AnBryce: The Definitive Collection Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
theothercat

Bronze

Re: AnBryce: The Definitive Collection

Post by theothercat » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:30 pm

I have a question about interview groups:

Are there reasons behind why someone would be put in the NYC group vs. the DC group, and vice versa? Or is it just random/more geared toward scheduling issues?

Edit: also, thank you very much to everyone who has contributed to this thread and for continuing to take questions.

20171lhopeful

Bronze

Post by 20171lhopeful » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:36 pm

theothercat wrote:I have a question about interview groups:

Are there reasons behind why someone would be put in the NYC group vs. the DC group, and vice versa? Or is it just random/more geared toward scheduling issues?

Edit: also, thank you very much to everyone who has contributed to this thread and for continuing to take questions.
+1

tlee13

New

Post by tlee13 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:41 pm

20171lhopeful wrote:

+1
+1000

I'm in such a strange position with this because a huge portion of my personal statement/AB essay revolved around the fact that I'm gay and--while I'm not doubting his ability to be objective--the thought of having Clarence Thomas on my panel is a little less than appealing...

misiaczek

New

Post by misiaczek » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:49 pm

No reason behind it! It's sometimes based on logistics (like where someone lives), but it's also random to a degree. There are scholars from every panel, so don't worry that being on one panel vs. another affects your chances at all.

misiaczek

New

Post by misiaczek » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:51 pm

tlee13 wrote:
20171lhopeful wrote:

+1
+1000

I'm in such a strange position with this because a huge portion of my personal statement/AB essay revolved around the fact that I'm gay and--while I'm not doubting his ability to be objective--the thought of having Clarence Thomas on my panel is a little less than appealing...
Don't worry about this at all! I was on the DC panel my year and all of us had the same fears, but it's not an issue at all. Justice Thomas cares deeply about the program and all finalists and scholars.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

20171lhopeful

Bronze

Post by 20171lhopeful » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:53 pm

how quickly after the interviews will decisions be made?

if you get placed in DC, are you expected to attend the reception in NYC and the interview in DC or just the interview in DC?

windber37

New

Post by windber37 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:41 pm

What benefits does AnBryce provide for those looking to pursue careers in the government/DOJ? I'm not totally opposed to going down the firm route right after law school, but my ultimate career aims are in the public sector. Thanks!

Tr3

Silver

Post by Tr3 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:38 pm

20171lhopeful wrote:how quickly after the interviews will decisions be made?

if you get placed in DC, are you expected to attend the reception in NYC and the interview in DC or just the interview in DC?
Usually within a few days, but exact time sometimes varies year to year.

misiaczek

New

Post by misiaczek » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:43 pm

windber37 wrote:What benefits does AnBryce provide for those looking to pursue careers in the government/DOJ? I'm not totally opposed to going down the firm route right after law school, but my ultimate career aims are in the public sector. Thanks!
There are a few ABers in government positions! The program itself has quite a few connections to government, and if it's something you're interested in they will help you get there. The personal connections are what really helps with government positions, so the AB connection there is pretty invaluable. General advice even outside of government is that if you have a particular interest in a legal job, let AB know early on and they will work to help you get there one way or another. They'll place you on calls with current attorneys for advice, they'll help you figure out the best classes to take, and they help you navigate the application process.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

anotherthrowaway

New

Post by anotherthrowaway » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:14 pm

20171lhopeful wrote:if you get placed in DC, are you expected to attend the reception in NYC and the interview in DC or just the interview in DC?
Attend all the events, both in DC and NYC. For all finalists there will be events specific to your panel, events for all AB finalists, and events for admitted students generally. I think it's best to attend all if possible.

tlee13

New

Post by tlee13 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:13 pm

Any estimates on when panel assignments will come out? I know they probably haven't finished with invites yet but I'm anxious to make arrangements to be out of work/school.

theothercat

Bronze

Post by theothercat » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:15 pm

Just found out I'm in the New York group! Ahhhh!

TexasENG

Silver

Post by TexasENG » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:39 pm

theothercat wrote:Just found out I'm in the New York group! Ahhhh!
Same! Excited to meet everyone! Its been a while since I've been in NYC, I'm super glad they are setting up accommodations, I always seem to book the farthest point away from where I want to be when I'm in the city.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

theothercat

Bronze

Post by theothercat » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:40 pm

TexasENG wrote:
Same! Excited to meet everyone! Its been a while since I've been in NYC, I'm super glad they are setting up accommodations, I always seem to book the farthest point away from where I want to be when I'm in the city.
Yay! Are you planning to go to all the events?

TexasENG

Silver

Post by TexasENG » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:42 pm

theothercat wrote:
TexasENG wrote:
Yep! You?

theothercat

Bronze

Post by theothercat » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:44 pm

TexasENG wrote:
theothercat wrote:
TexasENG wrote:
Yep! You?
Yeah, I think so! It's interesting that we have to check out of our hotel by 11:00am on the 31st, but the last event doesn't end until 9:00pm. I imagine they'd have a place for us to keep our stuff?

TexasENG

Silver

Post by TexasENG » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:46 pm

theothercat wrote:
TexasENG wrote:
theothercat wrote:
TexasENG wrote:
Yep! You?
Yeah, I think so! It's interesting that we have to check out of our hotel by 11:00am on the 31st, but the last event doesn't end until 9:00pm. I imagine they'd have a place for us to keep our stuff?
I think a lot of times hotels will hold your luggage if you aren't leaving right away. I'm sure they have something worked out though.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

theothercat

Bronze

Post by theothercat » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:47 pm

TexasENG wrote:
theothercat wrote:
TexasENG wrote:
theothercat wrote:
TexasENG wrote:
Yep! You?
I think a lot of times hotels will hold your luggage if you aren't leaving right away. I'm sure they have something worked out though.
Good to know! I am not well traveled, haha.

hammy393

Bronze

Post by hammy393 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:50 pm

Same! Interview on Thurs, March 30

TexasENG

Silver

Post by TexasENG » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:52 pm

theothercat wrote:
I actually won't be able to make the LACA event, I think all the late flights back to my place will leave somewhere around 6-8 PM.

hammy393

Bronze

Post by hammy393 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:54 pm

TexasENG wrote:
theothercat wrote:
I actually won't be able to make the LACA event, I think all the late flights back to my place will leave somewhere around 6-8 PM.
Do we have to fly back Friday night?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

theothercat

Bronze

Post by theothercat » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:59 pm

hammy393 wrote:
TexasENG wrote:
theothercat wrote:
The e-mail says that check-out is the morning of March 31st, so I assume so.

TexasENG

Silver

Post by TexasENG » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:00 pm

hammy393 wrote:
TexasENG wrote:
theothercat wrote:
It looks like they are only paying for Wednesday / Thursday night. The info I received said: (please note the hotel reservation made in your name checks-out Friday, March 31 at 11:00 a.m.).

theothercat

Bronze

Post by theothercat » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:02 pm

TexasENG wrote:
theothercat wrote:
Yeah, I was kind of wondering about that. I might just ask and see what Tracee's thoughts are on that. I signed up for it, but I suppose we'll see what kind of accommodations they would make for that.

hammy393

Bronze

Post by hammy393 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:07 pm

theothercat wrote:
hammy393 wrote:
TexasENG wrote:
theothercat wrote:
The e-mail says that check-out is the morning of March 31st, so I assume so.
But what if we can stay that night in NYC w/ a friend/relative?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”