Terrible law school grades!

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Muse1988

Terrible law school grades!

Postby Muse1988 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:05 pm

I am not sure if anyone had done as terrible as me during their first semester of law school, I flunked almost every class I had taken during my fall semester (Fall of 2013). I had only passed one class with a B+ out of 5 classes. At this point i'm not sure If I want to continue my spring semester. I am currently two weeks into my spring semester. I had spoken with an academic advisor, she had provided me with wide array of options, one of them being that If I decide to drop out this semester, the school will not charge me tuition for this semester. Now, I'm not sure if I want to throw in the towel yet, I still believe I can do well. Last semester was just a fluke. My mind was not really into law school. I was not studying like the way I should have been, I spend the school days going to the gym and watching hours of TV and only spending about two hours a day in my studies. On the weekends, I pretty much did not even tough any of my law books. To top it of, around the final time, I did not outline for any of my classes, nor did I allow myself enough time to study, pretty much I crammed all my studying on the week of the final exam. Of course, if I decide to continue this semester, I will change all these things. But first, I want to make sure continuing is still a sound investment for me at this point, despite my terrible performance the previous semester. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by Muse1988 on Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thsmthcrmnl

Re: Terrible law school grades!

Postby thsmthcrmnl » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:08 pm

So you literally failed four classes? Of course you should drop out.

bryanjbay12

Postby bryanjbay12 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:09 pm

If this is real, drop out now

kay2016

Postby kay2016 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:11 pm

I'm guessing this must be a flame but if you're serious OP... Drop out.

This is not meant to be harsh, but if you literally failed your law school exams it's a sign that you didn't even understand the material, let alone the secondary beast of learning how to take a law school exam. Even if you do figure this out and dedicate more time this semester straight A's (which is IMPOSSIBLE to predict or expect due to the curve) will probably not even get you to median at your school.

If you can get out without paying this semester's tuition I think that is the best thing you can do.

Muse1988

Postby Muse1988 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:36 pm

Look, I'm not looking at getting a big law job or anything. My goal is to get my law degree and work at a public sector job, preferably, at a local DA office. Mathematically, I think its possible for me to improve my GPA up to 3.00 or close to that by my third year without having to get straight A's. I hear what some of you are saying. I know continuing on may not be the wisest decision, financially speaking. But, I can't imagine myself doing anything else. I have invested so much time and money into this.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:41 pm

Muse1988 wrote:Look, I'm not looking at getting a big law job or anything. My goal is to get my law degree and work at a public sector job, preferably, at a local DA office. Mathematically, I think its possible for me to improve my GPA up to 3.00 or close to that by my third year without having to get straight A's. I hear what some of you are saying. I know continuing on may not be the wisest decision, financially speaking. But, I can't imagine myself doing anything else. I have invested so much time and money into this.

trololololololololololololololololololololololololloololololol

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:56 pm

Muse1988 wrote:Look, I'm not looking at getting a big law job or anything. My goal is to get my law degree and work at a public sector job, preferably, at a local DA office. Mathematically, I think its possible for me to improve my GPA up to 3.00 or close to that by my third year without having to get straight A's. I hear what some of you are saying. I know continuing on may not be the wisest decision, financially speaking. But, I can't imagine myself doing anything else. I have invested so much time and money into this.

I admire your perseverance. Too many law students on TLS want to throw in the towel as soon as the first "B" appears on their transcript. You, on the other hand, are looking to fight on with four F's. That fighting spirit can lead only to good things.

KD35

Postby KD35 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:08 pm

Desert Fox wrote:trololololololololololololololololololololololololloololololol

+1

kay2016

Postby kay2016 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:11 pm

PI jobs may not be as grade conscious, but you're going to be competing with people who at least passed PLUS the people who had awesome grades and have gunned PD/DA from the get go.

Drop out and do some soul searching. Anything else shows bad judgment.

(Still think this is a troll, but to anyone really in this situation...)

BigLawer

Postby BigLawer » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:19 pm

rpupkin wrote:

I admire your perseverance. Too many law students on TLS want to throw in the towel as soon as the first "B" appears on their transcript. You, on the other hand, are looking to fight on with four F's. That fighting spirit can lead only to good things.

I haven't laughed this hard in a long time. Excellent response

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:46 pm

You got it, boi. That study routine is golden, just a fluke this fall. Moreover, assuming the dean isn't blowing coke into a hooker's ass with it, your tuition dollars are paying for some undergraduate from a low income family to get a generous grant. Congrats, good Samaritan!

Nova

Postby Nova » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:57 pm

Try being more subtle next time, OP

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:35 pm

I know this is likely fake, but as a 0L, just out of curiosity: if this were true, would it even be a question of voluntarily dropping out? I would think the school in this case would just kick you out.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:43 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:I know this is likely fake, but as a 0L, just out of curiosity: if this were true, would it even be a question of voluntarily dropping out? I would think the school in this case would just kick you out.

Usually academic probation for a first semester like this, followed by academic suspension/expulsion.

ETA: I know someone who got a C, two Ds and two Fs first semester. Stuck around second semester, got 3 Cs, 2Bs. Dropped out afterwards - it was taking his entire life to even get those mediocre grades. Joined the Army.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”