Why you shouldn't go to law school Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
NYstate

Gold

Re: Why you shouldn't go to law school

Post by NYstate » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:51 am

patogordo wrote:lol @ 120k debt. sticker at Harvard is closer to 300 with interest
Yes, his savings from his two years of work before law school went into this enterprise.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:08 am

patogordo wrote:lol @ 120k debt. sticker at Harvard is closer to 300 with interest
No one takes out 300k in debt at Harvard. If you're poor enough to have to borrow, you'll get need based aid.

haus

Gold

Post by haus » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:02 am

sublime wrote:
sparty99 wrote:
sublime wrote:
sparty99 wrote:Oh, boo hoo. You graduated from Harvard and got a job paying $160,000 and you can't take it. Bitch, please. You worked in management consulting. What were you expecting? You have the job that most law students dream of. You make 3x the average American worker. You are the reason why people should go to law school. If you want to quit, quit. But you are in the gig that we all want.

That's the point. Is the "prize" worth it in most circumstances?
Yes it is.

I understand that is your position, but that is the underlying question that OP was positing.
Isn't this a function of the market? If enough people feel that it is not worth it, then the going wages for positions like these would go up until there is enough people (maybe not this specific person, but someone) decides that it is worth it to put themselves through the stupidity/discomfort/pain of the job.

It seems that the wage structure has been static for a number of years now, which would lead me to believe that for the last few years it is worth it for enough people to meet the demand, but who knows what the future may bring.

ElliotNessquire

New

Post by ElliotNessquire » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:58 am

0P --

There are firms here in Kansas that would pay an associate with a jd from harvard $110k+ out of school if you have any interest in that - feel free to PM me! You'd still be expected to bill 2,500+ hours, but probably much more low key

echooo23

Bronze

Post by echooo23 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:44 pm

ElliotNessquire wrote:0P --

There are firms here in Kansas that would pay an associate with a jd from harvard $110k+ out of school if you have any interest in that - feel free to PM me! You'd still be expected to bill 2,500+ hours, but probably much more low key
Is this for real? Why would anyone take a $50,000 pay cut to work the same (or more) hours? Even if the COL is lower, it's not $50,000 lower, as OP said he lives frugally with several roommates.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:46 pm

echooo23

Bronze

Post by echooo23 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:49 pm

sublime wrote:
echooo23 wrote:

Is this for real? Why would anyone take a $50,000 pay cut to work the same (or more) hours? Even if the COL is lower, it's not $50,000 lower, as OP said he lives frugally with several roommates.
Idk. In a nearby secondary (StL), the biglaw firms I have looked at have a starting billables req. of 1800-1900.
That's my understanding too. Which is why I'm wondering if it's serious. 2500 hours for $110,000?!

LRGhost

Gold

Post by LRGhost » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:52 pm

sparty99 wrote:
sublime wrote:
sparty99 wrote:Oh, boo hoo. You graduated from Harvard and got a job paying $160,000 and you can't take it. Bitch, please. You worked in management consulting. What were you expecting? You have the job that most law students dream of. You make 3x the average American worker. You are the reason why people should go to law school. If you want to quit, quit. But you are in the gig that we all want.

Yes it is.
I would tell you to kill yourself but you'll take care of that on your own.

User has been banned for this post.

Cogburn87

Bronze

Post by Cogburn87 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:45 pm

PepperJack wrote:Some people are willing to endure far more to make 200k+ a year. That type of money buys protection for you and people you love. Your spouse, children and you can go to the doctor when you want to go to the doctor. You can go to the supermarket, and know that you guys can have meat/fish whenever you want. If your kid ever needs help with a school subject, instead of just saying "let biology play out and they'll fail", you can get a tutor. These are privileges most people don't have. Some people would be willing to kill to be able to provide this to the people they love. You get this, and don't realize how lucky you are. The ones who are in bad shape are the ones who have creditors calling every day, no prospects, etc.
Yeah, OP.

If you believe you are about to be overwhelmed by the alienation and psychological brutality of Biglaw, just quietly remind yourself that you can have fish whenever you want. That should help you soldier on.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:24 am

Cogburn87 wrote:
PepperJack wrote:Some people are willing to endure far more to make 200k+ a year. That type of money buys protection for you and people you love. Your spouse, children and you can go to the doctor when you want to go to the doctor. You can go to the supermarket, and know that you guys can have meat/fish whenever you want. If your kid ever needs help with a school subject, instead of just saying "let biology play out and they'll fail", you can get a tutor. These are privileges most people don't have. Some people would be willing to kill to be able to provide this to the people they love. You get this, and don't realize how lucky you are. The ones who are in bad shape are the ones who have creditors calling every day, no prospects, etc.
Yeah, OP.

If you believe you are about to be overwhelmed by the alienation and psychological brutality of Biglaw, just quietly remind yourself that you can have fish whenever you want. That should help you soldier on.
Spoken like someone who has never tried the sesame teriyaki mahi from Whole Foods.

ElliotNessquire

New

Post by ElliotNessquire » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:16 pm

sublime wrote:
echooo23 wrote:

Idk. In a nearby secondary (StL), the biglaw firms I have looked at have a starting billables req. of 1800-1900.

I should have clarified. Firms would want to work an associate up to that 2,500 figure probably by year 3.

JusticeJackson

Silver

Post by JusticeJackson » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:01 pm

Last edited by JusticeJackson on Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ElliotNessquire

New

Post by ElliotNessquire » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:24 pm

Not to get off topic, but I don't think you're correct here. I considered moving to firms in Kansas and also to Kansas City, and their whole sell to me was that, unlike biglaw, they only required 1800-1900 billables for their attorneys. I interviewed with the biggest firms in Kansas and Kansas City. I searched your posts, and it looks like you haven't started law school yet. Are you sure your 2500 hour mark is right?[/quote]

I would hate to give bad info, but that's exactly what a good friend of mine who is at the second largest firm in Wichita told me. I haven't known him to exaggerate but maybe he is here.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Dr. Filth

Silver

Post by Dr. Filth » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:56 pm

LRGhost wrote:
sparty99 wrote:
sublime wrote:

Yes it is.
I would tell you to kill yourself but you'll take care of that on your own.

User has been banned for this post.
would this be ok with the word probably in front of you'll ?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:04 pm

No. There are plenty of good ways to respond to posts you think are crappy that don't involve the words "kill self."

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:24 pm

ElliotNessquire wrote:I would hate to give bad info, but that's exactly what a good friend of mine who is at the second largest firm in Wichita told me. I haven't known him to exaggerate but maybe he is here.
It seems likely that your friend is exaggerating. Or that he chose the wrong firm. In either case, this is bad info.

luuma

Bronze

Post by luuma » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:56 am

NeedAnExit wrote:
Considering my school, grades, and firm, most people would characterize me as having "won" the law school game. But if winning has the potential to make you this miserable, why bother?
Thank you so much for your candid and heartfelt advice to others. I really appreciate this sort of honesty. I currently work in one of the big law firms known for having crappy cutthroat vibes, and I felt this way (AS AN ASSISTANT, so I can only imagine as an attorney) for months. I slowly garnered a helmet-like mentality and began to let the little things bounce off, started understanding the dry corporate humor, and even developed zombie auto pilot response to particular situations. Every now and then a Partner or supervisor will call me down to "talk". My heart will race, I'll sweat, I'll think of all the ways I could have messed up, and I cause myself an ulcer as I walk over. I've become so desensitized to the hierarchical pressure that I either come out of the meetings so angry I could cry or feeling like a million bucks because I walked away unscratched... It's always an extreme, and rather than think of ways to fight back or get out I have accepted this.

BUT, I think because I've had some exposure to this world and grown a thicker skin, it might not hit me as such a shocker when I join the field. Can you tell me a little about your work experience prior to law school (and during the summers)?

Thanks!
Last edited by luuma on Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

luuma

Bronze

Post by luuma » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:57 am

kalvano wrote:Paying off $30K in debt in less than a year. What a tough life.
I gotta admit, when I read this I thought "damn... this just solidified all my reasons to go to law school and do big law"

patogordo

Gold

Post by patogordo » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:59 am

luuma wrote:
I gotta admit, when I read this I thought "damn... this just solidified all my reasons to go to law school and do big law"
you could pay off $250k of debt instantly by not going to law school

luuma

Bronze

Post by luuma » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:10 pm

patogordo wrote:
luuma wrote:

I was being half serious.. OK 3/4th serious about that statement.

LRGhost

Gold

Post by LRGhost » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:55 pm

luuma wrote:
Dude, that should have the exact opposite effect on you.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 84651846190 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:23 pm

luuma wrote:
patogordo wrote:
luuma wrote:

I was being half serious.. OK 3/4th serious about that statement.
His SO is paying off his loans. I don't understand why that would give you any confidence that you'll be able to pay yours off. There are a lot better ways to waste someone else's money than going to fucking law school. Start a Quiznos franchise or something.

EijiMiyake

Bronze

Post by EijiMiyake » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:07 am

Some of my partners went to an out of town conference this weekend. I've had a few 250-hour months and have been walking around like a zombie. 3 of them sent me emails this morning before they left to the effect of "I know you're busy, we need to make X a priority. Send me something tonight." Avoid this shit at all costs.

charlie.black

Bronze

Post by charlie.black » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:45 am

cinephile wrote:
No one takes out 300k in debt at Harvard. If you're poor enough to have to borrow, you'll get need based aid.
False. If you have parents who disqualify you for aid, but who aren't contributing, big loans are the only option.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:20 pm

charlie.black wrote:
cinephile wrote:
False. If you have parents who disqualify you for aid, but who aren't contributing, big loans are the only option.
Thanks for contributing misinformation, that's super-helpful.

You realize law students are older than undergrads, right? By this point, the expected family contribution of anyone 25 or older doesn't include your parents' income.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”