Entering UT, have questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Mos10

Re: Entering UT, have questions

Postby Mos10 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:51 pm

Mos10 wrote:
cronos2546 wrote:As an aside OP, have you considered land work for o&g companies? Almost anyone with a pulse and law degree in Texas can get one, if you don't mind travel. If you target land, from the beginning at law school, you might be able to pick up a lucrative 1L gig and burnish resume for o&g in houston or midland. It would also defray portions of debt.

Terrific suggestion - thank you so much! I do intend to go into the energy industry in TX.

And what is exactly land work?

Mos10

Postby Mos10 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:57 pm

It's funny, if I were asking about SMU/Houston/Baylor/Texas Tech, I'd hear about how great UT is.

deebanger

Postby deebanger » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:11 pm

Mos10 wrote:
deebanger wrote:So, OP since did your undergrad in Cali, I'm curious, why did you ed UT, and say not a school like UCLA

I love Texas. And the California market is so much more impacted.

fair enough, but UCLA is a damn good law school too, and ED would have given you a bump there too, so thats why I was genuinely curious. And hey my sister who is applying next cycle will have this exact dilemna, she might ED ucla or UT. And besides the instate tution, did you not get any other scholly? so is that how u got 170,000 as cost of attendance?

Mos10

Postby Mos10 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:17 pm

Just $1000. I got the figure from LST. But to help out my parents will move to Austin, and I'll move in with them.
Hoping to get more merit-based scholarship money.

deebanger

Postby deebanger » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:21 pm

Mos10 wrote:Just $1000. I got the figure from LST. But to help out my parents will move to Austin, and I'll move in with them.

ok, and if you dont mind, can u share your stats, or atleast pm me, as ed'ing texas is a legit option for my sister, and your stats will tell me how much of a chance she has. Thank you!

Mos10

Postby Mos10 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:26 pm

deebanger wrote:
Mos10 wrote:Just $1000. I got the figure from LST. But to help out my parents will move to Austin, and I'll move in with them.

ok, and if you dont mind, can u share your stats, or atleast pm me, as ed'ing texas is a legit option for my sister, and your stats will tell me how much of a chance she has. Thank you!

Absolutely - 3.83, 162, but I am URM.

deebanger

Postby deebanger » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:33 pm

Mos10 wrote:
deebanger wrote:

Absolutely - 3.83, 162, but I am URM.

Thank you!, and wow did not know you were an URM, and your gpa is stellar, so curious, was UT your first option, and thats why you applied ed, because I honestly think you have had a chance at Berkeley even at regular decision.

Mos10

Postby Mos10 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:21 am

Thank you. Yes, UT has always been my first choice. I love Austin, I love Texas, and I'm not too fond of the Bay Area.

deebanger

Postby deebanger » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:44 am

Mos10 wrote:Thank you. Yes, UT has always been my first choice. I love Austin, I love Texas, and I'm not too fond of the Bay Area.

yea, if u wanted texas, UT is fantastic, but my main thing was why ED?, even at regular admission, your 3.8 gpa and URM status would have been very desirable to UT. say if you had applied regular decision, and received like $70,000 in scholarship money, wont that have been a better, or say you had received like $90,000 from SMU, wont that be a fantastic option as well if you had not applied ED, as its binding. Thats the only thing i am trying to say to my sister, If you apply ed, you a locking yourself out from other very very good options, like receiving 90,000 or even 100,000 in scholarship money. So, would love to hear out your reasoning/thought process for choosing to apply ed, get that admission boost, but give up scholarship money and take on more debt.

Mos10

Postby Mos10 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:57 am

Well, you're probably right, but that can't be reversed. I wish your sister the best of luck - LSAT is everything.

cronos2546

Postby cronos2546 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:37 pm

Mos10 wrote:
Mos10 wrote:
cronos2546 wrote:As an aside OP, have you considered land work for o&g companies? Almost anyone with a pulse and law degree in Texas can get one, if you don't mind travel. If you target land, from the beginning at law school, you might be able to pick up a lucrative 1L gig and burnish resume for o&g in houston or midland. It would also defray portions of debt.

Terrific suggestion - thank you so much! I do intend to go into the energy industry in TX.

And what is exactly land work?

Title research for leasing. Sorry for the delay.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”