Pre - Law School Employment Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
ArundelSt

New

Pre - Law School Employment

Post by ArundelSt » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:54 pm

Previously posted this in wrong forum sorry to all, so I am trying it out here.

0L here, I have all of my applications in and I am currently between jobs (not fired or anything like that, worked previously as a paralegal for an NYC boutique firm and abroad doing marketing) with an awkward amount of time until law school begins in August. In terms of hiring later on (OCI etc) does it matter what I do over the next six months ? I.e. Will it give me an advantage to go work for a law firm, volunteer at legal aid, or a PD office or something like that? Or will it put me at a disadvantage to go hike the Appalachian trail or work on an organic farm in Oregon or something along those lines ? Obviously I am not going to just sit on my couch for six months and do nothing, but do I need to work a "real" job

brotherdarkness

Gold

Re: Pre - Law School Employment

Post by brotherdarkness » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:58 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LRGhost

Gold

Post by LRGhost » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:20 am

I recommend sitting on your couch and doing whatever you want to do because it shouldn't matter.

eaternation

New

Post by eaternation » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:26 am

If you are considering doing anythign public interest related, i would recommend interning w/ local legal aid. Even if it's only one day a week, it'll give you a resume line item that you can use to demonstrate interest in the field (when applying for 1L summer internships). Besides that, I would recommend doing the least possible or doing something you enjoy (any hobbies, long trips you want to take,etc). Once law school starts, free time will greatly decrease. Enjoy your freedom

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:38 pm

LRGhost wrote:I recommend sitting on your couch and doing whatever you want to do because it shouldn't matter.
If the OP is independently wealthy, sure. If not, I'd recommend working and saving to offset the cost of law school.

LRGhost

Gold

Post by LRGhost » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:08 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:
LRGhost wrote:I recommend sitting on your couch and doing whatever you want to do because it shouldn't matter.
If the OP is independently wealthy, sure. If not, I'd recommend working and saving to offset the cost of law school.
I worked a shit job and it was cool to chill and enjoy having spending money but yeah, I agree. I'd also agree that if someone could offset a decent amount of the cost in five months, they probably should not be going to law school. I more meant that he shouldn't do anything stressful or worry about a 'prestigious' job.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”