Resume and LinkedIn Question Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Kafkaesquire

Bronze

Resume and LinkedIn Question

Post by Kafkaesquire » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:16 am

I usually ask less tedious questions.

I have a LinkedIn account that was seen by a potential employer. Later, I approached that employer for hire, bringing my resume.

Would it have necessarily looked bad if my resume was my LinkedIn reformatted verbatim? Or, should my resume and my LinkedIn page have contained mutually exclusive information or wording? If so, be specific.

Thanks.

arklaw13

Gold

Re: Resume and LinkedIn Question

Post by arklaw13 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:27 am

Kafkaesquire wrote:I usually ask less tedious questions.

I have a LinkedIn account that was seen by a potential employer. Later, I approached that employer for hire, bringing my resume.

Would it have necessarily looked bad if my resume was my LinkedIn reformatted verbatim? Or, should my resume and my LinkedIn page have contained mutually exclusive information or wording? If so, be specific.

Thanks.
My linkedin contains exactly what is on my resume, plus a few minor jobs that wouldn't fit on the one page. I don't think it will really matter much.

Kafkaesquire

Bronze

Post by Kafkaesquire » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:12 pm

I have another concern. It's about using people's names on my resume and LinkedIn.

I was an editor one summer. I edited the work of a published author, so I include her name on my resume and LinkedIn. I also apprenticed under a professional editor. Should I keep her name on my resume or LinkedIn?

What about the names of certain bosses? I have been hired by people individually for contract work, so I have always used their names on my resume and LinkedIn.

arklaw13

Gold

Post by arklaw13 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:21 pm

Kafkaesquire wrote:I have another concern. It's about using people's names on my resume and LinkedIn.

I was an editor one summer. I edited the work of a published author, so I include her name on my resume and LinkedIn. I also apprenticed under a professional editor. Should I keep her name on my resume or LinkedIn?

What about the names of certain bosses? I have been hired by people individually for contract work, so I have always used their names on my resume and LinkedIn.
That's probably industry specific. I would ask someone else in that field.

J-e-L-L-o

Bronze

Post by J-e-L-L-o » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:25 pm

I wouldn't post specific names on Linked just on general purpose common courtesy. Web sites have security issues and LinkedIn has been hacked before.

I would never put someone's name on a resume. Why would you? If I worked for Apple would I say I wrote memos for Steve Cook or would I say for the CEO.

Resumes are for descriptions of your work experience not for name dropping. I would take a different approach and use a cover letter for that purpose or explain that you will provide a contact sheet for references of your various contracts.

edit:
I am a 0L but I have a technical resume and had a few talks during networking events on how to use LinkedIn.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”