Monterey College of Law - an accredited non-ABA Option Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Re: Monterey College of Law - an accredited non-ABA Option

Post by Mal Reynolds » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:35 am

It's clear that this asshole just wants to bump this thread occasionally to stay searchable. What's worse is that he's basically lying at this point. There isn't any employment information available in the 501(c)3 forms that I could find. Here is 2012 which is the most recent I could find. Even though he's gonna claim that were "drinking the traditional law school koolaid" and probably gonna say were "playing right into his hands" or some bullshit it should be our job to drown this guy out. He's a shill to a horrible law school.

Here is the relevant info I could find:

Dean's Salary: $150k
Bar Passage Rage 2008 to 2012: 66% (80 people took it and 55 passed). Only 80 people took the bar and they've enrolled over 500 students in that same time period. Less than 20% of their students even sit for the bar.

What's even more shocking about that is they don't even graduate all of their class, even though I'm sure they all pay tuition. In 2012 only 77% graduated from their fucking school. So basically most students either don't finish and even get a degree from this shit school, or they finish and don't take the bar. What a scam.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:38 am

Mal Reynolds wrote:It's clear that this asshole just wants to bump this thread occasionally to stay searchable. What's worse is that he's basically lying at this point. There isn't any employment information available in the 501(c)3 forms that I could find. Here is 2012 which is the most recent I could find. Even though he's gonna claim that were "drinking the traditional law school koolaid" and probably gonna say were "playing right into his hands" or some bullshit it should be our job to drown this guy out. He's a shill to a horrible law school.

Here is the relevant info I could find:

Dean's Salary: $150k
Bar Passage Rage 2008 to 2012: 66% (80 people took it and 55 passed). Only 80 people took the bar and they've enrolled over 500 students in that same time period. Less than 20% of their students even sit for the bar.

What's even more shocking about that is they don't even graduate all of their class, even though I'm sure they all pay tuition. In 2012 only 77% graduated from their fucking school. So basically most students either don't finish and even get a degree from this shit school, or they finish and don't take the bar. What a scam.
He won't respond to these real criticisms because he is a turd.

Ricky-Bobby

Silver

Post by Ricky-Bobby » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:41 am

Damn Mal, I was just going to ask about the $40k personal loan.

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:12 pm

This probably belongs in the "professionals" forum, given the snake oil being sold...

should-i-do-it

Bronze

Post by should-i-do-it » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:45 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:It's clear that this asshole just wants to bump this thread occasionally to stay searchable. What's worse is that he's basically lying at this point.
Why don't we ban the jackass

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:43 pm

MCL Law Dean wrote:
Ricky-Bobby wrote:
MCL Law Dean wrote:. . . so transparency is not a problem. We have budgets and pay rent, salaries, insurance, and utilities . . . and conduct an audit every year to report to the accreditors. So yes, we are a business that balances revenue and expenses.
Where can I find all of this info?
All 501(c)3 non-profits file an annual 990 tax report with the IRS. It is public record.
I'd still like to know whether you believe that everyone who wants to be a lawyer should be allowed to become one, or if there is a certain point at which the LSAT denotes genuine stupidity and respectable schools should not admit him/her.

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:54 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:
MCL Law Dean wrote:
Ricky-Bobby wrote:
MCL Law Dean wrote:. . . so transparency is not a problem. We have budgets and pay rent, salaries, insurance, and utilities . . . and conduct an audit every year to report to the accreditors. So yes, we are a business that balances revenue and expenses.
Where can I find all of this info?
All 501(c)3 non-profits file an annual 990 tax report with the IRS. It is public record.
I'd still like to know whether you believe that everyone who wants to be a lawyer should be allowed to become one, or if there is a certain point at which the LSAT denotes genuine stupidity and respectable schools should not admit him/her.
You're missing the major point: even people who want to become lawyers, under this school's acceptance standards, can't if they go to Monterey. That's how terrible it is.

ilikebaseball

Gold

Post by ilikebaseball » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:14 am

Literally no one here accepts anyone's bullshit. I love it.

North

Gold

Post by North » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:17 am

choward014 wrote:Literally no one here accepts anyone's bullshit. I love it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ilikebaseball

Gold

Post by ilikebaseball » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:45 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:This is just sad.

Fun fact: I think the Dean of Texas Tech and this dude are the two biggest hucksters on this board. Turns out that the MCL dean used to work at TT also. Cut from the same cloth those two.
Also, I dont think you can associate this guy with Dean Perez. Even though they both represent "non top law schools" on a top law school forum, Perez seemed to only want to answer questions that students had and generate interest in the program. He didn't misrepresent any information or intentionally mislead anyone with "employment statistics that have nothing to do with a law degree." Perez seemed like a great guy to get information from and I thought he represented Tech well.

However, this guy seemed bad from the first sentence. Dean, sir... with all do respect, your first sentence deters anyone who would even have an inclination to look this school up. First of all, referring to yourself in the 3rd person is pretty insane, but then you go on to say how you don't know why anyone WOULDNT be interested in your law school. You attempt to back this up with employment statistics that would seem okay to the average reader. Luckily, someone here (as he should have) called you out on it. Under 50% of your grads even use their law degree in a law profession. So in other words, the % of employed people that DIDNT use their law degree didn't even need to go to law school at all. I bet if we asked them, they're pissed they wasted 3 years of their life getting a degree they didn't even need when they could have been spending those 3 years at the same job building their annual salary every single year. Now, they most likely have debt, have the same job they would've had, and are 3 years closer to retirement.

If you think you can come on TLS and state the BS your spitting, you gotta remember that the members here arent simpletons. You come on here to try to advertise for your law school (which is perfectly fine) but then you mislead people with your employment stats. That's what derailed this thread

BillsFan9907

Silver

Post by BillsFan9907 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:45 pm

This is by far one of the most amazing threads I have ever read. Where did Winnick go?
Last edited by BillsFan9907 on Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:47 pm

Seoulless wrote:This is by far one of the most amazing thread's I have ever read. Where did Winnick go?
Paradise, apparently. Fucking tool.

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:16 pm

I'm glad he doesn't post. More traditional law school koolaid for us.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”