Is "Law Preview" worthwhile for free? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
ScottRiqui

Gold

Is "Law Preview" worthwhile for free?

Post by ScottRiqui » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:16 pm

I guess Barbri has a "before law school" six-day training program called "Law Preview". I hadn't heard of it before, and for $1100, I'm not too excited about it. But, law firms are sponsoring scholarships to the program at the school where I'm attending. If I got one of the scholarships and attended the training, the only impact to my life (other than possibly wasted time) would be that I'd have to move to my school's city about three weeks earlier, so no big deal.

Anyone have experience with Law Preview? Would it be worthwhile to go for free, or is it just a huge time-suck?

bobtyme

New

Re: Is "Law Preview" worthwhile for free?

Post by bobtyme » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:19 pm

Yes, I think it's great for free. Gives you a nice background on what to expect your 1L year. I wouldn't pay for it again though-very expensive.

shazi

New

Post by shazi » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:07 pm

Not only is Law Preview worth it for free, its worth the money.

Pretty much every case you read in Law Preview, you'll read again during 1L so its a pretty big leg up.
Also, you get taught pretty much all the major concepts from every 1L core course you take, by actual law professors who teach that subject. Even if you don't understand most of the concepts, initial exposure to the material makes the material much easier to grasp a second time around. If nothing else, it gives you exposure to the dynamics of actual law school lectures. It also lets you test your courage, if you choose to participate in lecture, making it much easier to raise your hand when class actually begins.

Law Preview is also generally great for strategic advice on how to attack 1L and how to take exams.

They also give you a bunch of free supplements and they send you emails throughout the year on how far along you should be in your studies, and how to attack each portion of the semester.

It's only a time-suck if your unwilling to learn during the summer/too bored to pay attention... In which case it should hint that law school is not right for you.

cookiejar1

Silver

Post by cookiejar1 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:01 am

My sponsoring firm also had a reception for their law preview scholars which was pretty cool.

ScottRiqui

Gold

Post by ScottRiqui » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:03 pm

Thanks for the replies - I'll definitely put in an application for the scholarship, and might even look into footing the bill myself if that doesn't work out.

Also, I didn't mean to give the impression that I'm "anti-prep", or unwilling to do work during the summer before law school - sorry if I came across that way. I've just been hearing bad things about LSAT prep courses/seminars for so long that I guess I'm spring-loaded to be skeptical, and was suspicious that Law Preview was just marketing to 0Ls who are either gunners, or are terrified because they have no idea what they're getting into.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:16 pm

Yeah, I'd heard it was a waste of money too. If it's actually worthwhile, I'd probably spring for it.

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:33 pm

These programs are worse scams than actual law school. They prey on insecurity to sell you something of no actual value. Don't be a sucker.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:43 pm

For free, go if moving early isn't a big deal.

Don't pay for it.

I went to Law Preview on one of the scholarships. It was a LONG week of solid lecturing. You read a few cases that you'll read again later, and you learn how to brief a case. It makes the first two weeks of class pretty easy but any advantage evens out after that. Like cookiejar above, the firm sponsoring mine (we're at the same school, different years) held a reception that was actually pretty cool. I'd been out of school for a long time, so I appreciated the chance to practice taking notes on a laptop (laptops were not common and nobody had them in class when I was in UG).

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:12 pm

Glad to see this since I'll be applying for the scholarship too.

Hope this isn't derailment, but if you were paying for Law Preview vs. LEEWS which would you go for if any?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:28 pm

Attax wrote:Glad to see this since I'll be applying for the scholarship too.

Hope this isn't derailment, but if you were paying for Law Preview vs. LEEWS which would you go for if any?
I flat-out wouldn't pay for Law Preview, period. LEEWS I've heard decent things about, it's much cheaper, and you can probably find a used copy.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:32 pm

Ive had friends who have done both the LEEWS class and the LEEWS recordings, and they basically said just reading the primer is sufficient.

primer is like 50 dollars on amazon.

shazi

New

Post by shazi » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:12 am

rinkrat19 wrote:For free, go if moving early isn't a big deal.

Don't pay for it.

I went to Law Preview on one of the scholarships. It was a LONG week of solid lecturing. You read a few cases that you'll read again later, and you learn how to brief a case. It makes the first two weeks of class pretty easy but any advantage evens out after that. Like cookiejar above, the firm sponsoring mine (we're at the same school, different years) held a reception that was actually pretty cool. I'd been out of school for a long time, so I appreciated the chance to practice taking notes on a laptop (laptops were not common and nobody had them in class when I was in UG).

This definitely seems to be the prevailing view of Law Preview.

Lectures are definitely LONG. But... If you can make it through a Law Preview lecture you can make it through any law school lecture you will ever have. It really is excellent stamina training for actual class.

If you show up to all/most of the days and generally put in the work and try to pay attention, at WORST you will be 2 weeks ahead of everyone when school starts.

However, if you choose to go above and beyond by diligently preparing for LP, not missing a day, paying full attention during lecture, and review and study the material after the week of instruction, you will be much more than 2 weeks ahead.

It really depends on how much work you're willing to put into it. Just like an LSAT prep course.

Since most people weren't nearly as motivated as I was when I took LP and didn't put in nearly the amount of work as I did, most people would disagree with me about LP's effectiveness.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”