Coffee Meeting w/ Partner, Questions to Ask?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
yossarian

Coffee Meeting w/ Partner, Questions to Ask?

Postby yossarian » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:29 pm

I have a coffee meeting tomorrow with a partner at local biglaw. He was my NU interviewer two cycles ago and offered himself as a resource. Aside from a few update emails, this is the first time we will meet in person since interview.

0L, entering law school this fall.

My goals are:
1) Make a good impression, keep myself in his memory for future employment (his firm is among my top 3 choices for SA)
2) Learn about biglaw hiring landscape in my secondary market (especially to help me choose a school this cycle)

I'm wondering about appropriate questions to ask.

General topics I plan to hit:
-Hiring in my city
-Things to do in law school to stay competitive for hiring later (ie, relative impact of law review v. clinic experience in hiring)
-His firms 1L SA program
-How he enjoys his practice
-How he developed his practice
-Tips to be successful in law school

Questions
-Is it okay to ask any hiring questions directly? If so, do I phrase them for his firm or for similar firms in city?
-How should I end the meeting? Thanks, but then anything else? How do I indicate continued interest in his firm/keeping in touch?
-What else should I hit on? Venturing into unfamiliar territory.

yossarian

Re: Coffee Meeting w/ Partner, Questions to Ask?

Postby yossarian » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:29 pm

Thanks in advance for any advice!

yossarian

Postby yossarian » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:32 am

bump.

Sorry, meeting's at 4:30 today.
(It may just be that this thread is dumb, if so, let me know. All of my networking experience is in nonprofit/policy, just a different vibe, so I'm curious to hear thoughts).

Hutz_and_Goodman

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:43 am

Dress well, act professional, research his firm, ask him about his practice area , be relaxed and have a normal conversation.

yossarian

Postby yossarian » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:38 am

Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:Dress well, act professional, research his firm, ask him about his practice area , be relaxed and have a normal conversation.

Done. Done. Done. Will do.

Thanks so much for the input. Probably was just over-thinking it. Thanks again.

BLUERUFiO

Postby BLUERUFiO » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:40 pm

yossarian71 wrote:
Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:Dress well, act professional, research his firm, ask him about his practice area , be relaxed and have a normal conversation.

How'd the meeting go?

yossarian

Postby yossarian » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:13 am

BLUERUFiO wrote:
yossarian71 wrote:

How'd the meeting go?

Very well. Thanks for asking. He was amazingly conversational and wanted to talk frankly about things I assumed were off limits. He jumped right into what schools were offering me what money and then he went thru each schools GPA cutoff for his firm. Helped me weigh options. Lots of practical advice going forward.

He also hadn't seen me for two years since the NU interview. And he was very impressed with what I've done in the last two years to make myself a better candidate for law school/big law.

Seemed to indicate that he hadn't had anyone really approach him for informational interviews who weren't already in law school. He appreciated that. Just a good guy. Good meeting.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”