How to list USPTO Patent Bar Examination on resumé?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
ScottRiqui

How to list USPTO Patent Bar Examination on resumé?

Postby ScottRiqui » Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:05 am

For students (or anyone who hasn't yet passed their state's Bar exam and become full-fledged Patent Attorney), how do you list having passed the Patent Bar Examination on your resumé? While it's technically correct, putting down "Patent Agent" sounds a little presumptuous if all I've done is pass the exam and haven't actually done any work in the field. Is TCR just to put something along the lines of "Passed USPTO Patent Bar Examination - July 201X"?

GoneRunning

Re: How to list USPTO Patent Bar Examination on resumé?

Postby GoneRunning » Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:46 pm

I have been listing it under the "Bar Admission" Category as:

United States Patent and Trademark Office, Patent Bar Exam passed on XX/XX/2014. Registration pending.

I'm still waiting for my registration number. You could list yours if you already have one.

skri65

Postby skri65 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:22 am

Similar question: where should I, if at all, list the fact that I'm patent bar eligible (I'm a CS major so it is not automatically obvious)

chem

Postby chem » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:22 am

ScottRiqui wrote:For students (or anyone who hasn't yet passed their state's Bar exam and become full-fledged Patent Attorney), how do you list having passed the Patent Bar Examination on your resumé? While it's technically correct, putting down "Patent Agent" sounds a little presumptuous if all I've done is pass the exam and haven't actually done any work in the field. Is TCR just to put something along the lines of "Passed USPTO Patent Bar Examination - July 201X"?

I put it as the first thing under law school, so its one of the first things seen. "Registered Patent Agent: ###########"

androstan

Postby androstan » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:13 pm

This is what the top of my resume (and my cover letters) looks like:

If you don't have your number you can just put the pass date there.

mx23250

Postby mx23250 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:16 pm

androstan wrote:This is what the top of my resume (and my cover letters) looks like:

If you don't have your number you can just put the pass date there.

Thanks for the tip! That looks like a really good place to put it. I'll be taking the exam in a couple weeks....fingers crossed!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”