AnBryce: The Definitive Collection

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
Skool
Posts: 1039
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:26 pm

Re: AnBryce: The Definitive Collection

Postby Skool » Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:51 pm

lebongenre wrote:I'd love to hear more about the programmatic/career benefits of the scholarship, particularly the ASAP program.
Congrats on being a finalist! AB is a great opportunity for you personally and professionally, and we're excited for you. We're obviously also super psyched to meet you and get to know you.

I will leave the California specific portion to Tre to comment on. (East Coast/Best coast, etc.) But while we wait for him, I will comment on ASAP generally.

The ASAP process is pretty awesome. Basically, AB gets the top firms in the country to give interviews for 1L summer associate positions. There's a lot of hand holding and the program is constantly advocating for us throughout the process. This year everyone who wanted an offer got an offer (one person in the current 1L class opted out of the entire process because they aren't interested in the private sector). This summer, folks are working at Paul Weiss, Wachtell, Weil, Sidley, S&C, and Davis Polk, although there's a wider pool of interviewing firms than just these.

I think it's fair to say that the 1L ASAP process skews toward NYC, but Tre knows more about Cal. and AB than I do. My suspicion is that in targeting a place like Cal, the normal barriers to entry (grade cutoffs and ties) are going to be there; and I don't know how good the program is at removing those particular obstacles.

I will say, however, that there are certain faculty members who are very invested in the program and your success and you'll have an opportunity to develop meaningful relationships with them through the scholarship program. That includes Dean Morrison, the former Dean (Ricky Revesz, our current faculty advisor), and Troy McKenzie (former faculty adviser, on leave and being a deputy attorney general in Obama's Administration). There are also people in the Public Interest Office and Office of Career services who will take a special interest in your career simply because you're in the program. These sorts of things tend to happen when the Chair of the Law School's Board of Trustees starts your scholarship program and makes it a personal priority. In addition to that, our alumni are pretty engaged with the law school as a whole and AnBryce in particular. As a 1L I've been informally connected to a few opportunities/relationships that I never would have gotten without our alumni, including connections to federal judges I would be interested in clerking for down the line.

So, as a scholar, that's the foundation of your legal and mentoring professional network. And while I can't quite comment on the program's Cal. placement, I suspect that you'll have connections that the average T-14 law student won't and my intuition is that those connections can be helpful in a Cali job search, if not during 1L, then during 2L, 3L, and beyond.

I also apologize for the name-droppiness of all this.

User avatar
slippin_jimmy
Posts: 1957
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:15 pm

Re: AnBryce: The Definitive Collection

Postby slippin_jimmy » Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:55 pm

Checking in - I would love to hear similar about people aiming for the DC market and not necessarily a firm - I read on the semester in DC, placement at agencies, but curious to hear more about how summer employment after 1L shakes out.

Would also love to hear more about choosing between AnBryce and somewhere like HLS... if I'm lucky enough to even get that choice to make!

Feel free to PM, too :mrgreen: So excited, thanks for putting together and maintaining such a great resource!!!

jmj2254
Posts: 48
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:49 am

Re: AnBryce: The Definitive Collection

Postby jmj2254 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:57 pm

.
Last edited by jmj2254 on Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
misiaczek
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:09 pm

Re: AnBryce: The Definitive Collection

Postby misiaczek » Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:14 pm

Congrats to all the finalists! Skool hit all the big points about ASAP and how great the program is, but I know there were some questions on clerking and the DC market. I'll leave the California market for others.

As far as clerkships go, I'm not sure that the clerkship rate is any higher than normal. That is partially to do with self-selection (not everyone wants to clerk!) and also has to do with grades to a degree. There are definitely ABers who have clerkships and AB alumni who completed clerkships. Ricky Revesz (former dean) is always happy to write recommendations or make calls on behalf of ABers, and I've heard Deborah Malamud has as well. If you really want to clerk, everyone in AB will work hard to make sure you can get a clerkship. You'll have to do some work too (get good grades, make connections with professors) but AB can help you in the process of looking for, applying for, and interviewing for clerkships. Just as with almost any other aspect of law school life, AB gives you extra support.

As a 1L targeting the DC market, I can say that the Career Services point person for AB is very helpful for working on a plan to get you to DC your second summer. 1L summer, if you do ASAP, you will pretty much be limited to New York. There used to be a DC firm, but they dropped out after years of no one being interested in them (because prior ABers weren't targeting the DC market). But, working in a top NYC law firm for your 1L summer will only be helpful for trying to get to DC in the future. You'll get amazing experience in a firm that will be transferrable during EIW in the fall for your 2L summer. Some of the firms will even let you split your summer between NYC and DC (I know for sure Davis Polk and S&C do this, but there are probably others). Just let Career Services know early on that you are thinking of DC and they will work right away to find you connections and figure out the best path for you to get where you want to go. AB has connection in many cities, especially DC, and they will set you up for success.

User avatar
vincanity1
Posts: 544
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:40 pm

Re: AnBryce: The Definitive Collection

Postby vincanity1 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:05 pm

jmj2254 wrote:checking in also. Would love to hear thoughts on AB clerkship rates compared to HYS, S in particular.


Alum here-- gonna chime in every now and then because I can probably add a bit of institutional knowledge.

Congratulations to all the finalists, and to even to those who didn't make the finalist round. You guys all have stellar legal careers ahead of you. For the finalists: don't fret; the AB selection process is about fit. If were right for you and you for us, you'll find your way in.

AB clerkship rates are likely higher than HYS, or at least extremely competitive. Side note: one of AB's biggest faults is that it does a really bad job tracking alumni successes and reporting on them. Although admittedly not representative, the class of 2013 alone produced two 7th circuit clerks, two NY district (I forget if EDNY or SDNY) clerks, a Tennessee federal district court and later [whatever that circuit is] federal appellate clerk out of like maybe 8 people. The year after had two clerks for the chief of the DC district court (one of whom is doing DC circuit now) and one for SDNY, out of 7 people. All of those were great people and candidates, but a few definitely outperformed because of AB. I'd comfortably say that at least 75% of people who want a clerkship get one. But granted, there's a lot of self-selection in that. As for reasons why ABers do so well with clerkships, I'd give two reasons. The first, which is by far the most important in my opinion, is frankly that ABers have very unique backgrounds, are generally charismatic, and are probably very good interviewees as they made it through the selection process. Second is that you get easier access to recommenders.

P.S. Feel free to PM if you want to ask questions separately. Always happy to rant about AB by phone.

User avatar
lebongenre
Posts: 137
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:19 am

Re: AnBryce: The Definitive Collection

Postby lebongenre » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:31 am

.
Last edited by lebongenre on Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Justrandom222
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:32 am

Re: AnBryce: The Definitive Collection

Postby Justrandom222 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:39 am

Thank you for taking the time out to contribute to this thread. It is greatly appreciated. :) So at this point, is it safe to say that if we have not heard anything regarding an Anbryce interview that we have been denied? My application is actually still "under review." So I'm assuming being that I have not heard anything regarding Anbryce, I was not selected as a finalist and probably wait listed or denied at NYU. Is that safe to say?

Thank you in advance. :)

User avatar
lsatprepguy
Posts: 163
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:04 am

Re: AnBryce: The Definitive Collection

Postby lsatprepguy » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:14 am

Justrandom222 wrote:Thank you for taking the time out to contribute to this thread. It is greatly appreciated. :) So at this point, is it safe to say that if we have not heard anything regarding an Anbryce interview that we have been denied? My application is actually still "under review." So I'm assuming being that I have not heard anything regarding Anbryce, I was not selected as a finalist and probably wait listed or denied at NYU. Is that safe to say?

Thank you in advance. :)


Can't speak to whether all finalist invites have been sent out yet or not, but not receiving an AB finalist invite doesn't necessarily mean that your application to NYU is waitlist/denied - they are two separate reviews.

User avatar
Tr3
Posts: 620
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:25 am

Re: AnBryce: The Definitive Collection

Postby Tr3 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:04 pm

lsatprepguy wrote:
Justrandom222 wrote:Thank you for taking the time out to contribute to this thread. It is greatly appreciated. :) So at this point, is it safe to say that if we have not heard anything regarding an Anbryce interview that we have been denied? My application is actually still "under review." So I'm assuming being that I have not heard anything regarding Anbryce, I was not selected as a finalist and probably wait listed or denied at NYU. Is that safe to say?

Thank you in advance. :)


Can't speak to whether all finalist invites have been sent out yet or not, but not receiving an AB finalist invite doesn't necessarily mean that your application to NYU is waitlist/denied - they are two separate reviews.


I'm not sure if all interview invites have gone out, but I know that last year some people were notified later than others. So I would say you're not entirely rejected until you get an official ding. But as the poster above said, not getting an AB invite doesn't mean anything in regard to your general NYU application.

------

RE: California --> I'll post more about this when I get a chance.

User avatar
jemthey17
Posts: 979
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:54 am

Re: AnBryce: The Definitive Collection

Postby jemthey17 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:41 pm

slippin_jimmy wrote:Checking in - I would love to hear similar about people aiming for the DC market and not necessarily a firm - I read on the semester in DC, placement at agencies, but curious to hear more about how summer employment after 1L shakes out.

Would also love to hear more about choosing between AnBryce and somewhere like HLS... if I'm lucky enough to even get that choice to make!

Feel free to PM, too :mrgreen: So excited, thanks for putting together and maintaining such a great resource!!!


PM'd you!

User avatar
vincanity1
Posts: 544
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:40 pm

Re: AnBryce: The Definitive Collection

Postby vincanity1 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:00 pm

jemthey17 wrote:
slippin_jimmy wrote:Checking in - I would love to hear similar about people aiming for the DC market and not necessarily a firm - I read on the semester in DC, placement at agencies, but curious to hear more about how summer employment after 1L shakes out.

Would also love to hear more about choosing between AnBryce and somewhere like HLS... if I'm lucky enough to even get that choice to make!

Feel free to PM, too :mrgreen: So excited, thanks for putting together and maintaining such a great resource!!!


PM'd you!


Not sure if Jemthey is going to cover the DC or the Harvard issue. We've got a great alum who went the DC route and is killing it. He's not on TLS, but I can pass your (i.e., anyone's) email on to him if you PM it to me. And don't be shy--he is (and all of us are, really) happy to talk.

User avatar
jemthey17
Posts: 979
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:54 am

Re: AnBryce: The Definitive Collection

Postby jemthey17 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:14 pm

vincanity1 wrote:
jemthey17 wrote:
slippin_jimmy wrote:Checking in - I would love to hear similar about people aiming for the DC market and not necessarily a firm - I read on the semester in DC, placement at agencies, but curious to hear more about how summer employment after 1L shakes out.

Would also love to hear more about choosing between AnBryce and somewhere like HLS... if I'm lucky enough to even get that choice to make!

Feel free to PM, too :mrgreen: So excited, thanks for putting together and maintaining such a great resource!!!


PM'd you!


Not sure if Jemthey is going to cover the DC or the Harvard issue. We've got a great alum who went the DC route and is killing it. He's not on TLS, but I can pass your (i.e., anyone's) email on to him if you PM it to me. And don't be shy--he is (and all of us are, really) happy to talk.


Sorry, HLS issue.

User avatar
Tr3
Posts: 620
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:25 am

Re: AnBryce: The Definitive Collection

Postby Tr3 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:57 pm

lebongenre wrote:Hey all! Checking in as a 2016 finalist. This thread is awesome - thanks for taking questions.

Are there any firms in California that participate? Are there any California-bound scholars who can speak to the non-NYC networking opportunities available to ABers and at NYU more generally? I saw some comments earlier in the thread indicated that the AB program was particularly helpful in their private sector employment search, so I would appreciate California-oriented comments on this as well.

Sorry to harp on the CA market! Thanks again :D


As Skool said, our 1L recruitment program definitely skews toward NYC. Many AnBrycers have participated in our 1L program (ASAP) and worked in NYC after 1L and then were able to land jobs in their preferred non-NYC market across the country for 2L. I don't know of any recent ABers that went to CA, but I do know that there are some AB alumni in CA firms. So while ASAP doesn't usually include CA firms (this could potentially change, just not sure that it will), it does seem that ASAP indirectly helps by making students more competitive during 2L interviewing because they had a 1L summer associate position that was acquired by participating in ASAP. There's also at least 1 ASAP firm that allows 1Ls to split between NY and CA, but I wouldn't count on that being a solid bet just considering there are many factors that go into receiving an offer from a particular firm. There is a large-ish group of current scholars that plan to work in CA after graduation and we have made it very clear to AB administrators that we intend to work in CA, so hopefully that will help make more CA momentum for next year's ASAP.

For NYU general support of CA, I think you should meet with the career services office when you attend ASW/AB interviews. CA is the second most frequented market that alumni go to after NYC; however, it's still a relatively small percentage of people (I think like 8-10%). However, this could be a product of NYU students self-selecting into the NYC market rather than CA. I've heard that CA firms like getting associates from non-CA law schools to improve diversity among associates, but still, most CA associates come from CA law schools. All the major CA law firms attend NYU's general 2L recruitment program (EIW/Early Interview Week). As at any school, I think to get to a CA firm, the best bet is to have good grades and possibly even ties to CA (but many people have told me that receiving AB scholarship is a reason CA firms would find understandable if ever anyone wonders why I didn't attend law school in CA despite not having ties there).

Lastly, I know you were interested mainly in private sector, but a current 1L ABer had no problems finding PI work in California. In fact, that person received at least one offer from a pretty awesome PI position out there.

So in the end, AB isn't a direct pipeline to CA, but I think it can still help indirectly. I would definitely weigh this concern in your decision making process, but I'd warn against making your decision solely based on this until you attend AB interviews and get a better sense of what AB is about. It's definitely a unique opportunity with benefits that are not offered by any other law school program (at least not that I'm aware of...). PM if you'd like ot talk more, and of course, we can chat when you're here for interviews! (same goes to any other finalist).

User avatar
lebongenre
Posts: 137
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:19 am

Re: AnBryce: The Definitive Collection

Postby lebongenre » Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:10 pm

.
Last edited by lebongenre on Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
vincanity1
Posts: 544
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:40 pm

Re: AnBryce: The Definitive Collection

Postby vincanity1 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:52 pm


User avatar
vincanity1
Posts: 544
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:40 pm

Re: AnBryce: The Definitive Collection

Postby vincanity1 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:03 am


User avatar
Oskosh
Posts: 1028
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:18 pm

Re: AnBryce: The Definitive Collection

Postby Oskosh » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:56 am

So what ended up happening with the DC panel? Is that taking place tomorrow? Does that mean we will hear back early next week?

User avatar
Tr3
Posts: 620
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:25 am

Re: AnBryce: The Definitive Collection

Postby Tr3 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:28 am

Oskosh wrote:So what ended up happening with the DC panel? Is that taking place tomorrow? Does that mean we will hear back early next week?


The panel was today (Wednesday). All interviews are done. Notifications should go out soon. Last year it only took two days for offers to go out after all interviews were done and the notifications went out on a Saturday, so I'd guess they go out by the end of this week or possibly on Saturday.

agarc3466
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:22 am

Re: AnBryce: The Definitive Collection

Postby agarc3466 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:41 pm

Have all of the calls already gone out for this year?

User avatar
misiaczek
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:09 pm

Re: AnBryce: The Definitive Collection

Postby misiaczek » Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:49 pm

To our knowledge, the initial round of calls have gone out. Those who received an offer have until Tuesday (I believe) to decide. If not all spots have been filled, the committee may extend new offers.

isjd
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:27 am

Re: AnBryce: The Definitive Collection

Postby isjd » Wed May 25, 2016 12:19 pm

Do any of the alumna have any insight on how the selection committee would view an untraditional student?

I am the first of my family to achieve any sort of financial stability and have therefore been out of school 8 years- possibly 9 by the time I apply because I've needed to support my Mom. She will be able to retire to a low cost of living country soon (Thank goodness for the Dominican exchange rate) so I am finally free to pursue my own means again. I just wonder if that will be seen as a feature (I'm sure much will depend on how I frame it) or as a bug since maybe I'll have a decade less than everyone else to benefit from the program.

silverdoe91
Posts: 174
Joined: Tue May 03, 2016 5:33 pm

Re: AnBryce: The Definitive Collection

Postby silverdoe91 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:39 pm

What are the LSAT scores that anbryce recipients typically have? Do I have a chance with a 167?

User avatar
Anastasia Dee Dualla
Posts: 1174
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:03 am

Re: AnBryce: The Definitive Collection

Postby Anastasia Dee Dualla » Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:24 pm

silverdoe91 wrote:What are the LSAT scores that anbryce recipients typically have? Do I have a chance with a 167?


AnBryce folks would have no way of knowing this as we only know our own scores. The concern here is just getting into NYU to be considered for AB. You need a score which will get you accepted to NYU. I note that this may be why people have not responded to any of your posts regarding this.

User avatar
Tr3
Posts: 620
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:25 am

Re: AnBryce: The Definitive Collection

Postby Tr3 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:58 am

Anastasia Dee Dualla wrote:
silverdoe91 wrote:What are the LSAT scores that anbryce recipients typically have? Do I have a chance with a 167?


AnBryce folks would have no way of knowing this as we only know our own scores. The concern here is just getting into NYU to be considered for AB. You need a score which will get you accepted to NYU. I note that this may be why people have not responded to any of your posts regarding this.


I mean...

It's true; the most relevant LSAT score is the one that will admit you to NYU. Once you get into NYU, you're a candidate for AB. There are ABers with sub 25 LSATs all the way up to 180. After you get into NYU, AB looks at criteria outside of numbers.

silverdoe91
Posts: 174
Joined: Tue May 03, 2016 5:33 pm

Re: AnBryce: The Definitive Collection

Postby silverdoe91 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:27 pm

Tr3 wrote:
Anastasia Dee Dualla wrote:
silverdoe91 wrote:What are the LSAT scores that anbryce recipients typically have? Do I have a chance with a 167?


AnBryce folks would have no way of knowing this as we only know our own scores. The concern here is just getting into NYU to be considered for AB. You need a score which will get you accepted to NYU. I note that this may be why people have not responded to any of your posts regarding this.


I mean...

It's true; the most relevant LSAT score is the one that will admit you to NYU. Once you get into NYU, you're a candidate for AB. There are ABers with sub 25 LSATs all the way up to 180. After you get into NYU, AB looks at criteria outside of numbers.


Ok, so since I have a score that's in between the 25th and 50th percentile that means I have a shot right?




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests