How much do people really hate lawyers?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Hipster but Athletic

Re: How much do people really hate lawyers?

Postby Hipster but Athletic » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:43 pm

May I ask, whose Socrates are you talking about? I've always the Aristophanes Socrates chilling in the den was probably most real2lyfe. Plato had way too big of a boner for him

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:56 pm

People know that there are many immoral sleezebag attorneys out there that use their unique access to the legal field to make themselves rich and fuck other people. People also know there are good lawyers out there, and if you have a solid reputation amongst your peers it is no surprise they were supportive of your decision to go to law school.

Kafkaesquire

Postby Kafkaesquire » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:07 pm

Hipster but Athletic wrote:May I ask, whose Socrates are you talking about? I've always the Aristophanes Socrates chilling in the den was probably most real2lyfe. Plato had way too big of a boner for him

I don't see how it matters. Let him or her choose.

Boilerbunch

Postby Boilerbunch » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:30 pm

UVAIce wrote:People just hate the other lawyer. In practically every situation you hire a lawyer there is an opposing counsel trying to put you in jail, give all of your possessions to your future ex-wife, make you liable for thousands of dollars of damages, and the list goes on. Everyone hates the opposing counsel on the other side who is obviously lying, cheating, and manipulating the facts to screw them, because people always find a way to see themselves as the "good guy" in every situation.

And when that isn't the case, you're paying them thousands of dollars to draft extremely wordy documents that even most lawyers have a difficult time reading.

But as long as you're just the lawyer who answers random criminal law questions at dinner parties you will be of great amusement to your friends.

Sort of how sports fans of one team hate the coach of the other team for usually pedestrian qualities but love their coach for containing the very same qualities.

ExBiglawAssociate

Postby ExBiglawAssociate » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:01 pm

Pokemon wrote:
Biglaw_Associate_V20 wrote:You shouldn't worry about how much non-lawyers hate lawyers as much as you should worry about you hating other lawyers once you're a lawyer.

Or about you hating yourself once you become a lawyer.

Credited. Seriously though, I fucking hate lawyers like a million times more than I did before law school now that I've had to correspond with opposing counsel and do a few depos. You really have no idea what passive aggression is until you've gone up against lawyers from law firms with "aggressive" litigation strategies.

SparkyZZZ

Postby SparkyZZZ » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:07 pm

I think that you will find that a lot of MDs particularly don't like lawyers. According to a few attorneys that I know, you will probably get a few cold stares/pointed comments when you go to the doctor.

iamgeorgebush

Postby iamgeorgebush » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:15 pm

SparkyZZZ wrote:I think that you will find that a lot of MDs particularly don't like lawyers. According to a few attorneys that I know, you will probably get a few cold stares/pointed comments when you go to the doctor.

Does it help if you tell them you're a plaintiff-side medical malpractice lawyer?

brotherdarkness

Postby brotherdarkness » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:19 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Otunga

Postby Otunga » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:16 pm

I told friend's dad that I was going to LS and he said something like "So you're going to lie!'. He came to the US a while ago and the immigration lawyer he came into contact with took his money and gave him little to no services.

eliztudorr

Postby eliztudorr » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:55 pm

lawyers, business people, doctors are one of the few highest regarded professions in our society. so there's always going to be that "respected" look when you tell people you are going to LS or you are an attorney. either because people believe in you or they think you made a decision they will never be able to pull through.

i think people tend to focus on the bad when it involves a lot of MONEY or a lot of people. (because our society make MONEY a necessary component) lawyers are notorious for making loads of money by "fighting" for others. in a fight, it involves both parties perspectives (and who likes to admit they are wrong?) and unless they settle, there's always a loser and a winner. being a team player, and the representative of the "fight", you are bound to be hated by someone LOL plus, we make MONEY out of other people's not so great situations.

overall, lawyers are respected but hated in our society. but people cannot live without us. as long as there's demand, we exist :D so hate all they want LOL

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”