What is private appellate practice like?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
junkman

What is private appellate practice like?

Postby junkman » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:54 pm

For practicing attorneys: I am thinking of opening my own appellate shop in the DC area. What are your thoughts? Federal COA clerkship, HYSCC graduate, four years at a V20 firm. Just don't want to do biglaw anymore. How successful are these ventures? Any chance I will ever make high six figures/low seven figures? I enjoy appellate work and the DC area, but it sure is expensive to live here with a family. So money is definitely a factor. What should I charge? I'm thinking around 650/hour. Hoping to bill around 30-35 hours per week. I'm thinking of using MetroOffice (flat monthly rate of like 1500 per month which includes most all overhead I would use). Would I ever be able to land some prestigious clients, or do they always stick with the big firms? Would the big firms ever use me? Or would I be officially making the move to "s***law?" Thanks for your thoughts.

A. Nony Mouse

Re: What is private appellate practice like?

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:54 pm

You ask an interesting question for someone who is considering a JD/PhD in econ, international litigation, a JD/MBA, going into the Marines, and what kinds of scholarships you can get for southern law schools.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=223495
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=223058
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=223050
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=222901
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=222380

junkman

Postby junkman » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:16 pm

So...answer to my question anybody? People are so quick to assume that TLS id's belong to a single person.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:16 pm

junkman wrote:So...answer to my question anybody? People are so quick to assume that TLS id's belong to a single person.

They're supposed to.

junkman

Postby junkman » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:22 pm

Is that an unwritten rule? Lots of people out there aren't even aware of TLS until they stumble upon it and think it's some small, random forum base with very little regulation. So they just do whatever they want. Now, that's not me. But this is the first I have heard that there is a rule against multiple people with the same id. I don't want to be the creator of another troll forum. I really just want people's thoughts on my question.

UnderrateOverachieve

Postby UnderrateOverachieve » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:28 pm

junkman wrote:Is that an unwritten rule? Lots of people out there aren't even aware of TLS until they stumble upon it and think it's some small, random forum base with very little regulation. So they just do whatever they want. Now, that's not me. But this is the first I have heard that there is a rule against multiple people with the same id. I don't want to be the creator of another troll forum. I really just want people's thoughts on my question.

You can't be serious.

patogordo

Postby patogordo » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:41 pm

What a weird troll. I vote we keep him.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:38 am

patogordo wrote:What a weird troll. I vote we keep him.

If you're willing to feed him and water him and take him for walks...

junkman

Postby junkman » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:15 am

Good one. Guys my friends and I found this site for the first time a couple weeks ago. This is my first post on any Internet forum. It looked interesting, so I asked a question hoping to get some advice from colleagues. Scrolling through various forums, I have noticed lots of people post on virtually every single one. It's like to some of these people TLS is all they have in their life. I'm sorry about that. TLS isn't the whole world to me. Don't worry I won't come back to deface your precious forums again. You can go back to playing video games in your parents basement in peace.

patogordo

Postby patogordo » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:47 am

What about alternative fee arrangements? Can I get a flat rate for appealing a TLS ban? How much would that run me in euros? Asking for a friend.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:09 am

Do private appellate practice in the Marines.

Btw you're a hilariously transparent liar

encore1101

Postby encore1101 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:30 am

If the writing styles of the other posts were different I might have given you the benefit of the doubt but.. yeah, you need a hobby.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:08 am

He stays true to his name, he is the Junk Man.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”