Moving expenses to law school

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Black_Swan

Moving expenses to law school

Postby Black_Swan » Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:50 pm

I know many people here come from Undergrad and possibly lived with family before law school, but for those that worked a few years and perhaps also had family/so, how much did you spend on moving to the school of your choice? Was this a factor when deciding where to attend school? Did you move belongings across state or sell everything? Moved into dorms?
If you shipped your belongings, what services did you use? I may be moving coast to coast, and wondering if it is worth shipping stuff or just try to sell everything. Also I don't see myself leaving in a shared door room but won't go for a pricey on campus housing either. Wondering if it is worth it keeping all my stuff for a cheaper housing near campus.

NavyOfficer23

Re: Moving expenses to law school

Postby NavyOfficer23 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:35 am

Depending on the distance and how much stuff you have, it can be anywhere from $1000-$5000 for a couple and/or small family. Commercial moving companies can come pack all your belongings and take all your furniture, or you can DIY. As someone who has moved many times, I always enjoy someone else moving my stuff. It makes a difficult experience a bit more manageable. I have used Allied and generally had good experiences. You can get multiple quotes from companies though. We didn't sell many things before moving just because we wanted to have as little to do and buy once we got to law school. The cost of moving was not much a factor for me since, unless you're moving across town, it's going to be expensive and a hassle. Also, in the end, that one-time cost just rolls into the overall cost of law school and is a relatively small amount. Hope that helps.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:30 pm

I've also moved a bunch, and always used a moving company. DIY is a real pain in the ass.

Do you have a bunch of nice furniture worth keeping? If you're just coming from undergrad and your furniture is a bunch of ready to assemble IKEA stuff and a ratty couch that smells like pot, I would try to sell/donate it, and just buy new cheap furniture wherever you're going. Moving becomes much less difficult if you're just talking about small stuff (boxes of clothes, books, some pots and pans, etc)

samcro_op

Postby samcro_op » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:53 pm

I was able to just pack up my car and then buy what I needed when I got to the school. What helped to make this affordable was moving in before the 1st of August. This way I was able to score some great deals on all the students moving out of their places since most leases end in July in the town I live in. I just refreshed craigslist every hour or so and used Amazon Prime to buy the rest.

Black_Swan

Postby Black_Swan » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:06 pm

NavyOfficer23 wrote:Depending on the distance and how much stuff you have, it can be anywhere from $1000-$5000 for a couple and/or small family. Commercial moving companies can come pack all your belongings and take all your furniture, or you can DIY. As someone who has moved many times, I always enjoy someone else moving my stuff. It makes a difficult experience a bit more manageable. I have used Allied and generally had good experiences. You can get multiple quotes from companies though. We didn't sell many things before moving just because we wanted to have as little to do and buy once we got to law school. The cost of moving was not much a factor for me since, unless you're moving across town, it's going to be expensive and a hassle. Also, in the end, that one-time cost just rolls into the overall cost of law school and is a relatively small amount. Hope that helps.

Thanks!
Last edited by Black_Swan on Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Black_Swan

Postby Black_Swan » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:19 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:I've also moved a bunch, and always used a moving company. DIY is a real pain in the ass.

Do you have a bunch of nice furniture worth keeping? If you're just coming from undergrad and your furniture is a bunch of ready to assemble IKEA stuff and a ratty couch that smells like pot, I would try to sell/donate it, and just buy new cheap furniture wherever you're going. Moving becomes much less difficult if you're just talking about small stuff (boxes of clothes, books, some pots and pans, etc)

True my stuff is for the most part from IKEA (pricer pieces), relatively new and well preserved. I have been quoted $1300 for a small studio which I thought was ok unless there are other hidden costs. I am now thinking I am better off selling since I will be moving from one cost to the other and on campus makes more sense if I end up at my first choice. Now I have to go through my closet and get rid of valuable things and try to sell my music instruments.

follywood

Postby follywood » Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:14 pm

Black Swan, I may be in the same position as you. I also have been working several years out of undergrad, building rental history and the belongings that come with it.

I have moved states before and I rented a truck and drove it myself. Yes, it was more of a hassle than working with movers, but it cost far less. In fact, because the rental company needed more trucks in the state I was going, I paid a fraction of what I paid to move again, through the same company (Penske). Plus, once I got going, it was fun. Shop around. I was surprised by the various quotes.

Will you be getting rid of some things? If there are some things you can part with (e.g. books, furniture, kitchen things, vacuum), do it, then restock on these things later. As posters have pointed out, Ikea and Craigslist are great resources. I am amazed at how many of my things I found on the side of the road or through friends.

The cheapest way will be for you to move it yourself. Yes, you may be able to put some of your loan into the move, but that's money you will have to pay back later. In my opinion, the cheapest method is the best one. Will you be bringing a car?

Ron Mexico

Postby Ron Mexico » Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:16 pm

goodwill dude

ashley82929

Postby ashley82929 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:24 pm

Interesting thread. If I end up at my top choice i'll be across the country as well. I'm leaning toward selling all my stuff that doesn't fit in my little saturn. (whether my saturn will make it across the country is another story) I'm just worried about coming up with enough money for big city rent/deposit after coming straight out of undergrad.

girlrunning

Postby girlrunning » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:44 am

Hired movers to pack the U-Haul (worth the money). SO and I had/have really nice furniture and quickly realized selling was less ROI than just packing it up and driving it to our new home. We tossed or donated whatever small IKEA furniture/trinkets we had. I think it's very different if you have an SO/fam. who will be living with you while you go to school. I could have done without "nice" things, but felt my SO (considering SO supports my COL) deserved to have a real "home." This was also part of the decision as far as where to live (no student housing).

If you're just moving and living on campus/near campus/grad housing, you should just pack your car and head out. 8)

Edit: Overall cost: too much overall (we had to have two concurrent leases because it was cheaper than breaking it off early), but maybe less than $200 for movers to empty the entire apt. of boxes and furniture (had already prepared everything). We used a local company with great reviews.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”