Penn Law 3L AMA

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Pierced

Penn Law 3L AMA

Postby Pierced » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:45 pm

Hi, I'm a Penn Law 3L. I have an offer to go into a corporate law firm in NYC. I'm also the co-founder of the startup ADMITSEE.

Ask me anything!

ph14

Re: Penn Law 3L AMA

Postby ph14 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:48 pm

Pierced wrote:Hi, I'm a Penn Law 3L. I have an offer to go into a corporate law firm in NYC. I'm also the co-founder of the startup ADMITSEE.

Ask me anything!

Interesting start up. Have you have any success so far in getting users to sign up and users to pay to view content?

doing_it_in_a_car

Postby doing_it_in_a_car » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:26 pm

Thanks for doing this! Incoming Penn 0L here.

Penn's 2012 LST stats look solid, but I'm concerned because from this thread, it seems a lot of people struck out at OCI this year. viewtopic.php?f=23&t=213198&start=950

How is your class doing - did everyone come out with something decent?

How did your class do in Philly biglaw? Did everyone with decent grades and strong ties who wanted Philly get it?

Finally, how safe is median for NYC biglaw?

Pierced

Postby Pierced » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:10 pm

ph14 wrote:
Pierced wrote:Hi, I'm a Penn Law 3L. I have an offer to go into a corporate law firm in NYC. I'm also the co-founder of the startup ADMITSEE.

Ask me anything!

Interesting start up. Have you have any success so far in getting users to sign up and users to pay to view content?

We've had over 1,000 people upload their application details and personal statements... wide variety of undergrad + a bunch of people from Penn Law because they're our friends. We only made the content available for sale last month, but we've already had a few hundred dollars in sales. All of our sales are split 50/50 with the students who supplied the content, and we pay a 5% referral commission for people who invite friends through the site, so we're seeing a good amount of organic growth (like 10 new profiles a day). There's no limit to how much students can make--it's just a matter of getting the word out there. : )

ph14

Postby ph14 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:19 pm

Pierced wrote:
ph14 wrote:

Ask me anything!

We've had over 1,000 people upload their application details and personal statements... wide variety of undergrad + a bunch of people from Penn Law because they're our friends. We only made the content available for sale last month, but we've already had a few hundred dollars in sales. All of our sales are split 50/50 with the students who supplied the content, and we pay a 5% referral commission for people who invite friends through the site, so we're seeing a good amount of organic growth (like 10 new profiles a day). There's no limit to how much students can make--it's just a matter of getting the word out there. : )

Very cool. Best of luck to you. It's a pretty neat idea and good for you for turning it into a start up.

Pierced

Postby Pierced » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:23 pm

doing_it_in_a_car wrote:Thanks for doing this! Incoming Penn 0L here.

Penn's 2012 LST stats look solid, but I'm concerned because from this thread, it seems a lot of people struck out at OCI this year. viewtopic.php?f=23&t=213198&start=950

How is your class doing - did everyone come out with something decent?

How did your class do in Philly biglaw? Did everyone with decent grades and strong ties who wanted Philly get it?

Finally, how safe is median for NYC biglaw?

There are going to be a few people at every school who don't get jobs, and unfortunately, they're the ones who are the loudest on forums. Penn Law has consistently had the highest percent of their class go into biglaw--more than any other school. It helps that the class size is smaller, so you don't have as much competition, and you don't have to show your grades to law firms until the interview (so they can't screen for perfect grades)... My grades were awful 1L year (mostly B's and 2 B- from a school that doesn't give below a B-) and I still had 5 callbacks and offers.

Personally, I don't know a single person who applied and didn't get a big law job. I know two people who struck out their first try at OCI, worked in house for their 2L summer, and then did OCI again and got Debevoise in NYC.

In terms of getting a Philly law firm, there's no better school to go to than Penn. They all recruit here, and not that many students are applying to stay in Philly, so you have even less competition. There are also Philly firms that take 1Ls, so you have a chance to make more money that summer. I know people who contacted the firms directly to apply for 1L summer jobs and got them.

KatyMarie

Postby KatyMarie » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:28 pm

Thanks for doing this! Just a general question i guess, but what about Penn Law has exceeded your expectations the most and what's fallen short?

Pierced

Postby Pierced » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:59 pm

KatyMarie wrote:Thanks for doing this! Just a general question i guess, but what about Penn Law has exceeded your expectations the most and what's fallen short?

The school really values building a friendly and supportive environment. It feels like the staff wants you to do well, and will help make things easier for you. We have the most amazing Dean of Student Life--he's been with the school for like 2 or 3 decades. I once had a crazy housing situation (roommate was moving out of the city and lease was in her name), anyway... Anyway, Dean Clinton actually reached out to me and suggested I reschedule 2 of my exams so I had more time to study. I didn't even ask, or know that was possible.

There's also just a ton of great extracurricular options you can get involved in... if something isn't available, they'll give you the money to start your own club/sports team. You also have access to some really great Wharton clubs (I did crew team and joined for scotch club nights). Most people aren't from Philly, so everyone is making new friends and gets very involved in the various school clubs/societies. It's very different from my friends' experiences at law schools in NYC and Boston, where it felt like the majority of the class had a social life outside of the school.

In terms of shortfalls... Penn Law is always bragging about all the certificate programs (I'm doing the Wharton program), but registering for classes outside the law school is a pain. You really have to hustle to get into a class you'd want to take. They say they're improving this, but who knows.

Blackfish

Postby Blackfish » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:58 pm

Thanks for doing this! I've asked this before in the Penn student taking questions thread, but what are the top five things you love and hate about Penn?

And which would you recommend for housing, center city or university city (and how would you rate Philly as a city)?

Lastly, how do you feel about the certificate programs (in particular the ones at Wharton)? Do you feel like it was valuable/helpful to you? Thanks again for doing this :)

Oh and not sure if you would have any knowledge of this, but any word on how the new Dean search is going?

Pierced

Postby Pierced » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:29 pm

Blackfish wrote:Thanks for doing this! I've asked this before in the Penn student taking questions thread, but what are the top five things you love and hate about Penn?

And which would you recommend for housing, center city or university city (and how would you rate Philly as a city)?

Lastly, how do you feel about the certificate programs (in particular the ones at Wharton)? Do you feel like it was valuable/helpful to you? Thanks again for doing this :)

Oh and not sure if you would have any knowledge of this, but any word on how the new Dean search is going?

Top 5 Love
1) school culture: friendliness, community (join wednesday night bowling league)
2) ability to get jobs (I even got a law firm job during 1L summer which paid well)
3) variety of classes (everything from art law, to negotiations wharton class)
4) ease of doing wharton certificate (you can get it for just taking 1 pass/fail class)
5) extracurricular options (sports: flag football, boxing, rowing), student groups and competitions

I think it really says a lot that you have time to do so much while in law school--they even got rid of Property for 1L fall, so students only have to take 3 graded classes. And lots of people study abroad for a semester 3L year, which is cool.

Top 5 Hates
1) difficult to get the classes you want during 2L since you're competing w/3Ls and LLM students for the spots... end up taking classes at weird times.
2) hard to register for the really fun classes at Wharton
3) the writing competition to get on a journal--you're guaranteed to get on a journal (e.g. business law, international, constitutional law) if you don't make it on the law review, but it's 2 days of hell to do the writing comp. pretty much the same at most schools, just annoying.
4) housing near campus is expensive
5) some of the classrooms are kept way too cold!

Really like Philly as a city. Wouldn't want to live here longterm because it feels a lot smaller than other cities (i.e. NYC), but it's great to have everything so close together, and there are wonderful restaurants, bars, etc. here that you can actually get into and afford.

For housing:
Law school is at 3400 between Chestnut and Walnut...
-More students live in apt. building at 2400 Chestnut than any other apt building (it's a 10 minute walk from school).
-Domus is right across the street from law school and definitely worth living in 1L year so you can focus, but it's expensive.
-Riverloft at 2300 Walnut is the prettiest (18 ft. ceilings (I lived there)), but it's almost as expensive as Domus--mostly Wharton students live there.
-Riverwest at 2101 Chestnut is most affordable option and you're renting from condo owners (studios start at 1200). Ugly building but good location.
-There are plenty of nice walk up apartment buildings, especially closer to Rittenhouse (1800 Walnut)... just make sure you get renter's insurance if you don't have a doorman!

Really depends on your price range--but I'd stay on the Center City side (1400-2400 addresses on Locust, Chestnut, Walnut, or Market) unless you want to do Domus.

Wharton Certificate is totally worth it because you just have to take one class, gives you a broad overview of what you can study at Wharton, it's pass/fail, and it's a nice resume booster. You can take 3 more classes at Wharton if you want... I think people really like the variety of certificate options. It's a nice excuse to diversify your class schedule.

Haven't paid a lot of attention to Dean search. Our Dean of Students is the one who really sets the tone of the school, and he's staying (thank god!).

Hope this helps, and please share my startup with friends: ADMITSEE!!!

jayohtee

Postby jayohtee » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:23 pm

Hey thanks for doing this.

Do you have any sense as to how hard it is to land a job in DC or Boston? I know Penn is very firm-heavy in it's job prospects, which is fine with me (I work as a legal assistant at a V5 firm, so I know what I'm getting into). That said, I have little to no desire to work in Philly or NYC. I am from Boston, my parents live in Boston, I grew up and went to college in Boston and work there now so I think I'd be okay in the "ties" department. But I know Penn doesn't send very many people to the Boston market. Do you believe (or know) that this is based on self-selection (i.e., people just don't apply there because they don't want Boston) or is it because Boston firms don't recruit from Penn?

And in terms of the DC placement, is it really just reserved for the very top few students? The employment stats indicate that only roughly 30 people per class go to DC. Is that because you have to be top 30 people to get it or is it more that people just prefer NYC/Philly?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”