Grade on Bar Exam Important?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Psingh

Grade on Bar Exam Important?

Postby Psingh » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:43 am

So I'm a 0L and know nothing about this whole bar exam business. My question is what kind of raw score do you need to "pass the bar exam" in New York for example? Also does it matter what score you get or as long as you meet a certain threshold you're okay, (very much unlike the LSAT)? If you were to get 90% on the bar exam would that be something employers care about or do they only care about your law school marks and the fact that you've passed the bar?

mi-chan17

Re: Grade on Bar Exam Important?

Postby mi-chan17 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:01 pm

The raw score required to pass, and how you have to earn it, varies from state to state. Some states require a baseline score on each section (i.e. you have to pass the MBE and you have to pass the essays/PTs/whatever else), and others only require that your cumulative score be above a certain threshold (which allows you do make up for a bad section with one you're better at). I don't know NY's specific requirements, but if you go to their bar's website, it should tell you.

Unlike the LSAT, how much you pass by doesn't matter; you're looking for the bare minimum passing score, nothing else. In my state, you don't even receive your scores if you pass - they just tell you you passed. Employers pretty much only care about what my job is, whether or not I'm a member of the bar, and my law school/grades/etc.

Psingh

Re: Grade on Bar Exam Important?

Postby Psingh » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:26 pm

Thanks a lot

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”