Retaking classes?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
ZyzzBrah

Retaking classes?

Postby ZyzzBrah » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:00 pm

3L here, last semester about to start and faced with the following:

-I did poorly in a civ pro class (b-) and would potentially like to retake the class

-assuming I retake and got an a, the boost to my gpa would be somewhat substantial

-BUT, i would not end up getting a different graduation honors. Right now Im about 20% in the class. The highest gpa I could possibly get is a 3.66--I'd get at best a 3.6 if I don't retake)--which would put me just outside the historical top 10% cut off of 3.7--therefore I have 0% chance of graduating in top 10.

So the question is: would you retake a class if, despite giving you a good bump in your gpa, wouldn't change what honors you get at graduation but only change where in the 20-10 percentile range you fall onto? (fyi, i know you cant guarantee grades)

A. Nony Mouse

Re: Retaking classes?

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:44 pm

Can you actually do that? My school only allowed people to retake classes after leaving school for a break and returning, and even then, they combine the grades - 1/3 for the original, 2/3 for the new grade.

ZyzzBrah

Re: Retaking classes?

Postby ZyzzBrah » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:24 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Can you actually do that? My school only allowed people to retake classes after leaving school for a break and returning, and even then, they combine the grades - 1/3 for the original, 2/3 for the new grade.

Yeh, the policy is that if you retake your existing grade will just be replaced by the new grade but you will not get credit for the retake--and you can only do it once.

Im just trying to figure out whether its worth taking a class just to graduate something like top 15% (or maybe like top 12 if im lucky) vs top 20% where I am

fwiw, i have an ssc clerkship and am currently applying to dist ct clerkships with the ultimate goal of either larger firms (didn't have an sa) or oag office in the area. So any potential boost wouldn't help with the clerkships, only with jobs after the clerkship(s) end

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”