What is a JD/PhD in Economics good for?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
junkman

What is a JD/PhD in Economics good for?

Postby junkman » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:08 pm

Let's assume worthwhile schools. Let's assume fairly reasonable debt because of the GI Bill. What does the JD/PhD in Economics do for you? I want to practice law so I'm not concerned with career flexibility in the field of economics or academia. I'm wondering how it will help you in the practice of law, if it will at all. What areas of law will it help you in? I heard it will be helpful in antitrust, but will it give me an advantage worth the extra three years of banging my head against the desk in misery? Or is it not worth it? Thanks.

A. Nony Mouse

Re: What is a JD/PhD in Economics good for?

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:16 pm

My understanding is that it would do nothing at all for you in the practice of law - it would only be helpful for academia, or for getting non-legal jobs that don't require a JD to begin with but for which a PhD might be useful. I can't swear there aren't any employers who'd see it as a plus because I don't know enough about finance/economic jobs, but generally speaking, legal employers (not in academia) who see a PhD assume you're going to be fleeing to academia as soon as you can.

But like I said, maybe stuff involving money is different.

guano

Postby guano » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:24 pm

Generally, academia. Maybe some finance jobs, but not many - these days the only PhDs they care about are math related. (there are always exceptions)

kartelite

Postby kartelite » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:13 pm

guano wrote:Generally, academia. Maybe some finance jobs, but not many - these days the only PhDs they care about are math related. (there are always exceptions)

Hmm, perhaps you're not aware of this, but doctoral programs in economics are very mathematical. My PhD qualifiers in economics were as heavy on math as any exam I took for my math degrees (undergrad and master's).

But I don't think you should do JD/PhD unless you want to do academia or are just really interested in the material.

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:28 pm

Have heard that antitrust groups like JD/PhD econ people. It might just be anecdotal though.

Ohiobumpkin

Postby Ohiobumpkin » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:32 pm

A clerkship with Judge Posner.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”