought of you when we talked to you or how you acted when we went out. So don't feel like the dinners with current scholars or the questions you ask other people during ASW are being judged. They aren't!

capricious

Postby capricious » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:33 pm

politics89 wrote:

Adding to this, does your essay/GPA/LSAT also come back into play?

Your essay will come into play insofar as it allows them to get to know you better. They'll have your full app, including transcripts and LSAT scores, but those factors aren't weighed as heavily as your perceived ability to manage law school and thrive within the program.

islandinthecity

Postby islandinthecity » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:39 pm

This is invaluable. Thank you!

AnBryce_Hopeful

Postby AnBryce_Hopeful » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:47 pm

islandinthecity wrote:This is invaluable. Thank you!

+1

GB166

Postby GB166 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:14 pm

Thank you for making this thread, it has been amazingly helpful.

My question is about federal clerkships, specifically SDNY/EDNY/2nd Circuit. Would you say AnBryce's placement is similar, better, or weaker than HYS? My ideal career path would be distirict court clerkship + COA clerkship (both of them ideally in NYC) + several years litigation, followed by (ideally) AUSA either with SDNY or EDNY.

capricious

Postby capricious » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:46 pm

I can't say whether AnBryce's placement is better than HYS, but it's very good. Those who support the AnBryce program have amazing connections and will help you get a clerkship, if that's what you want. We currently have AnBrycers at SDNY and EDNY.

NYU in general also has great connections at the USAO. We have two clinics that place you at EDNY and SDNY for a semester.
Last edited by capricious on Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GB_166

Postby GB_166 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:49 pm

capricious wrote:I can't say whether AnBryce's placement is better than HYS, but it's very good. Those who support the AnBryce program have amazing connections and will help you get a clerkship, if that's what you want.

NYU in general also has great connections at the USAO. We have two clinics that place you at EDNY and SDNY for a semester.

Thanks!

Nonconsecutive

Postby Nonconsecutive » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:26 pm

Since AnBryce seems to deal a lot with mentorship and connections, how heavily do your initial plans "lock" you into that path? Just as a hypothetical, lets say an applicant mentions in their essay that they want to work in PI and have a strong background to support that. However, during 1L (or later) they discover they love transactional work and completely change over to wanting Big Law. Would that be heavily frowned upon since you actually gained access to the program under a different pretense?

I know that might be a poor example, but I've always wondered this about programs where the students have close interaction with specific individuals and are sort of "guided," even outside of AnBryce.

politics89

Postby politics89 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:33 pm

How transferable out of NYC do you think the AnBryce is? If I wanted to go somewhere other than NYC after graduation (Boston, DC) will people there know the AnBryce or will there be connections to help me?

DontShootFurbies

Postby DontShootFurbies » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:44 pm

Nonconsecutive wrote:Since AnBryce seems to deal a lot with mentorship and connections, how heavily do your initial plans "lock" you into that path? Just as a hypothetical, lets say an applicant mentions in their essay that they want to work in PI and have a strong background to support that. However, during 1L (or later) they discover they love transactional work and completely change over to wanting Big Law. Would that be heavily frowned upon since you actually gained access to the program under a different pretense?

I know that might be a poor example, but I've always wondered this about programs where the students have close interaction with specific individuals and are sort of "guided," even outside of AnBryce.

Your initial plan doesn't lock you in at all. Plenty of people have changed their minds, and we're actually encouraged to try new things. AnBryce tries to help you in whatever your goals are, even if those goals change. You'll be exposed to a lot of completely new things once you get to law school; no one in the program would try to pigeonhole you before you ever step foot on campus.

Changes of heart are fine and, to an extent, expected (which is actually the reason I would have hesitated to take certain other scholarships at NYU, even though going in I felt completely dedicated to PI). That said, if you have a genuine passion for something, try not to lose it once you get here. I can't remember where it was said or by whom, but a quote that comes to mind is "the first thing many students lose in law school is the reason why they came."

Also, I'm not sure "guided" is the right word for what AnBryce does for you. You mostly tell people who care about you what you want to do, and they help you figure out how to make it happen (unless you're actively seeking guidance).

MissMiran

Postby MissMiran » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:52 pm

Nonconsecutive wrote:Since AnBryce seems to deal a lot with mentorship and connections, how heavily do your initial plans "lock" you into that path? Just as a hypothetical, lets say an applicant mentions in their essay that they want to work in PI and have a strong background to support that. However, during 1L (or later) they discover they love transactional work and completely change over to wanting Big Law. Would that be heavily frowned upon since you actually gained access to the program under a different pretense?

No, that's been more than fine, in my experience. I think that a lot of AnBrycers come in saying that they want to do PI but then end up doing firms, at least for a few years. Firms are really good jumping off points to get established and then do other things. AnBryce's ASAP program to get a summer firm job is open to everybody in 1L, and they encourage everyone to participate if they want to, with no one the wiser about what you said you wanted to do in your AnBryce interview. AnBryce's designated career counselor does a lot of work helping 1Ls tailor their (no doubt heavily weighted) PI resumes into something firms will be interested in. But there are also 1Ls who skip ASAP and instead get a Ford Fellowship, work at a public defender's office, etc., and people connected to the program will go out of their way to help you navigate the PI funding process and to find job placements, if that's what you decide to do. So there's no pressure either way!

The faculty members and other mentors I have met in the program have really encouraged me to explore as many options as I can and find out what will truly make me happy. If I have ever expressed any doubts at all about the path I'm on, I have been encouraged to explore more options and not lock myself in. I have changed my mind from PI to government to wanting to try out a firm this summer, and the long-suffering faculty advisor has supported me and given me great advice at every change in direction. Everyone truly cares about the scholars as individuals, not as products on an assembly line, and they want you to do your best in whatever you want to do, in my experience.

Having said that, there are obviously some programs, both at NYU and at other schools, that have a specific area. We're fortunate that AnBryce is a program about helping people overcome their backgrounds to become whatever they want to be, not a program to develop certain types of lawyers. The latter kind of program is fantastic for people who are certain about their paths (we actually have AnBrycers who are concurrently in some of those other programs), but AnBryce allows you to change your mind.

politics89 wrote:How transferable out of NYC do you think the AnBryce is? If I wanted to go somewhere other than NYC after graduation (Boston, DC) will people there know the AnBryce or will there be connections to help me?

There are definitely connections (including AnBryce alums) in other cities. In fact, we're having an event entitled "Leaving NY; A Presentation with the AnBryce Network" this Saturday. There are AnBrycers in several locations across the country that I know of: many in DC, some in California, South Carolina, Tennessee, Chicago, Philadelphia, etc. ASAP has at least one DC firm on the list, and someone in my class actually went there for the 1L summer.

Even if there aren't alums where you want to go, in my experience the people associated with the program will do whatever they can to help you. The program administrators are definitely trying to push the idea that one doesn't have to stay in NY.

By the way, DontShootFurbies, I have been giggling at your name whenever I read it. I never thought I'd giggle at anything I learned in Evidence.

DontShootFurbies

Postby DontShootFurbies » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:57 pm

MissMiran wrote:By the way, DontShootFurbies, I have been giggling at your name whenever I read it. I never thought I'd giggle at anything I learned in Evidence.

Easily my favorite case in law school. My new life goal is to get to cite it in real life.

MissMiran

Postby MissMiran » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:08 pm

DontShootFurbies wrote:
Easily my favorite case in law school. My new life goal is to get to cite it in real life.

How to tell if your husband is a psycho who will likely be in the criminal justice system in the future: He shoots an innocent Furby right in front of you for no reason.

How to decide which cases to prioritize and which not to take: What cases will you get to cite in your brief?

jk123

Postby jk123 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:24 pm

This is all fantastic - thanks guys! I'm looking forward to meeting you all in person!

paglababa

Postby paglababa » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:51 am

1. AnBryce covers full tuition right, not full COA like the Ruby/Darrow?

2. Do you know anyone with concurrent fellowships? I.e. AnBryce + Furman, AnBryce + Jacobson, AnBryce ______ . Wondering if it is possible, and if it is, I assume you just get full tuition from one of them / no stipend for living expenses. But the additional program benefits/ mentorship still would sound cool.

AnBryce_Hopeful

Postby AnBryce_Hopeful » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:59 pm

paglababa wrote:1. AnBryce covers full tuition right, not full COA like the Ruby/Darrow?

2. Do you know anyone with concurrent fellowships? I.e. AnBryce + Furman, AnBryce + Jacobson, AnBryce ______ . Wondering if it is possible, and if it is, I assume you just get full tuition from one of them / no stipend for living expenses. But the additional program benefits/ mentorship still would sound cool.

From the FAQ page (http://www.law.nyu.edu/jdscholarships/anbryce/faqs):

"•What is covered by the scholarship?
It is a full-tuition scholarship, the largest award provided by the Law School. Scholars can use loan funds to cover additional items such as required fees, health insurance and room and board expenses."

Can't wait to meet you, Julian. I once emailed your wife, believe it or not.

AnBryce_Hopeful

Postby AnBryce_Hopeful » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:02 pm

Contingency query:

About what percentage of AnBryce finalists NOT selected for the scholarship ultimately still end up at NYU? And how would you describe their relationship with the chosen scholars?

paglababa

Postby paglababa » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:19 pm

AnBryce_Hopeful wrote:
Can't wait to meet you, Julian. I once emailed your wife, believe it or not.

Lol I have to hear this story in person.

jimraynor

Postby jimraynor » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:32 pm

paglababa wrote:1. AnBryce covers full tuition right, not full COA like the Ruby/Darrow?

1. It's full tuition, yes. If you have an offer somewhere that's full COA first, congrats. Second, if you're still interested in AnBryce I'd reach out to some current scholars to determine if you think the programmatic benefits outweigh the cost of living expenses. I certainly think it would be a hard choice.

2. The most common concurrent scholarships are with the Root program. I do not know of any AB + Furman scholars, though I do know several AB + Roots. If you get both you'll be able to talk to the administration and work out funding lines, any obligations particular scholarships impose, etc.

AnBryce_Hopeful wrote:Contingency query:

About what percentage of AnBryce finalists NOT selected for the scholarship ultimately still end up at NYU? And how would you describe their relationship with the chosen scholars?

I don't know the percentage off the top of my head. Many AB finalists end up going to HYS, though there are certainly a number that select NYU. I'd say their relationship depends entirely on the person. Some interact with AB fairly often, others no more so than any other law student.

The AnBryce program has a really strong community, but that doesn't mean that those who did not receive an offer are ostracized. I think the finalists who do not receive an AB offer but attend NYU find a community within the law school which may or may not be the AB scholars. For example, I know a finalist who did not receive an offer who is heavily involved in the public interest / public defender community here. Another remains close friends with multiple ABers with whom they interviewed.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”