Excluding GPA from Resume Post-Clerkship Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
EtherOne

New

Excluding GPA from Resume Post-Clerkship

Post by EtherOne » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:26 am

Hi all,

So I graduated from T-14 and now am working as a clerk which I am very grateful for. It's a two year clerkship (federal) and I will be applying for jobs in about a year or so.

The thing is, I don't have a very good GPA, and was wondering whether it was OK to exclude my GPA from my resume, and that way, my school's reputation and clerkship position would do most of the work and employers would not focus too much on the GPA.

When is it OK to exclude a GPA from resume post law school? Do you think I should?

badaboom61

Bronze

Re: Excluding GPA from Resume Post-Clerkship

Post by badaboom61 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:33 am

My school does not allow students to list their GPA on their resume, so unless your school specifically requires you to list it (I don't think they can even do this), you should be fine to take it off. That's probably a good idea.

EtherOne

New

Post by EtherOne » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:39 am

You mean the school doesn't allow students to list GPA during 2L OCI?

EtherOne

New

Post by EtherOne » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:41 am

Or also post-graduation?

UnderrateOverachieve

Bronze

Post by UnderrateOverachieve » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:51 am

If it is above 3.0 I say include it. The clerkship is going to do the talking for you. If the firm really cares about your grades they are going to ask for them anyway. If I saw someone with a 3.0 but a prestigious clerkship I would assume they must be really high quality but maybe just had difficulties with weird law school prompts.

Anyone else have some advice with more credibility? I am interested in hearing a good answer.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

EtherOne

New

Post by EtherOne » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:00 am

Thank you for your post. I will probably end up attaching transcript to application email but it doesn't have the GPA listed.

EtherOne

New

Post by EtherOne » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:13 am

Any other thoughts?

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:50 am

Put GPA if it's over 3.0

Lord Randolph McDuff

Gold

Post by Lord Randolph McDuff » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:29 pm

Similar question. My resume obviously lists my undergrad and graduate education. I was/am a shit student both times around, but due to rampant grade inflation at CU Law my GPA is a 3.31. They don't release the median, only rank top 1/3, but I'm positive this is actually a below median GPA.

So, do I put my law school GPA on the resume and awkwardly leave off my undergrad GPA? It was a 2.7….

Right now I leave both of the GPAs off the resume. I kinda prefer it that way. My own small way of sticking it to the man. But I don't want to continue doing this if this is a really dumb idea.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”