When to buy a suit?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Chriz

When to buy a suit?

Postby Chriz » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:09 pm

I have always been poor and overweight so I have never owned a suit. I am trying to lose some weight before law school and will try during law school. When is the first time you will need a suit? OCI? I would like to wait as long as I can before I buy one but I obviously want to have one when it is needed.

rinkrat19

Re: When to buy a suit?

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:17 pm

We needed one in the first month or two of 1L for various events. Also some business casual. If a school does a 1L spring OCI, you'll need one then. You'll likely need one around Dec/Jan when you're trying to get a 1L summer gig.

It's best to ask students at your school.

Postby 09042014 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:24 pm

Buy three week before school starts, and get it tailored before OCI if you lose more weight.

You have seven months to lose weight. You could lose like 60 lbs in that time. Are you more than 60lbs overweight?

Chriz

Postby Chriz » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:37 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Buy three week before school starts, and get it tailored before OCI if you lose more weight.

You have seven months to lose weight. You could lose like 60 lbs in that time. Are you more than 60lbs overweight?

Way way more than 60 pounds overweight. Is there a point where you have lost too much weight to tailor it and need to buy a new one?? I've never worn a suit in my whole life. It's hard to dress up when you are overweight. It never feels right. I guess I'll see where I'm sitting when law school starts and get a cheap suit and some more formal clothes in case I need them.

PalmBay

Postby PalmBay » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:40 pm

You have a lot of time till law school.
Good luck! You can do it.

Postby 09042014 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:43 pm

Well, if you end up losing more weight after you get it, that's a good problem to have. Lose the weight first, think about this after. Because you won't really lose the weight, at least most likely.

You can do a lot to a suit, but changing the shoulder size is the hard part, and may limit you.

Buy a cheap suit in August, and another one the July after, for OCI. THat's worst case.

But you are WAY ahead of yourself here. Lose the weight first.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:46 pm

Chriz wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Way way more than 60 pounds overweight. Is there a point where you have lost too much weight to tailor it and need to buy a new one??

The most important thing with suits is that it fits in the shoulders. Generally, if it's good in the shoulders, a tailor can work with it.

If you lose a dramatic amount of weight, yeah, there will come a point when it can't be tailored and you just have to get a new one. Good problem to have, though, since it means your diet is working. Best of luck.

Chriz

Postby Chriz » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:48 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Well, if you end up losing more weight after you get it, that's a good problem to have. Lose the weight first, think about this after. Because you won't really lose the weight, at least most likely.

You can do a lot to a suit, but changing the shoulder size is the hard part, and may limit you.

Buy a cheap suit in August, and another one the July after, for OCI. THat's worst case.

But you are WAY ahead of yourself here. Lose the weight first.

I've had success in the past but the weight loss is not my main concern. My concern is when I need a suit. I am worried about how dressed up people will be for ASW as well because there is a Banquet at the end of it I am already planning on not attending because it will probably be formal. Being overweight is terrible and I recommend people never do it.

Postby 09042014 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:54 pm

You've been fat your entire life and you aren't concerned about losing weight. LOL

Just buy a cheap suit.

Chriz

Postby Chriz » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:56 pm

Desert Fox wrote:You've been fat your entire life and you aren't concerned about losing weight. LOL

Just buy a cheap suit.

I am very concerned about losing weight as a life style choice. I just mean in regards to the tailoring and what not. I am not too concerned about the tailoring because obviously if my suit is way too big I will probably be so happy about that that I will gladly pay the extra money for a new one.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:07 pm

I think it varies a little by school. The first time you would have absolutely needed a suit at my school was sometime in January, when our CSO lined up mock interviews leading into spring OCI. But some schools have business-formal events before than in 1L.

Chriz

Postby Chriz » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:12 pm

Thanks everyone for the replies. I think I will swing by Men's Warehouse sometime in August before school starts and get a cheap suit that I can wear if I need to. And maybe a few nice dress shirts for more casual things. I am trying to save as much money as I can.

bandenjamin

Postby bandenjamin » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:00 pm

Ask a few current students about the environment and wait till you pick a specific school before you spring for new clothes. You don't want to buy a heavy wool suit if you're going to go to Florida...

**I'm also a fat kid so I understand your issues. I've found Jos. A. Bank to be a little more affordable than Men's Wearhouse, but they might not be in your area. Good luck!

guano

Postby guano » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:16 pm

Do not wear a suit to ASW or orientation. Do not be that guy

Chriz

Postby Chriz » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:59 pm

It's not for ASW... There is a banquet and if I am reading the information about it right, it is formal.

Pufer

Postby Pufer » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:38 am

Chriz wrote:It's not for ASW... There is a banquet and if I am reading the information about it right, it is formal.

If it's actually formal, that means tuxedo (it's almost certainly not formal, but you did use the word).

That aside, everything sold at Mens Wearhouse can be found for hundreds of dollars cheaper online. Go elsewhere.

-Pufer

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”