If you finished 1L year top of your class get in here!! Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Balthy

Silver

Re: If you finished 1L year top of your class get in here!!

Post by Balthy » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:26 am

tagging. thanks for all the responses.

flat-fifth

New

Post by flat-fifth » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:17 pm

Thank you all so much for your responses! They have all been quite helpful. My cycle is now over and although I didn't get into my dream school, I am attending a top 20 school. I will surely keep this information in my back pocket.

WheninLaw

Silver

Post by WheninLaw » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:59 am

The people in this thread frighten and confuse me.

OP, to give you the other angle: top 10% at CCN. Did not study 80 hours a week. Paid attention in class, kept up on my outlining, and took practice exams. The most important thing was to talk to upperclassmen about how to write a law school exam. It is a totally different beast and it takes people a solid year to learn. Those that learn it early end up at the top.

Volake

New

Post by Volake » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:15 am

What worked for me was seeing how all the different aspects of classes fit together and not just viewing it all isolation. Try studying while listening to music you enjoy, having a few beers, or eating tasty foods. If I'm not enjoying the subject matter, I'm not going to be as effective at learning it. In my two years of experience in law school, there aren't any classes that aren't intriguing and rewarding to study if you have the right attitude.

Theopliske8711

Gold

Post by Theopliske8711 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:42 am

Try studying while listening to music you enjoy, having a few beers, or eating tasty foods.
Can't imagine this being a good idea for the vast majority of people. I mean, I have friends who are physics and math majors and like to do equations while downing beers, but they are borderline alcoholics. I feel like what you do to help yourself study because part of your study "thing", and you become conditioned so that you can't study effectively without that thing. In UG, I always had to have a hot coffee or tea to continually sip while doing long translation work. It resulted in pretty bad caffeine addiction and jitters.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:03 am

Theopliske8711 wrote:
Try studying while listening to music you enjoy, having a few beers, or eating tasty foods.
Can't imagine this being a good idea for the vast majority of people. I mean, I have friends who are physics and math majors and like to do equations while downing beers, but they are borderline alcoholics. I feel like what you do to help yourself study because part of your study "thing", and you become conditioned so that you can't study effectively without that thing. In UG, I always had to have a hot coffee or tea to continually sip while doing long translation work. It resulted in pretty bad caffeine addiction and jitters.
If I'm not tipsy for my property reading, it ain't getting done cause that shit is dull.

Jk, but kinda

buffalo_

Bronze

Post by buffalo_ » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:04 am

Volake wrote:Try studying while listening to music you enjoy, having a few beers, or eating tasty foods.
But then you have to "have a few beers" during the exam too right? Otherwise how will you tap into that previously stored knowledge?

Volake

New

Post by Volake » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:15 am

Notice the use of the disjunctive, suggesting that you might put down a few in some sessions, but by no means all or even the majority. Further, a couple wouldn't impair your studying, in fact it may make you more relaxed. I was simply trying to emphasize that if you enjoy studying law, not only will you probably be more likely to stick to the rigorous routine you set out for your yourself, but the quality of study will likely be better as well.

foundingfather

Silver

Post by foundingfather » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:36 pm

In for future reference - thanks everyone

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Pulsar

Bronze

Post by Pulsar » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:46 pm

80-90 hours/week every week is insane, unhealthy, and unnecessary. Maybe during the three weeks before exams, but otherwise it's important to live something aspiring towards a balanced life. I hate people that do this because I know one day their clones at firms will make the destruction of my life collateral to the wrecking of their own.

Also frankly studying your way into #1 in your class won't work anyway. Maybe you can brute-force grading onto LR, but the people at the top probably get there because of raw intelligence, exam-taking skill, and prior experiences whose benefits probably can't be replicated by an extra 20 hours/week of studying on any other student's part.

Blumpbeef

Gold

Post by Blumpbeef » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:10 am

Desert Fox wrote:
bjsesq wrote:Slept 8 hours a night, save Sunday, where I slept for 10 because I had drinks with friends on Saturday night. Other than that. If I wasn't lifting, eating, or sleeping, I was studying. Probably 80-90 hours a week. Three study groups, read supplements along with lexis notes, generally got 5 outlines from different people and combined them into one along with my own. Gotta work hard.
Don't be modest. You brought your E&E to saturday drinks.
Can't tell if you guys' posts ITT are serious or not

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:11 am

Blumpbeef wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
bjsesq wrote:Slept 8 hours a night, save Sunday, where I slept for 10 because I had drinks with friends on Saturday night. Other than that. If I wasn't lifting, eating, or sleeping, I was studying. Probably 80-90 hours a week. Three study groups, read supplements along with lexis notes, generally got 5 outlines from different people and combined them into one along with my own. Gotta work hard.
Don't be modest. You brought your E&E to saturday drinks.
Can't tell if you guys' posts ITT are serious or not
Of course they aren't.

Blumpbeef

Gold

Post by Blumpbeef » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:16 am

That's what I thought at first, but then I realized that i know people who actually did that shit.

One guy in your class said he studied 12+ hours a day, and made ~80 page outlines for all his classes.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:19 am

Blumpbeef wrote:That's what I thought at first, but then I realized that i know people who actually did that shit.

One guy in your class said he studied 12+ hours a day, and made ~80 page outlines for all his classes.
He sounds like a fucking toolbox.

flat-fifth

New

Post by flat-fifth » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:53 pm

jk148706

Gold

Post by jk148706 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:27 pm

Where does one get these practice exams you all speak of?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:51 pm

jk148706 wrote:Where does one get these practice exams you all speak of?
Through your school/professor. Schools usually have banks of previous exams (either officially available - at my school they were available in the library - or through student government/law review/other student organizations). Sometimes profs won't release previous exams, but they'll usually give you one or two in class as the exam approaches.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jk148706

Gold

Post by jk148706 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:57 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
jk148706 wrote:Where does one get these practice exams you all speak of?
Through your school/professor. Schools usually have banks of previous exams (either officially available - at my school they were available in the library - or through student government/law review/other student organizations). Sometimes profs won't release previous exams, but they'll usually give you one or two in class as the exam approaches.
Ok thanks. Was worried I was supposed to be buying these things during my 0L summer

Captain Rodeo

Bronze

Post by Captain Rodeo » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:30 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Brief every case, including note cases*. That's the key. Many times the entire exam is based on them. It takes 80 hours a week but it's worth it.

* Pull them up on lexis.

What's the difference between a case and Lexis Nexus note case? And the entire exam can be based off the former or latter (both?) ?

Great thread by the way

First Offense

Platinum

Post by First Offense » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:27 pm

Captain Rodeo wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Brief every case, including note cases*. That's the key. Many times the entire exam is based on them. It takes 80 hours a week but it's worth it.

* Pull them up on lexis.

What's the difference between a case and Lexis Nexus note case? And the entire exam can be based off the former or latter (both?) ?

Great thread by the way
He was certainly joking. Briefing cases is pretty much universally a waste of time no matter your learning style (with a possible, mini-exception for ConLaw). Also, cases in the casebook tend to be edited fairly heavily to eliminate the questions of law that don't really fit with the class/issue being discussed, (doesn't make sense to go over whether a pleading met the Twiqbal requirement in a case talking about Proximate Cause, for instance), while cases in Westlaw/Lexis (the real troll was he said use Lexis instead of Westlaw for anything) are unedited and full of all the procedural questions you will only be really dealing with in one class.

Basically - stop being so damn gullible. Don't do 0L prep for the love of god.

foundingfather

Silver

Post by foundingfather » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:59 pm

I'm going to be trolled into the bottom of the class thanks to this thread

brb 80-90 hours/week of law school

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Captain Rodeo

Bronze

Post by Captain Rodeo » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:22 pm

First Offense wrote:
Captain Rodeo wrote:

* Pull them up on lexis.

Great thread by the way
He was certainly joking. Briefing cases is pretty much universally a waste of time no matter your learning style (with a possible, mini-exception for ConLaw). Also, cases in the casebook tend to be edited fairly heavily to eliminate the questions of law that don't really fit with the class/issue being discussed, (doesn't make sense to go over whether a pleading met the Twiqbal requirement in a case talking about Proximate Cause, for instance), while cases in Westlaw/Lexis (the real troll was he said use Lexis instead of Westlaw for anything) are unedited and full of all the procedural questions you will only be really dealing with in one class.

Basically - stop being so damn gullible. Don't do 0L prep for the love of god.

Haha, thank you. Thanks for taking the time to clear that up. I'm really gullible, and especially with this topic.

Captain Rodeo

Bronze

Post by Captain Rodeo » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:23 pm

foundingfather wrote:I'm going to be trolled into the bottom of the class thanks to this thread

brb 80-90 hours/week of law school

I actually laughed out loud. Now I'm suspicious about this whole damn thread

Abbie Doobie

Silver

Post by Abbie Doobie » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:29 pm

I finished 1L top of my pt class. 40-50 hours a week on school and 50+ hours a week on my full-time job as an engineer. Imagine spending half your week trying to master four different types of law while also trying to design and develop power generation systems the other half. Imagine what that does to your brain. Just imagine it.

foundingfather

Silver

Post by foundingfather » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:54 pm

Abbie Doobie wrote:I finished 1L top of my pt class. 40-50 hours a week on school and 50+ hours a week on my full-time job as an engineer. Imagine spending half your week trying to master four different types of law while also trying to design and develop power generation systems the other half. Imagine what that does to your brain. Just imagine it.
Is this a recommendation? because I'll do it if I have to

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”