Conundrum, take a new job or go to law school? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
luuma

Bronze

Conundrum, take a new job or go to law school?

Post by luuma » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:46 am

I currently work in a big law/top firm as an admin assistant. Sometimes if I really work hard I get first year's work. However, it's generally not very challenging. A lot of picking personal assistant work, mixed with legal admin work.

Currently I'm waiting out on LS responses. So far I'm in at: American, Wash U, and W&L ($$). And I have 18 more applications I'm waiting to hear from. I sent my apps in Jan 15, so I'm realistically waiting for actual responses in March or April.

The big decision I have to make is that I've been offered a job (in house paralegal, with more international law exposure at a big financial company) with a 50% salary raise (for someone with a lot of undergrad debt.. wanting to save up more money.. this is like... fighting a siren's beautiful call for salvation). However, if I do get into a school I can see myself going to, I would have to quit in 5-6 months and I would lose longevity on my resume at my current top 50 firm.

I am really torn.

I even pondered maybe working part time while I went to school, but I've been warned against not fully commiting myself to LS 100% the first year.

Please advise.. *Greatly* appreciate it!

gdane

Diamond

Re: Conundrum, take a new job or go to law school?

Post by gdane » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:10 pm

Take the job, save up money,and enjoy yourself. Law school will still be around five, ten years from now.

luuma

Bronze

Post by luuma » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:14 pm

gdane wrote:Take the job, save up money,and enjoy yourself. Law school will still be around five, ten years from now.
30 year old law school graduate? :oops:

smaug_

Gold

Post by smaug_ » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:17 pm

Take the job. None of the schools you're in at would be a huge get, so you're not missing out on much by passing up law school. And it would be fine to be 30 at graduation.
Last edited by smaug_ on Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:17 pm

Yes. There are plenty of those. I'll be 28. No big deal.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

PepperJack

Silver

Post by PepperJack » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:23 pm

Don't underestimate the power of personal connections. Working for the firm won't make too much of a difference in getting hired for the firm, but having a personal friendship with an attorney might. It's much harder to make this sort of connection when it is obvious you want a job. If it's between you and someone else, this is the sort of thing that could tip the scale in your favor.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:26 pm

Accept the job offer. If still interested in law school in a few years, then aim higher as your current law school options seem financially crippling.

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Don't underestimate the power of personal connections. Working for the firm won't make too much of a difference in getting hired for the firm, but having a personal friendship with an attorney might. It's much harder to make this sort of connection when it is obvious you want a job. If it's between you and someone else, this is the sort of thing that could tip the scale in your favor.
Why is this anonymous?

luuma

Bronze

Post by luuma » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:33 pm

I also want to note that I've been working here for 1 year and 7 months. I'm completely certain that I want to go to law school, and I really had to convince myself to wait 2 years back in 2012. I could wait one more year, but if I get into a top school, I'd be quitting in August... :|

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:40 pm

Why do you want to go to law school? What do you want to do with a law degree? Where do you want to practice?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:46 pm

gdane wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Don't underestimate the power of personal connections. Working for the firm won't make too much of a difference in getting hired for the firm, but having a personal friendship with an attorney might. It's much harder to make this sort of connection when it is obvious you want a job. If it's between you and someone else, this is the sort of thing that could tip the scale in your favor.
Why is this anonymous?
This is an excellent question. Anon is to be used only if you're revealing sensitive information about a firm/other legal employer/job/yourself. It was anon in the legal employment forum, but I've moved this to the proper forum, Ask a Law Student/Graduate, so now it's not (it shouldn't have been then).

OP, 0Ls are not allowed to post in the legal employment forum.

luuma

Bronze

Post by luuma » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:47 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
gdane wrote:
Why is this anonymous?
This is an excellent question. Anon is to be used only if you're revealing sensitive information about a firm/other legal employer/job/yourself. It was anon in the legal employment forum, but I've moved this to the proper forum, Ask a Law Student/Graduate, so now it's not.

OP, 0Ls are not allowed to post in the legal employment forum.
My apologies.

californiauser

Silver

Post by californiauser » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:45 pm

I wouldn't leave that job for anything but a large scholarship at a T14. I'm in a similar situation OP.

luuma

Bronze

Post by luuma » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:45 pm

Sent you a PM, californiauser.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”